Current status of SSM in the holdout states (MAP)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:11:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Current status of SSM in the holdout states (MAP)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Current status of SSM in the holdout states (MAP)  (Read 22421 times)
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2015, 02:19:55 PM »

This is fycked up.  They can't fire her for not doing this but they can jail her?

The world is oh so much safer I'm sure with her behind bars.   

She defied a direct court order. Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2015, 02:21:55 PM »

This is fycked up.  They can't fire her for not doing this but they can jail her?

She defied a direct court order. Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

This isn't monopoly, we are talking about real people.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2015, 02:22:53 PM »

If you are I broke the law and refused to abide by a Court order what do you think would happen?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2015, 02:25:07 PM »

Again, what would you propose instead?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2015, 02:26:40 PM »

Kentucky county clerk who denied gay marriage licenses has been divorced three times, had children out of wedlock.

But it's OK now, because she has been saved and God forgives her!

Anyway, denying other people access to basic civil equality =/= "religious freedom."
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2015, 02:29:53 PM »

If you are I broke the law and refused to abide by a Court order what do you think would happen?

It's clear what would happen.  The Courts can lock up anyone they like for the stupidest of reasons.  And liberals across the country are celebrating.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2015, 02:31:36 PM »

It's clear what would happen.  The Courts can lock up anyone they like for the stupidest of reasons.  And liberals across the country are celebrating.

Breaking the law and not following a direct court order is a stupid reason?
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2015, 02:33:36 PM »

They locked her up not as a punishment, but as a way to try to compel her to follow the law. Real people are not able to obtain essential services because of her obstinacy. That's the real issue here.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2015, 02:34:30 PM »

Judges have contempt of court as a means of enforcing court orders. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2015, 02:36:57 PM »

If it's not worth removing her from office, then it is not worth jailing her.   If she is duly elected and can't be removed because her office is a trust from the people, then she is answerable to the people who can choose not to reelect her.  Or, if she is answerable to the law for her duties, then there should be a way to directly remove her from her office if she is not abiding by them.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2015, 02:38:21 PM »

And if there's not? People from her county are just supposed to be denied the services she's refusing to offer until then?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2015, 02:40:59 PM »

This whole saga is a reminder of how dangerous and insidious religion can be when it is used as a moral shield in the service of bigotry and discrimination. These people can't even admit that they are  personally bothered by homosexuality, because they honestly believe (or rather, have been taught to believe) that it is "God's word," and that's the end of the conversation for them.

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2015, 02:45:00 PM »

They locked her up not as a punishment, but as a way to try to compel her to follow the law. Real people are not able to obtain essential services because of her obstinacy. That's the real issue here.

"Essential services?" People for now have to get their marriage license in the next county.  Yes, it's not great but is that really the most burdensome thing in the world?   I would love to be in a position where I had to get my marriage license in the next county.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2015, 02:46:23 PM »

This is fycked up.  They can't fire her for not doing this but they can jail her?

It's clear what would happen.  The Courts can lock up anyone they like for the stupidest of reasons.  And liberals across the country are celebrating.

It's just like my one friend who used to work in the courtroom once said:

"The judge can't make you pay your child support, he can only make you wish you had."
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2015, 02:47:11 PM »

This is fycked up.  They can't fire her for not doing this but they can jail her?

It's clear what would happen.  The Courts can lock up anyone they like for the stupidest of reasons.  And liberals across the country are celebrating.

"Essential services?" People for now have to get their marriage license in the next county.  Yes, it's not great but is that really the most burdensome thing in the world?   I would love to be in a position where I had to get my marriage license in the next county.

Why should they have to? Why should this lady's desire to not do her job trump that? I don't understand why that's so important. And again, she could get out of jail this very second if she just agreed to do her job.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2015, 02:52:05 PM »

"Essential services?" People for now have to get their marriage license in the next county.  Yes, it's not great but is that really the most burdensome thing in the world?   I would love to be in a position where I had to get my marriage license in the next county.

Why should they have to? Why should this lady's desire to not do her job trump that? I don't understand why that's so important. And again, she could get out of jail this very second if she just agreed to do her job.

People should not be jailed for trivialities.  It is sad we live in an age where "liberals" cannot understand this.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2015, 02:53:54 PM »

I'm all for SSM, but this is pretty excessive. To say the least.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2015, 02:54:33 PM »

I'm all for SSM, but this is pretty excessive. To say the least.
Pretty much this.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2015, 02:55:02 PM »

"Essential services?" People for now have to get their marriage license in the next county.  Yes, it's not great but is that really the most burdensome thing in the world?   I would love to be in a position where I had to get my marriage license in the next county.

People should not be jailed for trivialities.  It is sad we live in an age where "liberals" cannot understand this.

She's not being jailed for trivialities. Unless you consider setting the precedent of allowing people to willfully disobey federal court orders trivial.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2015, 02:56:05 PM »

Why is it trivial for someone turned away from getting a marriage licence? Do they not matter?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2015, 03:00:13 PM »

Honestly, I'm amazed by the fact many people seem to think it's okay to jail people for not doing their job. This is simply taking it too far.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2015, 03:01:39 PM »

If it's not worth removing her from office, then it is not worth jailing her.   If she is duly elected and can't be removed because her office is a trust from the people, then she is answerable to the people who can choose not to reelect her.  Or, if she is answerable to the law for her duties, then there should be a way to directly remove her from her office if she is not abiding by them.

No, a federal judge cannot remove a state elected official from office for a number of reasons. It simply cannot be done. Actually, it doesn't really have anything to do with her being an elected official. Judges don't fire people. That's not how the law works. Whether or not her "employer" (the people of her county, as you point out) choose to "fire" her has nothing whatsoever to do with how federal law applies to her.

You understand that this is true of any case, right? When a congressman gets indicted on corruption charges, whether or not they resign their house seat won't effect whether they are convicted and go to jail. Same thing with private companies. When a CEO does something illegal, a judge doesn't fire them, the board does. The courts just apply the law to them.

Now you also understand that she's not being charged with a crime here, right? She's not serving a prison sentence. She doesn't have to stay in jail any longer than she chooses to.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2015, 03:02:22 PM »

He can't remove her from office. The law doesn't give that possibility. He can either fine her or jail her to force her to do her job or to resign. The judge said fines wouldn't work, as she is getting plenty of fundraising from social soncervatives to pay them, so he has only one choice for it.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2015, 03:04:01 PM »

Five of her six deputies have decided that they'd rather not go to jail and will begin issuing marriage licenses tomorrow.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/09/03/rowan-county-ky-court-clerk-marriage-licenses-gays/71635794/
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2015, 03:05:12 PM »

Honestly, I'm amazed by the fact many people seem to think it's okay to jail people for not doing their job. This is simply taking it too far.

It is excessive, but US legal system doesn't offer any other choice.

You don't pay alimony, court can't force you to pay, so they apply pressure on you through fines of jailtime to compel you. Same logic here. Court are using the few means they can use to make respect the law.

It would much simpler if the court could say "Do it or you lose your office", but they legally can't do that.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies