Current status of SSM in the holdout states (MAP)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:30:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Current status of SSM in the holdout states (MAP)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9
Author Topic: Current status of SSM in the holdout states (MAP)  (Read 22295 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: September 03, 2015, 05:31:51 PM »

Jesus shua you sound like a goddam fool. You really do. You're critiquing constitutional law and somersaulting over logic to support a narcissist who won't do her job or allow those she has authority over to do theirs.

You may have trouble keeping up with my line of thought but that's no reason to get nasty.

I'm not being nasty. You sound foolish. Sleep on it and read what you've been saying in the morning.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #151 on: September 03, 2015, 05:37:02 PM »

Jesus shua you sound like a goddam fool. You really do. You're critiquing constitutional law and somersaulting over logic to support a narcissist who won't do her job or allow those she has authority over to do theirs.

You may have trouble keeping up with my line of thought but that's no reason to get nasty.

"the gays are just not smart enough to understand why they shouldn't have rights "

I'm guessing you've never truly thought about the meaning of rights at all beyond a buzzfeed level discourse.   
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #152 on: September 03, 2015, 05:39:48 PM »

"the gays are just not smart enough to understand why they shouldn't have rights "

I'm guessing you've never truly thought about the meaning of rights at all beyond a buzzfeed level discourse.   

that guess is about as accurate as the rest of your "contributions" to this thread
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #153 on: September 03, 2015, 05:43:38 PM »

shua what would you propose be done with some bureaucrat who prevented people in a certain region from being able to register to vote.

You need to be registered to vote in a certain county in order to vote in that county.  You do not need to be registered as married in a certain county in order to be considered married as a resident of that county.  So the situations are not quite comparable as to the severity of the situation and the need for an immediate remedy.  The laws of KY should be updated to reflect the situation in an era where SSM is legal, which they haven't yet.  There's no need for the Court to bring down its wrath at this point.

btw, as a general rule, I don't think the legal recognition of a marriage should ultimately depend on the obtaining of a license.

If all it takes to deny marriage licenses is for a county clerk to refuse to issue them and there are NO consequences for doing so, there will be a lot more county clerks doing this. Really this line of logic is ridiculous. Why should Rowan County, KY be the only county in the country where one can not get a same-sex marriage license? Because one woman doesn't like it?

I am not suggesting that as a long-range solution, I was explaining why that would not be a matter of immediate threat before the legislature could deal with the issue of officials who refuse to do this part of their duties.

But it seems to be your position that federal judges should never be able to jail anyone for contempt, no?

I will not claim never but it is fundamentally problematic and should be limited.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #154 on: September 03, 2015, 05:45:26 PM »

I'm not being nasty. You sound foolish. Sleep on it and read what you've been saying in the morning.

I haven't had a good night sleep lately so it may be a while before my mind reaches afleitch levels of spontaneous enlightenment.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #155 on: September 03, 2015, 05:50:57 PM »

I haven't had a good night sleep lately so it may be a while before my mind reaches afleitch levels of spontaneous enlightenment.

To succeed that you may need to become the next Rip Van Winkle.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #156 on: September 03, 2015, 06:02:18 PM »

It may require a persistent vegetative state before I come to the conclusion that someone being a narcissist means I should be perfectly ok with jailing them.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #157 on: September 03, 2015, 06:07:47 PM »

You're just being intentionally dense at this point, right? It has to be that.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #158 on: September 03, 2015, 06:16:16 PM »

This woman is brilliant. Lifelong poor from rural Kentucky, a string of failed marriages, multiple kids by different men, probably thought she'd never break out.

Until ... she realized how dumb and gullible "conservative Christians" are and realized all she had to do was refuse to issue gay marriage licenses and the money would flow in. She's going to be a millionaire. She's actually going to change social classes. Bravo to her -- a true exemplar of the American Dream.

You'd think the Right wouldn't fall for this silliness yet again, but I guess not. I wonder if I could somehow make some money myself with this scam...
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #159 on: September 03, 2015, 06:56:05 PM »

Personally I find it sickening that people can be jailed without even being charged with a crime.

It is a failure of her not doing her job, not that she has done anything she shouldn't have.  Is this a matter of criminal law or isn't it?  I can't fathom why it should be.
Well, if you want to turn it from civil contempt to a criminal case, then how about fraud for taking pay for a job she isn't doing?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #160 on: September 03, 2015, 07:27:38 PM »

It may require a persistent vegetative state before I come to the conclusion that someone being a narcissist means I should be perfectly ok with jailing them.

She isn't being jailed for being a narcissist, she is being jailed for breaking the law and failing to comply with a direct court order.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #161 on: September 03, 2015, 07:58:08 PM »

Shouldn't this case have its own thread rather than hijacking this one?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #162 on: September 03, 2015, 08:48:27 PM »

She isn't being jailed for being a narcissist, she is being jailed for breaking the law and failing to comply with a direct court order.

Yes, and?  I was responding to afleitch's whining about how ashamed I should be.
Panda Express

« Reply #163 on: September 03, 2015, 09:50:59 PM »

shua should be jailed for always being wrong
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #164 on: September 03, 2015, 09:53:23 PM »

I myself do not like jailing for contempt of court. But, unfortunately, this is how the system is set up: that is the tool the courts got.

On a related note Smiley

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4087802,00.html

If the law gives the court only the power to jail, the court will jail.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #165 on: September 03, 2015, 09:53:32 PM »

shua should be jailed for always being wrong

I wish I could assume you are kidding.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #166 on: September 03, 2015, 10:10:10 PM »

So is there any map of the still existing holdouts?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #167 on: September 03, 2015, 11:37:40 PM »

She actually is upholding the Constitution of Kentucky which bans gay marriage. The Federal courts have no jurisdiction on the marriage issue plain and simple. She's upholding the law not breaking it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #168 on: September 04, 2015, 12:19:06 AM »

dear sir.

our friend Shua is one of the best posters on here for conservative thought. we don't know what you've done with him, but rest assured your clumsy parody failed and we want him safely returned. Oh, the syntax and prose is well aped i'll grant, but did you really think we wouldn't notice the complete lack of smarts in your faux-Shua imitation?

i chortled when you tried to pretend Shua wouldn't understand the difference in the Constitution restraining the actions of a government functionary as opposed to some private pizza shop. but your true failing was pretending he ccouldn't comprehend that contempt of court was punishable by judicial sanctions, and <laugh> the proper remedy for aggrieved gay couples was to <chuckle> "drive to another county".

your jig is up sir. release our dear Shua at once so we can again appriciate his generally strong contributions to the forum, rather than your shameful efforts portraying him as an obstinate blockhead . otherwise i shall be forced to contact the authorities and get a court order! and although Shua would know this of course, it may surprise you to learn that defying said order could result in being jailed for contempt.

#FreeShua
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #169 on: September 04, 2015, 01:00:09 AM »

Badger that had some puzzling and/or facile interpretations of what I said but I appreciate the compliments nonetheless.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #170 on: September 04, 2015, 06:59:20 AM »

Badger that had some puzzling and/or facile interpretations of what I said but I appreciate the compliments nonetheless.
What you've been saying in this thread has been puzzling and/or facile. #FreeShua
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #171 on: September 04, 2015, 10:40:20 AM »

What you've been saying in this thread has been puzzling and/or facile. #FreeShua

Puzzling I'll grant you, but that's no reason to be patronizing.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #172 on: September 04, 2015, 11:06:33 AM »

"Bunning indicated Kim Davis would remain in jail at least a week, saying he would revisit his decision after the deputy clerks have had time to comply with his order."
http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2015/09/kim-davis-remains-in-jail-kentucky-couples-come-and-get-marriage-licenses/3/
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #173 on: September 04, 2015, 11:33:01 AM »

Here is a video of the confrontation of the gay couple and the clerk who refused to issue them a marriage license. It's quite dramatic really, with one of the gay guys sort of sounding like I would sound in that situation.

She really should stay in jail until she resigns, unless the court really has the power to cut her out of the loop, in which event her authority over her clerks is at an end. That strikes me as problematical. I can see how her refusing to issue SSM licenses comports with her religious conscience, but what I cannot see, and what she did not answer in the video, is why her religious beliefs impel her to try to hold onto a job, that she simply cannot perform per her religious beliefs. It would be like someone who is a pacifist in an army platoon demanding to hold onto his or her job while refusing to shoot a gun. So my conscience does not bother me having her rot in jail until she does the right thing. She will get out if all else fails, when her term of office expires. I assume that she cannot run for reelection while in jail.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #174 on: September 04, 2015, 11:46:08 AM »

She actually is upholding the Constitution of Kentucky which bans gay marriage. The Federal courts have no jurisdiction on the marriage issue plain and simple. She's upholding the law not breaking it.

You know better than this. SCOTUS has interpreted the US Constitution as requiring states to issue licenses for SSM's. This tendency of some SoCons to feel entitled to ignore the rule of law is quite disturbing actually. If you don't like the law, work through the democratic system to try to change it. Just get Cruz, or someone of his ilk, elected POTUS, along with enough similarly minded Senators,  and have him stack the Supreme Court with judges who agree with your point of view. Or cause a Constitutional convention to be held, and enact in the revised Constitutions a provision that gays have no rights, or no marriage rights, or whatever floats your boat. But believing that one is above the law, as interpreted by the Courts, is the road to chaos and anarchy, if that point of view were carried out to its logical conclusion.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies