Current status of SSM in the holdout states (MAP) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:10:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Current status of SSM in the holdout states (MAP) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Current status of SSM in the holdout states (MAP)  (Read 22526 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: September 03, 2015, 04:23:36 PM »

This is fycked up.  They can't fire her for not doing this but they can jail her?

The world is oh so much safer I'm sure with her behind bars.   

They can't fire her because she's a state official. She has two easy options though:

1-Comply with federal law.
2-Resign her position so someone who will comply will take over.

Do either one and she's out easily. Do her job or make it so that someone else will. How else to handle it?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 04:27:31 PM »

It also appears that the judge would've preferred a fine, but understood a fine would've done no good because she could easily get it fundraised from others.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 04:31:16 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2015, 04:36:58 PM by The Year Summer Ended In July »

shua what would you propose be done with some bureaucrat who prevented people in a certain region from being able to register to vote?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 04:59:59 PM »

shua what would you propose be done with some bureaucrat who prevented people in a certain region from being able to register to vote.

You need to be registered to vote in a certain county in order to vote in that county.  You do not need to be registered as married in a certain county in order to be considered married as a resident of that county.  So the situations are not quite comparable as to the severity of the situation and the need for an immediate remedy.  The laws of KY should be updated to reflect the situation in an era where SSM is legal, which they haven't yet.  There's no need for the Court to bring down its wrath at this point.

btw, as a general rule, I don't think the legal recognition of a marriage should ultimately depend on the obtaining of a license.

If all it takes to deny marriage licenses is for a county clerk to refuse to issue them and there are NO consequences for doing so, there will be a lot more county clerks doing this. Really this line of logic is ridiculous. Why should Rowan County, KY be the only county in the country where one can not get a same-sex marriage license? Because one woman doesn't like it?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies