Current status of SSM in the holdout states (MAP) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:12:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Current status of SSM in the holdout states (MAP) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Current status of SSM in the holdout states (MAP)  (Read 22499 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« on: July 02, 2015, 01:26:00 PM »

Kansas should be orange as the state government is still refusing to recognize the issued licenses as valid.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 01:40:12 AM »

I was honestly surprised our idiot AG here in MI didn't try and go the nullification route.

Probably happened because Snyder didn't want to go that route.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 05:03:39 PM »

Down to 20 holdout and 2 unknown now. Alabama has 12 holdouts, Kentucky and Texas each have 4. One county in both of the later states have joined.

Combined, the remaining states make up 0.13% of the population.

Come on Alabama, it's been over a month now.

Absent the national guard forcing every county office to comply, there will be at least 1 holdout county in AL for all of time. Even hundreds of years from now, there will still be at least 1 holdout county in AL. I'm completely serious.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 09:25:16 PM »

GOP Presidential Candidates' positions on this (only a few have actually said something):

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2015/09/kentucky-clerks-defiance-is-a-test-for-gop-rivals/
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 11:06:33 AM »

"Bunning indicated Kim Davis would remain in jail at least a week, saying he would revisit his decision after the deputy clerks have had time to comply with his order."
http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2015/09/kim-davis-remains-in-jail-kentucky-couples-come-and-get-marriage-licenses/3/
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 11:48:37 AM »

Here is a video of the confrontation of the gay couple and the clerk who refused to issue them a marriage license. It's quite dramatic really, with one of the gay guys sort of sounding like I would sound in that situation.

She really should stay in jail until she resigns, unless the court really has the power to cut her out of the loop, in which event her authority over her clerks is at an end. That strikes me as problematical. I can see how her refusing to issue SSM licenses comports with her religious conscience, but what I cannot see, and what she did not answer in the video, is why her religious beliefs impel her to try to hold onto a job, that she simply cannot perform per her religious beliefs. It would be like someone who is a pacifist in an army platoon demanding to hold onto his or her job while refusing to shoot a gun. So my conscience does not bother me having her rot in jail until she does the right thing. She will get out if all else fails, when her term of office expires. I assume that she cannot run for reelection while in jail.

She's not resigning in order to make a stand on the point that county clerks should not be forced to violate their religious beliefs on this issue. If she resigns, she's conceding that she was wrong to not issue the licenses.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 12:05:13 PM »

Here is a video of the confrontation of the gay couple and the clerk who refused to issue them a marriage license. It's quite dramatic really, with one of the gay guys sort of sounding like I would sound in that situation.

She really should stay in jail until she resigns, unless the court really has the power to cut her out of the loop, in which event her authority over her clerks is at an end. That strikes me as problematical. I can see how her refusing to issue SSM licenses comports with her religious conscience, but what I cannot see, and what she did not answer in the video, is why her religious beliefs impel her to try to hold onto a job, that she simply cannot perform per her religious beliefs. It would be like someone who is a pacifist in an army platoon demanding to hold onto his or her job while refusing to shoot a gun. So my conscience does not bother me having her rot in jail until she does the right thing. She will get out if all else fails, when her term of office expires. I assume that she cannot run for reelection while in jail.

She's not resigning in order to make a stand on the point that county clerks should not be forced to violate their religious beliefs on this issue. If she resigns, she's conceding that she was wrong to not issue the licenses.

Yes, and that is the problem. It is not really about her religious conscience, but rather about her belief that she is above the civil law, and need only follow "God's law." Given that mentality, it's jail time, and that is true even if one wants to assert that her religious conscience requires her to ignore civil law whenever the two conflict. Hey, the longer she stays in jail, the more of martyr she can feel that she is, so maybe it's all worth it for her. Hopefully they cut off her pay while she is in jail (80K a year I might add, which seems excessive for a rather menial job in a rather small rural county with a low cost of living, but I digress).

The salary can only be taken away by the legislature. And the republican controlled Senate is pretty solidly in support of Davis.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 06:07:13 PM »

The page is still on the august 21 version...
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 12:43:29 AM »

Huckabee compares putting Kim Davis in jail to the Dred Scott Decision:

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2015/09/mike-huckabee-compares-kim-davis-fight-against-marriage-equality-to-abraham-lincolns-fight-against-slavery/
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 01:48:08 PM »

Kim Davis released from Jail, but may go back if she interferes with her deputies issuing of SSM licenses.
http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2015/09/breaking-kim-davis-is-being-released-from-jail/
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 09:44:23 PM »

Davis is the one who altered the licenses to remove her name. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/09/14/440215241/kim-davis-back-at-work-but-remains-defiant

She now has de facto the accommodation she was looking for.  I guess that means we live in a theocracy and gays no longer have any rights, or something.

She could've just done this from the beginning and not caused such a scene, but okay, it's always the liberals' fault in your world when it comes to LGBT rights.

What she wanted was for her office not to have to issue marriage licenses at all. Her acceptance of her deputies issuing licenses that don't have her signature on them is actually her accepting a compromise, not what she actually wants. Also, I hope you were being sarcastic about the theocracy thing, but if you aren't, no, this doesn't mean that. The licenses are being issued, the odds are that they are valid (Davis is not a legal authority, the State Attorney General is), the only thing that has changed is the identity of the person that is being asked to issue them.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 09:59:42 PM »

Now I want to know if this will affect Alabama. They're doing the same thing Davis did, but they weren't sued.

Alabama is conservative enough to let this happen. If some district judge tries to change things, Roy Moore is willing to stand at the door to the jail and fight to the death to keep the county clerk out of prison.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies