Current status of SSM in the holdout states (MAP) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:09:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Current status of SSM in the holdout states (MAP) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Current status of SSM in the holdout states (MAP)  (Read 22741 times)
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« on: September 01, 2015, 11:35:41 AM »

You just know she winds up with a sweetheart gig as the poster child for the government persecuting Christians. She'll be on the speaking circuit and probably churn out a column or two every month for a couple of crazy websites, and she'll wind up financially much better off than she was before.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 02:33:36 PM »

This is fycked up.  They can't fire her for not doing this but they can jail her?

The world is oh so much safer I'm sure with her behind bars.   

She defied a direct court order. Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

This isn't monopoly, we are talking about real people.

If you are I broke the law and refused to abide by a Court order what do you think would happen?

It's clear what would happen.  The Courts can lock up anyone they like for the stupidest of reasons.  And liberals across the country are celebrating.

They locked her up not as a punishment, but as a way to try to compel her to follow the law. Real people are not able to obtain essential services because of her obstinacy. That's the real issue here.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 02:38:21 PM »

And if there's not? People from her county are just supposed to be denied the services she's refusing to offer until then?
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 02:47:11 PM »

This is fycked up.  They can't fire her for not doing this but they can jail her?

She defied a direct court order. Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

If you are I broke the law and refused to abide by a Court order what do you think would happen?

It's clear what would happen.  The Courts can lock up anyone they like for the stupidest of reasons.  And liberals across the country are celebrating.

They locked her up not as a punishment, but as a way to try to compel her to follow the law. Real people are not able to obtain essential services because of her obstinacy. That's the real issue here.

"Essential services?" People for now have to get their marriage license in the next county.  Yes, it's not great but is that really the most burdensome thing in the world?   I would love to be in a position where I had to get my marriage license in the next county.

Why should they have to? Why should this lady's desire to not do her job trump that? I don't understand why that's so important. And again, she could get out of jail this very second if she just agreed to do her job.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 02:55:02 PM »

This is fycked up.  They can't fire her for not doing this but they can jail her?

It's clear what would happen.  The Courts can lock up anyone they like for the stupidest of reasons.  And liberals across the country are celebrating.

"Essential services?" People for now have to get their marriage license in the next county.  Yes, it's not great but is that really the most burdensome thing in the world?   I would love to be in a position where I had to get my marriage license in the next county.

Why should they have to? Why should this lady's desire to not do her job trump that? I don't understand why that's so important. And again, she could get out of jail this very second if she just agreed to do her job.

People should not be jailed for trivialities.  It is sad we live in an age where "liberals" cannot understand this.

She's not being jailed for trivialities. Unless you consider setting the precedent of allowing people to willfully disobey federal court orders trivial.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 03:39:21 PM »

So what's the remedy? How do you discourage people like her from disobeying court orders?
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 04:02:50 PM »

So what's the remedy? How do you discourage people like her from disobeying court orders?

Why in the first place are federal judges making orders concerning the duties of county offices?  Wouldn't it make sense to drop the pretense of local control and just make them employees of the federal government?

Local employees are still bound by the supreme law of the land.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 06:07:47 PM »

You're just being intentionally dense at this point, right? It has to be that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies