Current status of SSM in the holdout states (MAP) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:22:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Current status of SSM in the holdout states (MAP) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Current status of SSM in the holdout states (MAP)  (Read 22736 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« on: September 02, 2015, 06:11:25 PM »

That woman's going to wind up a millionaire, just like that sh**tty pizza joint in Indiana. Bravo to her for figuring out a way to change social classes.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 01:20:33 PM »

I assume she'll also be released if she resigns, is impeached,  or her term expires?

I bet she stays in as long as possible to make a point.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 06:16:16 PM »

This woman is brilliant. Lifelong poor from rural Kentucky, a string of failed marriages, multiple kids by different men, probably thought she'd never break out.

Until ... she realized how dumb and gullible "conservative Christians" are and realized all she had to do was refuse to issue gay marriage licenses and the money would flow in. She's going to be a millionaire. She's actually going to change social classes. Bravo to her -- a true exemplar of the American Dream.

You'd think the Right wouldn't fall for this silliness yet again, but I guess not. I wonder if I could somehow make some money myself with this scam...
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 11:32:02 PM »

I get that the judge felt that a fine would be pointless given the inevitable gofundme response from fundies.  But applying steadily increasing fines for each day she refuses to do her job would have been preferable to jail, which even the affected couples did not want to see happen to her.  Also, that way, a steady stream of money could have been transferred daily from disgusting religious people and into the treasury of a county where 29% of its residents live below the poverty line.

It seems that the US District Judge who sent her to jail is a Republican appointee, who is personally opposed to gay marriage Smiley

And Kim Davis was elected as a Democrat.  We are through the looking glass here.

The Judge was concerned that if she was out of jail, she would order her staff not to issue licenses. leaving the same sex couples in the lurch. It is kind of weird. I don't know why the judge could not just order that staff could sign the licenses themselves under his authority, and order them not to follow her directives.

The Judge said for the staff to issue the licenses while she is in jail, but has admitted he's not sure if they'll be legally binding without her signature.

I wonder what it would mean for them not to be legally binding. Who would have standing to challenge them, and in what forum would they do so?

The "loser" in any divorce I guess
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies