Current status of SSM in the holdout states (MAP) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:55:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Current status of SSM in the holdout states (MAP) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Current status of SSM in the holdout states (MAP)  (Read 22491 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« on: July 02, 2015, 01:04:27 PM »
« edited: July 02, 2015, 01:47:31 PM by RG Griff »

This includes KS & MO, since those states had inconsistencies from county to county for several months prior to the ruling.

This map would have been a lot more interesting had I started it even just a couple of days ago. Louisiana, for instance, has went from red to orange to yellow to green over that same time period (it will be green officially today).

Missouri (several), Alabama (2), Kentucky (2) and Nebraska (1) each have at least one county that is still resisting the issuance of same-sex marriage licenses. Alabama also has resistance from the Supreme Court Justice, but it is largely ceremonial at this point. I debated whether to color AL yellow or orange.

Tennessee had some initial issues in 7 counties or so, but 5 of those counties were technical/in-office issues unrelated to direct objection. The 2 counties in which there has been objections have since been straightened out.

Mississippi was in the same boat as LA in terms of not enforcing it, but has since came around. There was one county clerk in MS that resigned out of protest. I do not consider resignations to be obstruction, as noted below.

Arkansas has one county clerk currently who is "waiting on word from Above" as to whether she'll issue a SSM license; no one has applied yet in her county. I consider this to be an issue.

Texas has state obstruction in the form of the AG stating that county clerks can "opt-out" based on their religious beliefs and allow someone else in the office to perform the ceremony, but this isn't always possible given the huge number of counties. I consider this effectively to be state opposition and obstruction.

Kansas is in the process of "reviewing procedures" at the Department of Revenue and the DMV, and currently is not allowing married same-sex couples to change their last names on driver's licenses or file taxes jointly.

Georgia, Michigan, North Dakota, Ohio and South Dakota had all of their counties comply with the law from Day 1, with state governments also complying in the same capacity.

(As a side-note: I think it's pretty impressive that Georgia in particular pulled this off without issue from the first day, considering it is very much like the rest of the Deep South outside of the urban areas and has 159 counties.)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 01:32:15 PM »

Kansas should be orange as the state government is still refusing to recognize the issued licenses as valid.

It's a grey area, but the licenses are being issued and as best I can tell, their validity is not being questioned. What is the current bugaboo is that driver license name changes and tax return filings are still in limbo because they're "assessing the situation". I'll consider changing it to orange, however.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies