UK MPs - 2015 Parliament (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:03:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK MPs - 2015 Parliament (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK MPs - 2015 Parliament  (Read 46330 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« on: July 24, 2015, 01:43:36 PM »

1959-64 was for a different constituency: he narrowly gained Nottingham West in one of the biggest upsets of the election (Labour did terribly in Nottingham that year, I think partly due to a nasty row between the city council and the local police chief) and then inevitably lost it in 1964. There is actually an MP who served in the 1960s who's still in the Commons, but he's had interrupted service: David Winnick was elected for Croydon South (which is mostly in the current Croydon Central) in 1966, lost it in 1970, and was then out of the Commons until he regained Walsall North for Labour in 1979. Winnick was the defeated candidate in the 1976 by-election there, a by-election triggered by the resignation of John Stonehouse (who famously faked his own death in 1974 in order to escape from the consequences of his fraudulent business activities). Stonehouse was first elected for the Wednesbury constituency at a by-election in 1957: the defeated Conservative candidate was Peter Tapsell.

The continuous requirement stopped Tony Benn from being Father of the House himself; he lost his seat in Labour's 1983 blowout and won a by-election a few months later. Which reminds me, we're not far from his son, I believe.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 12:07:20 PM »

I could, but I think I'll just link to the Hansard account as its funnier.

Here's a list from Wikipedia of other famous incidents

I see Michael Heseltine's mace swinging is in there, but not the 1990 incident involving another MP - I forget his name - doing the same... and dropping it.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 03:02:17 PM »

Think you mean Ron Brown (Edinburgh Leith) though it was 1988 not 1990.

Yes, that's the one. I would have pulled out my copy of Potty Politics from 1996 otherwise.

Yes, I have been interested in politics from a young age, although I won't say how long ago that was.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 06:14:11 AM »

Ben Bradshaw (Labour - Exeter)

Formerly a BBC correspondent, he was elected in 1997 following a bitter and homophobic campaign. He was the second openly gay MP to be out at the time of election; the first was Stephen Twigg in Enfield Southgate (21 minutes earlier). Has held the seat (one that, prior to 1997, had only been won by Labour once; Gwyneth Dunwoody in 1966) ever since. Served in the Cabinet during the later days of the previous government. Currently running for the deputy leadership as (probably) the most right-wing candidate; he even vaguely looks like the man himself.

It's also notable that Exeter is the only Labour seat in the South West - the rest is solid blue after the total Lib Dem wipeout there in May.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 09:40:12 AM »

Is Bristol no longer in the West Country? Have you heard them speak?

I stand corrected; Bristol is in the West Country. I should have said Devon or Cornwall.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 04:39:35 AM »

James Brokenshire (Conservative - Old Bexley and Sidcup)

Current Minister of State for Immigration. His surname has probably been a fictional county in something or other.

Former MP for Hornchurch from 2005 to 2010, defeating Jon Cryer (not the American actor) - the seat has since been abolished.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies