Does John Kasich Really Have a Chance?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:42:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Does John Kasich Really Have a Chance?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Does John Kasich Really Have a Chance?  (Read 5699 times)
ericpolitico
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 03, 2015, 04:32:07 AM »

Many think Kasich as Jeb-alternative, potential dark horse, and hmm competent governor

Do you think he really has a chance? and really competent?.........
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 09:11:26 AM »

No. He reminds me of Huntsman.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 09:25:32 AM »

Someone ban this dude.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 09:29:16 AM »

He has a chance, and he's certainly at least reasonably competent. But he will really need to shine in the debates and get folks enthused to have a chance, and project gravitas. He has kind of an ah-shucks quality, which is fine, as long as he can turn it off, and sound serious and thoughtful and knowledgable on policy issues. I think Pub voters in general are very open minded at this point about the candidates, and are in a wait and see mode. That is why the poll fixation at this point is rather silly, other than for the purpose of who gets in the top 10 for the first debate. Kasich may be timing his announcement to get a poll bump at just the right time for the Fox News who gets in the debate poll metric for the first debate, to maximize his chances of getting in. Or he may be timing it a bit late. We shall see.
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 09:41:43 AM »

He has as good as chance as any; Ohio gives him an opportunity to present an argument. He needs to stop being too talkative and a little less aw shucks! If he makes solid arguments in presenting his case, he has a reasonably good shot.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 10:08:18 AM »

Of the last five times a Bush was on a primary ballot, they only lost once and that was the first time.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 07:55:37 AM »

In general, I think people tend to overestimate the importance of ordinary voters and underestimate the importance of party elites (broadly speaking, so including not just elected officials, but also folks like Rush Limbaugh and Roger Ailes, as well as big $ donors) in determining the nomination.

Many party elites do prefer the more "mainstream" candidates to the bomb throwers like Ted Cruz, but I do think there's such thing as going too far in the other direction, by embracing a critique of the party's economic reason for being.  That was a problem for McCain in 2000, and as noted in this thread:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=214820.0

it seems like it might be a problem for Kasich as well.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 08:20:09 AM »

In general, I think people tend to overestimate the importance of ordinary voters and underestimate the importance of party elites (broadly speaking, so including not just elected officials, but also folks like Rush Limbaugh and Roger Ailes, as well as big $ donors) in determining the nomination.

Many party elites do prefer the more "mainstream" candidates to the bomb throwers like Ted Cruz, but I do think there's such thing as going too far in the other direction, by embracing a critique of the party's economic reason for being.  That was a problem for McCain in 2000, and as noted in this thread:

I agree with this, but I also agree that PRIMARY voters are (A) more partisan and (B) more politically aware.  The "electability" argument is very much in their minds when they vote, moreso than casual voters. 

Kasich, in many ways, is the GOP's Dream Candidate, but no one sees this.  He expands the map without contracting it in other places, and people really have no basis to question his conservative bona fides.  He's not exciting, but Ted Cruz IS exciting, so let's put this in perspective.  And he's not a Bush, which is HUGE.  Yes, the Bushes have dominated GOP primaries, and there are reasons for this, but this will be the first time a Bush will be on the ballot after the negative legacy of Bush 43.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 09:58:45 AM »

If he stops slouching maybe he'll have a chance.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 10:37:42 AM »

At least among the elites, I don't see Kasich as being viewed as "embracing a critique of the party's economic reason for being."  What about him causes you to say that Eraserhead?"
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 10:38:03 AM »

If he stops slouching maybe he'll have a chance.

I want to get him a chiropractor so much.
andrew_c
Canada

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 02:22:52 PM »

No, unless Bush, Walker, and Rubio implode early on.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 02:37:57 PM »

I think he'll get a bounce once he comes to national attention. Whether that bounce or not puts him in the top tier remains to be seen
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 02:45:14 PM »

No.  The fact that he is largely an unknown commodity means that in the event of a Bush implosion the party establishment would have a much easier time coalescing around Walker, Rubio or even Christie than around Kasich. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 07:38:32 PM »

At least among the elites, I don't see Kasich as being viewed as "embracing a critique of the party's economic reason for being."  What about him causes you to say that Eraserhead?"

OK, "economic reason for being" might be putting it too starkly, but the gist of what I mean is discussed in that Chait column that I link to in the other thread:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/06/republicans-unhappy-kasich-called-them-monsters.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is the kind of thing that Kasich has been doing ever since his poll numbers tanked in Ohio, and he had to rally his favorability #s in order to get reelected (not that I'm being cynical about it Tongue ): challenging GOP orthodoxy on social spending head on.  And not just doing it on fiscal responsibility grounds or anything, but doing it in moral terms.  It's the mirror image of John McCain challenging GOP orthodoxy on taxes in the 2000 campaign cycle, which Chait also noted back then was a big challenge to the party line:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/politics/man-not-republican
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 07:48:15 PM »

OK, "economic reason for being" might be putting it too starkly, but the gist of what I mean is discussed in that Chait column that I link to in the other thread:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/06/republicans-unhappy-kasich-called-them-monsters.html

This is the kind of thing that Kasich has been doing ever since his poll numbers tanked in Ohio, and he had to rally his favorability #s in order to get reelected (not that I'm being cynical about it Tongue ): challenging GOP orthodoxy on social spending head on.  And not just doing it on fiscal responsibility grounds or anything, but doing it in moral terms.  It's the mirror image of John McCain challenging GOP orthodoxy on taxes in the 2000 campaign cycle, which Chait also noted back then was a big challenge to the party line:

What Kasich has been saying here is pretty similar to W.'s criticism of the Republican Congress in 99/2000, though the party may have less appetite for the message now.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 04:47:17 PM »

I don't think realizing that subsidized medical insurance is the most intelligent way to provide health care to those who cannot otherwise afford it, as opposed to the prior haphazard system, is a departure from Pub fiscal orthodoxy. Pub fiscal orthodoxy is providing transfer payments in the most efficient means possible, with the least economic distortion as possible, and retaining the economic incentives for choice and efficiency as possible. If you don't believe, just ask Milton Friedman. He's dead, but he can still be reached by various means. Not running imprudent deficits is also Pub orthodoxy. I assume that Ohio is in good fiscal health.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 04:49:48 PM »

I don't think realizing that subsidized medical insurance is the most intelligent way to provide health care to those who cannot otherwise afford it, as opposed to the prior haphazard system, is a departure from Pub fiscal orthodoxy. Pub fiscal orthodoxy is providing transfer payments in the most efficient means possible, with the least economic distortion as possible, and retaining the economic incentives for choice and efficiency as possible. If you don't believe, just ask Milton Friedman. He's dead, but he can still be reached by various means. Not running imprudent deficits is also Pub orthodoxy. I assume that Ohio is in good fiscal health.

I didn't know you were a spiritualist.  Tongue
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2015, 06:12:13 PM »

I think so.

He has a credible resume, a strong electoral record and some background in broadcasting. He definitely has a lot of upside.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2015, 06:58:10 PM »

Yes.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2015, 10:31:33 PM »

No.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 12:23:06 AM »

I think so.

He has a credible resume, a strong electoral record and some background in broadcasting. He definitely has a lot of upside.

From me(the last Rockefeller Republican) to a Buchanan Republican, I've noticed he's the least divisive.

If he makes it into the debates, he'll make a strong showing.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2015, 12:57:43 AM »

I think so.

From me(the last Rockefeller Republican) to a Buchanan Republican, I've noticed he's the least divisive.

That's a big "if", if you will.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 01:17:51 AM »

I think so.

That's a big "if", if you will.

Announcement spike has averaged 7.875%. A quarter of that sends him to the debates.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 06:03:17 PM »

Christie and Kasich have a better chance than people say they do.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies