Is it time to end Atlasia?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:36:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Is it time to end Atlasia?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Poll
Question: Vote!
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Is it time to end Atlasia?  (Read 4833 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2015, 09:55:48 PM »

It's beyond embarrassing how inactive the "government" has become and how uncontested most elections are. As TNF pointed out, there are 2 candidates for 4 positions in the Midwest, and the only people who have voted are the 2 candidates themselves.

dead0man isn't one of the candidates. I wish he would run, but still this "only voters are the two candidates, seems false on its head".

It wasn't when the post was made, you dolt.

Your original post in the "This Game Sucks donkey Dick thread" was at 6:00 PM. Dead0man voted 17 hours prior to that post. I don't stalk your fing posting so if you made another, then fine. But then it begs the question why are you repeating a statement that is no longer accurate to use a fvie day long election occuring over a Fourth of July Weekend to make a statement about the damn game being dead.

And stop with the GOD DAMN NAME CALLING!!!! Angry Angry

I had people retire from the SEnate because of you and your mouth.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2015, 10:00:09 PM »

If people quit the Senate because of 'me and my mouth,' they have much deeper issues than holding office in a pretend politics game.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2015, 10:02:35 PM »

It is so damn amazing how a bunch of burned out hasbeens have decided their bored, so they are going to destroy it for it everyone else and anyone in the future who might come and revive it. This game is not yours to destroy by some damn simple majority vote. If you trully think this game is so damn bad, if all you can think about is destroying it, then perhaps you should consider leaving and let newer more positive thinking people have their shot. Instead of coming back every fear years, treating people like crap, blowing sh**t up and then whining that the game is dead.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2015, 10:03:57 PM »

If people quit the Senate because of 'me and my mouth,' they have much deeper issues than holding office in a pretend politics game.

You miss the point, this is a game built on voluntary participation. Who the hell is going to participate to deal with you calling them a fascist or Al calling them an idiot, when they can just deregister at any time. And you wonder why this game struggles to get and keep good people. If we had back the people you guys have driven off, we would be in much better shape.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2015, 10:07:03 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you North Carolina Yankee. Exhibit A for why this game is dead.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2015, 10:18:55 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you North Carolina Yankee. Exhibit A for why this game is dead.

I have tried to encourage and motivate people to participate for years. How many people have you? How many people have expressed with disgust they way you interact with people. You were active and great at formulating policy, no one can doubt that. But no one realistic can deny the negative impact your tone has had either.

Take a look in the mirror TNF and accept the painful reality that you actions have had consequences. I know what I did to hurt this game, I freely admit to it and accept that it happened because of my actions.

When it comes to getting and keeping good people though, I know I wasn't making this place so nasty. I fostered a collaborative environment, tried to make it about policy differences. What do I get for my labors, stabbed in the back and lies spread about me when I was going through some of the worst personal difficulties. Anyone else would have said to hell with it, I didn't because I believe this game can be better than that, I believe that good people want to play this game with respect and build this game up as opposed to tearing it down. WE can have our differences, but at some point you have to draw a line, something you have no capability of understanding.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2015, 10:37:19 PM »

In no shock whatsoever, I strongly agree with Yankee over TNF.

Blaming the game's problems on the only person calling for civility and positivity in this thread?  THAT is Exhibit A for why the game is in it's current state!

Some people want to try to make the game better. This includes me (who just joined last month and doesn't want to see his tenure as a citizen go to waste). We need more ideas for how to add and keep active members (civility is probably #1), and less doomsday talk. I'll try to help the conversation with other active members to make the game better, and I hope you, and everyone else, will join us--instead of trying to end Atlasia with some stupid poll.

Again: we need ideas to make it better! More civility would help. An updated wiki might help. Combining the legislatures of the Pacific and Midwest might help (but only with their consent and don't force anyone else to merge unless they consent as well). Targeted recruitment of active members (don't ask me how this would work) might help as well.

A large minority if not a silent majority want Atlasia to survive. Let's help it survive instead of trying to kill it, okay?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2015, 11:01:59 PM »

On another note, I'm just trying to figure out who Leinad was in his last Atlasian life
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2015, 11:03:32 PM »

On another note, I'm just trying to figure out who Leinad was in his last Atlasian life

Yes, it's hilariously obvious he is a sock. To the point that he has basically openly admitted it.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2015, 11:19:18 PM »

I'm not a sock at all, and your accusations are 1) the same BS that Yankee is talking about, 2) shameful, and 3) so pathetic it's actually pretty funny.

To the point that he has basically openly admitted it.

When was this? How can I admit to something that isn't true?

Seriously, tell me what you're speaking of, and I'll refute it.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2015, 02:28:45 AM »

Well the game isn't dead, we just had a month or so with bad activity where the Senate was running low on numbers-we've had a pretty close election this weekend for the At-Large Seat.

My biggest gripe, ironically is that it seems to be all about party voting. Like someone could create a thread literally saying 'I want to run for election, vote for me' and the entire party would vote for them, against a much better candidate. I know that's just how it works.

On the side note-WE NEED AN ACTIVE GM!!!! Much like Kal. We need someone to actually give us something to react to-government is 98% responding to events. How do we know what policy to enact if we don't know the unemployment race?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2015, 02:39:24 AM »

Legislative Restart and make Atlasia it into a Confederacy of 2-3 autonomous regions.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2015, 03:39:21 AM »

I would say something, but I feel like at this moment perhaps Gilmour and Waters say it best:

This game is just full of dogs.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2015, 03:56:58 AM »

People become inactive or stop participating altogether when a group of players successfully establish an atmosphere of extreme negativity in a game that is supposed to be fun. It's as simple as that.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2015, 04:13:23 AM »
« Edited: July 04, 2015, 10:41:26 AM by Senator Cris »

It's not time to end Atlasia, but it's time for a complete reset.
A complete reset. Let's change the Constitution and let's change our region system.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2015, 06:31:17 AM »

Well the game isn't dead, we just had a month or so with bad activity where the Senate was running low on numbers-we've had a pretty close election this weekend for the At-Large Seat.

My biggest gripe, ironically is that it seems to be all about party voting. Like someone could create a thread literally saying 'I want to run for election, vote for me' and the entire party would vote for them, against a much better candidate. I know that's just how it works.

On the side note-WE NEED AN ACTIVE GM!!!! Much like Kal. We need someone to actually give us something to react to-government is 98% responding to events. How do we know what policy to enact if we don't know the unemployment race?

I totally agree, with some reservations on the party voting thing. I agree that it's probably not best for it to be that way, but it's not like they're forced at gunpoint; it's voluntary. I mean, most Laborites would vote for a Laborite who says "hey, I want to run, vote for me!" and nothing else over an established Federalist (the same is not any less true vice-versa).

What we need is more candidates. So, maybe there's 3 Laborites running for the legislature in a Labor-friendly region, and then 1 or 2 Labor-esque independents, so the elections become competitive without abolishing parties or anything like that.

But, again, you're right on needing an active GM and that the game isn't as dead as the Doomsdayers are saying.

You (and everyone else who wants a better Atlasia) should sign up to join Truman's Washington Society. It would be nice to have a TPPer, Federalist, and Laborite be the first 3 members. If that's not multi-partisan, I don't know what is.

People become inactive or stop participating altogether when a group of players successfully establish an atmosphere of extreme negativity in a game that is supposed to be fun. It's as simple as that.

Exactly. We need to decrease the game's negativity to encourage activity.

Also: I propose that the Senate create some sort of penalty for reckless sock accusations. It happened to JoMCaR with shaky evidence, now it's happened to me with LITERALLY NO FREAKING EVIDENCE WHAT-SO-FREAKING-EVER! Ahem...anyway, I think sockpuppetry is a moderator problem, and best to be dealt with as such until there's real evidence. This "shoot first, ask questions later" mentality is the exact BS we need to cut out of this game.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2015, 07:13:50 AM »

We should start a nationstates region for members of Atlas.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2015, 07:33:13 AM »

I know I'm knew to Atlasia, but I've been reading this website for over a year now. I agree with having a new Game Moderator, the reason we need that Game Moderator controls the game with events. They also give us unemployment numbers like my friend, said earlier we can't make policy with out one. But, I agree with Leinad and Yankee, we can't just go along name calling. We have to learn how to work together and not tear down each other. Beacuse, TNF and Al every single time you call someone an idiot or a radical. You, make them want to leave. We, should also leave personal things behind in our new government if we were to build one. And if we should make a new government, I would be happy to help. But, guys remember this is just a game. Don't call each other a sock, or bully others.
I thank all of you for your time, effort and service to Atlasia, Much Thanks
Classic Conservative
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2015, 07:34:53 AM »

Also: I propose that the Senate create some sort of penalty for reckless sock accusations. It happened to JoMCaR with shaky evidence, now it's happened to me with LITERALLY NO FREAKING EVIDENCE WHAT-SO-FREAKING-EVER! Ahem...anyway, I think sockpuppetry is a moderator problem, and best to be dealt with as such until there's real evidence. This "shoot first, ask questions later" mentality is the exact BS we need to cut out of this game.

Dude calm down.

I myself hate the McCarthyist atmosphere on the forum that is BAN FIRST ASK QUESTIONS LATER (which is why I much prefer OTHER ATLAS now days), but I don't approve of putting the shoe on the other foot here.  What needs to happen is that the dictatorial mods need to be neutered of any real powers, which would go a long way in changing the fascist mentality of posters who are trigger happy with the sock accusations.  Otherwise, an idiot says something idiotic about you?  Well deal with it, the world is full of them.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2015, 07:48:29 AM »
« Edited: July 04, 2015, 07:51:29 AM by Mechaman »

But I do got to agree with the observations from some of our more right leaning members here.  The attitude of many of the game's left wingers is hardly constructive.  This was largely a part of the reason why I left Labor last year and ran as a far left wing Democratic-Republican when I ran in the Mideast.  I am not laying the blame entirely on the behavior of Atlasian office holders, but the tactics of some have been very petty and just extremely negative.  I mean I can't believe how negative some of you get in this game.  I understand that you need to make political ads, you do need to attack people on political grounds (IT IS A POLITICAL GAME AFTER ALL), but often times this is taken way too far.

And yes, I have in the past engaged in some of this nasty rhetoric.  If the Great Leader has a log of everything I have ever said in the IRC Chatroom since 2012 he is more than welcome to unload it all here.  If I called somebody a nasty little c**ntbaster I will own up to it.  I don't admit to liking anyone or being a consistent "nice guy".  I am not saying all of this as a take that I am holier than thou point, but that you guys aren't just being mean, you're being exceptionally so.  More so than is even warranted on an electoral simulation.

From what I have seen in the past four years the atmosphere has gotten so negative that you guys might as well start your campaigns with "my opponent(s) is a fuckin idiot who sucks so and so's dick!"  I know that this poli sim is supposed to mimic real life, but seeing how the US Congress operates I am not so sure that is a good thing.

People wonder why I have and never will take this game seriously?  That is a big reason why.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2015, 08:02:09 AM »
« Edited: July 04, 2015, 08:05:06 AM by Mechaman »

With that stated, we can't lay the blame entirely on the locker room mentality of the game's Left and the Right certainly needs to step up and own the blame on lacking creativity or imagination or enthusiasm.  There comes a time when even the meanest "screw you pinhead" accusation does not excuse the fact that your team just can't come up with real ideas or motivate people to turn out.  Let's face it the Right has sucked in this game since at least 2009.  You guys are just dominated by your own inner political struggles (going back to DWTL and Yankee in 2009 to the recent crap between whoever and whoever) and personality conflicts that actually harm yourselves in the long run.  Many times you have to rely on a centrist dominated fusion ticket come election time to compete with the Left in this game.  This was true when the atmosphere was way more positive and it is true now with everyone wanting to say fuckall.  I don't recall the last time we had a real memorable and even two term right wing president (except for Duke, whose actual presidency was very hardly right wing).

For god's sake, a leading figure on the Right voted for DemPGH last year because said poster had a hardon against Dallasfan for some reason.  Now yeah, I admit I voted for SirNick largely because he wanted to make me Game Moderator (I don't think anyone will complain too much that I revealed the plans of someone who has been revealed to be a terrorist.  Frankly, making me Game Moderator makes a lot more sense in hindsight if you are a terrorist who wants to wreck havoc on the game), but that is hardly as petty as a reason as "I don't like him Mom!" reasons.  If you want to advance your cause you shouldn't be willy nilly willing to stab each other in the back come election time or the other not so savory stunts you pull (like asking posters to invalidate their ballots, yeah that old favor of power hungry Right Wingers in the game).

So yeah not to be a moderate hero here, but you all need to take a good long look in the mirror and ask yourselves what are you screwing up that is turning off people, both left and right, from this game.-Mecha
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2015, 08:08:18 AM »

Dude calm down.

I myself hate the McCarthyist atmosphere on the forum that is BAN FIRST ASK QUESTIONS LATER (which is why I much prefer OTHER ATLAS now days), but I don't approve of putting the shoe on the other foot here.  What needs to happen is that the dictatorial mods need to be neutered of any real powers, which would go a long way in changing the fascist mentality of posters who are trigger happy with the sock accusations.  Otherwise, an idiot says something idiotic about you?  Well deal with it, the world is full of them.

No, I'm calm. Just a little upset, that's all. That'll happen when you're completely above board and someone says you're obviously a sock seemingly just because they don't like you. It's stupid.

I agree that it's putting the shoe on the other foot, yes. But I'm not saying it should be a ban for doing it, or that there are no checks and balances. In fact, if I was in the Senate and a bill like this came through, I'd probably spend some time campaigning for adding checks and balances as opposed to immediately supporting it.

But I think it's better to err on the side of civility. I mean, if I wrote an article for a newspaper saying that, I don't know, Jeb Bush stole money from UNICEF, I'd be sued for libel. (Are there libel laws on the books here already?)

This crap is silly. I'm going to stick around, and try to help make it less silly, but man, I can see why activity is low.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2015, 08:26:07 AM »

Dude calm down.

No, I'm calm. Just a little upset, that's all. That'll happen when you're completely above board and someone says you're obviously a sock seemingly just because they don't like you. It's stupid.

I agree that it's putting the shoe on the other foot, yes. But I'm not saying it should be a ban for doing it, or that there are no checks and balances. In fact, if I was in the Senate and a bill like this came through, I'd probably spend some time campaigning for adding checks and balances as opposed to immediately supporting it.

But I think it's better to err on the side of civility. I mean, if I wrote an article for a newspaper saying that, I don't know, Jeb Bush stole money from UNICEF, I'd be sued for libel. (Are there libel laws on the books here already?)

This crap is silly. I'm going to stick around, and try to help make it less silly, but man, I can see why activity is low.

Bro, it's just a game. You can't sue someone for Libel on Atlasia

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, he had three new players all from the same city who all voted the same way in an election. The mods shouldn't have banned him that quickly, but it was hardly shaky evidence now was it.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2015, 09:40:37 AM »

It's very clearly time to alter the game, change its structure, etc., to what I don't know because everyone will have a different opinion and a different vision. Minimally, we need to try - try - a three region set-up. So much time was put into that, I believe a map was approved, and what we're going to have to do is put away the obstructionism.

When I was governor of the then-dead and still-dead Pacific, we had a number of people come in and say, "Nah, this is boring," and they disappeared. Blaming people like Griffin and TNF is really, really outlandish. They've tried to recruit active people, not zombies, but like I said, there are too many offices for the amount of interested people. Which is a shame because the game needn't take up all of a person's time.

Lastly, Jomcar, since that has come up, got banned for making socks last year, and this year got in hot water for recruiting people literally off the street to just come here and vote how he wants them to vote. That's like a horse race where one horse gets to start four or five lengths in front of the other horses. That's different from asking engaged people on the forum to get involved or to vote, who may or may not show up, or may once in a while "break rank."
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2015, 09:51:26 AM »

I'm certainly not saying that we should 'End Atlasia Now' and not replace it with anything. We need an election sim, but this one is basically past it's expiration date. I'm personally partial to creating a parliamentary sim with districts based on large areas of the United States, myself.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies