Is it time to end Atlasia? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:27:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Is it time to end Atlasia? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Vote!
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Is it time to end Atlasia?  (Read 5111 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: July 03, 2015, 06:20:13 PM »

In its current form? Absolutely. I have advocated as much for years: this is the meaning of reality or nothing.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 07:24:13 PM »

But mostly the people it alienates are idiots. Let's be clear here: the moronic yelping for 'REGIONAL RIGHTS' was the moment at which the game embarked upon the path that led to its decrepitude.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 07:27:22 PM »

Anyway, the game was started as an elections sim, not a government one. When it was at its best the elections were at the heart of it: and they were fun. Long ago and far away. Look what thou hath wrought, Atlasians.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 07:35:18 PM »

But let's be clear here. Crystal clear. People like Griffin (and there have been plenty like him over the years) have no interest in making the game better, because they are the problem. Tin pot fantasy dictators marshalling grand armies of drones across a battered and broken landscape: that is the reality of the game at present.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 12:51:07 PM »

No, that was when this game was saved from the small exclusive vision you have for this game.

Ah yes, the same exclusive vision that suggests that a game should be fun. How terrible of me.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 12:51:50 PM »

Says the guy who's been playing for a decade, masquerading his own fantasy for destruction as a solution for everything

In order for the phoenix to rise there must first be fire.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 07:46:00 PM »

Because lava makes for fertile soil.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 11:50:21 AM »

The game is boring because it now sucks structurally. It has been bureaucratised and legislated out of meaning. There is also a big big flaw in the game that has been present from the early days and that we have never fixed, and that is that it is very easy to 'win' by signing up legions of inactive voters, something that has a debilitating effect on the strategic side of the game.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 11:52:16 AM »

I'm not around in Atlasia as long as you are, so you obviously know what you're talking about, but let me ask this: would that be possible to have a continuing election game without at least some government simulation at the same time? I don't see how. Such a simulation, among other things, allows us to produce our unique issues. Otherwise how diffrent would Atlasia be from any election simulation game?

There's nothing wrong with a government aspect - elections are far more dramatic when they have consequences and drama is good in a game - the problem is when a) the government aspect dominates over everything else and when b) the government aspect is actually extremely boring.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 08:49:05 PM »

Old players who trash, mock and ridicual new players, well that is a different matter.

Ridicule.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 09:04:03 PM »

Here's a question for you now. How many posters do you think remember the Reich Protection Party? And how many of those do you think care about it?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 01:38:07 PM »

Yes, we get that the Reich Protection Party and its 'legacy' is very very important to you. Message across! But will you now answer my question? Other than yourself, who do you think cares?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 07:30:08 PM »

New to this are you? Ah, yes. I see that you are (or say that you are anyway. I'm not convinced). Let's just say that the Reich Protection Party is brought up by a certain poster on a pretty frequent basis even though literally no one else cares about it now.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 01:34:15 PM »

I do have a bone to pick after glancing through this thread, though: Al, I love you, but come on now. Kalwejt made the point and it deserves to be repeated, the people clamoring about how "Atlasia was more fun when it was an election sim and not a government sim!" are just remembering a hot moment in time from a decade+ ago when this place was a cute little novelty with way less people. Atlasia became a "government sim" very very quickly, and worked more often than it didn't.

Oh I accept that the government aspect is an important one. Absolutely. But the current government setup - which I believe to be fundamentally unreformable - is a toxic mess.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies