Republicans Are Too Angry About Gay Marriage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:39:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans Are Too Angry About Gay Marriage
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Republicans Are Too Angry About Gay Marriage  (Read 13590 times)
hopper
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2015, 08:46:43 PM »

I just wanted to say SSM is allowed in Alabama and Mississippi? I mean they don't want it. Even Bill Maher was like SSM in Alabama?  Maher said that statement even before the Supreme Court Decision.
hopper
United States

« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2015, 09:09:50 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2015, 09:12:01 PM by hopper »

Republicans actually need to keep being 'hateful' to save voters interest. People must have an alternative to liberal agenda. Because otherwise America will turn into a totalitarian country then where only one opinion prevails.

Same-sex marriage is the law of the land.

Republicans now offer the wrong sort of conservatism -- superstition, crony capitalism, and militarism. If anything, much of the conservative tradition (the part that respects rational thought, insists that the common man have a stake in the system, that probity in business dealings be the norm, that the government not choose winners and losers, that pushes thrift and self-development, and that abhors war as a budget-buster) has gone to the Democratic Party.

Democrats are winning parts of the electorate that demographically fit the Republican Party at least as late as the 1980s. Don't be fooled: if President Obama could get such large parts of the Asian and Hispanic vote, then he was picking up some voters with some conservative and traditionalist tendencies.    
Crony Capitalism: Well the top 1% have taken home more of this countries income growth under Obama than they did under Bush W.

Government chooses winners and losers-Remember the energy company "Solyndra" the company "The Obama Administration" gave money to? Well they went broke.

What parts of the electorate are the Dems winning that the GOP used to win as recently as the 1980's? "Postgraduate" is the only demographic I can think of along with "Asians". I just think Asians started voted Dem big time after Newt Gingrich/Republican Revolution of 1994 because the Republicans started to become too Southern for their electoral tastes.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2015, 06:40:06 PM »

I just wanted to say SSM interracial marriage is allowed in Alabama and Mississippi? I mean they don't want it.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2015, 09:26:00 PM »

Republicans actually need to keep being 'hateful' to save voters interest. People must have an alternative to liberal agenda. Because otherwise America will turn into a totalitarian country then where only one opinion prevails.

Republicans now offer the wrong sort of conservatism -- superstition, crony capitalism, and militarism. If anything, much of the conservative tradition (the part that respects rational thought, insists that the common man have a stake in the system, that probity in business dealings be the norm, that the government not choose winners and losers, that pushes thrift and self-development, and that abhors war as a budget-buster) has gone to the Democratic Party.

Democrats are winning parts of the electorate that demographically fit the Republican Party at least as late as the 1980s. Don't be fooled: if President Obama could get such large parts of the Asian and Hispanic vote, then he was picking up some voters with some conservative and traditionalist tendencies.    
Crony Capitalism: Well the top 1% have taken home more of this countries income growth under Obama than they did under Bush W.

Government chooses winners and losers-Remember the energy company "Solyndra" the company "The Obama Administration" gave money to? Well they went broke.

What parts of the electorate are the Dems winning that the GOP used to win as recently as the 1980's? "Postgraduate" is the only demographic I can think of along with "Asians". I just think Asians started voted Dem big time after Newt Gingrich/Republican Revolution of 1994 because the Republicans started to become too Southern for their electoral tastes.

Until recently, as Hispanics joined the middle class they started voting Republican. That is over.

Several "Asian" groups used to be won reliably on anti-Communist appeals. That is over. Even Korean-Americans have drifted D. North Korea is the butt of many political jokes among liberals. Communist insurgencies have faded into irrelevance in most "Asian" communities. 

"Southern right-wing" means white privilege in practice, support of fundamentalist Christianity, and anti-intellectualism. No Asian group has a vested interest in any of those.
hopper
United States

« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2015, 12:46:30 PM »

I just wanted to say SSM interracial marriage is allowed in Alabama and Mississippi? I mean they don't want it.
I heard in Mississippi from a post on this board they actually had a voter referendum by actual people in 2000 and 60% voted in favor of interracial marriage and 40% voted against it. 60/40 was actually the US average at that time in regards to interracial marriage just looking at Gallup Polls. I don't know about Alabama though.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2015, 12:50:53 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2015, 12:53:03 PM by Harry »

I heard in Mississippi from a post on this board they actually had a voter referendum by actual people in 2000 and 60% voted in favor of interracial marriage and 40% voted against it. 60/40 was actually the US average at that time in regards to interracial marriage just looking at Gallup Polls. I don't know about Alabama though.

It was Alabama, not Mississippi,
hopper
United States

« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2015, 01:01:02 PM »

Until recently, as Hispanics joined the middle class they started voting Republican. That is over.

Several "Asian" groups used to be won reliably on anti-Communist appeals. That is over. Even Korean-Americans have drifted D. North Korea is the butt of many political jokes among liberals. Communist insurgencies have faded into irrelevance in most "Asian" communities. 

"Southern right-wing" means white privilege in practice, support of fundamentalist Christianity, and anti-intellectualism. No Asian group has a vested interest in any of those.
Well Hispanics do still vote more Republican the more money they make. Just look at Romney's Hispanic Vote % go up the more money that Hispanics make.

True about Republicans getting Asian groups to vote for them on anti-Communist appeals pre-1994.

Asians don't need white-privilege the average Asian Household take home 10,000 more dollars a year than the average White Household. True Asians aren't interested in evangelicalism.
hopper
United States

« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2015, 01:02:09 PM »

It was Alabama, not Mississippi,
Oh I had the two states flipped. Thanks for correcting me.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2015, 03:04:17 PM »

Seems to me that Pub attitudes have split in recent years, in my view largely in a positive direction, about gay marriage.  The religious wing of the GOP does seem still quite upset about it.  But it's only because Pub attitudes in the aggregate have in large part shifted so dramatically that the issue has seen such a sea-change at all.  It was, after all, an individual-rights focused Kennedy that decided the SCOTUS vote in the recent case.  That all on its own says a lot.  So, as far as I'm concerned, YAY, social attitudes can still change!  It came at terrible, terrible cost and took far too long, but social attitudes can still change.  It's gratifying to see.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2015, 04:24:43 PM »

Well Hispanics do still vote more Republican the more money they make. Just look at Romney's Hispanic Vote % go up the more money that Hispanics make.

True about Republicans getting Asian groups to vote for them on anti-Communist appeals pre-1994.

Asians don't need white-privilege the average Asian Household take home 10,000 more dollars a year than the average White Household. True Asians aren't interested in evangelicalism.

'True Asians'?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2015, 04:55:13 PM »

'True Asians'?

A lot of Indians I know despise Bobby Jindal.  For some reason, being a fairly religious Christian and an Indian is considered incompatible by many.  I don't know about other Asians though, but I think that's what Hopper was talking about.
hopper
United States

« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2015, 12:00:08 AM »

'True Asians'?
I meant the poster that was writing that Asians weren't interested in evangelicalism was correct about that point.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2015, 12:09:04 AM »

I've had more encounters with Korean guys on the street handing me pamphlets sharing the good news about Jesus Christ than I have from any other ethnicity. Usually those pamphlets are in rather poor English and have bits still written in Hangul in them.

Just saying.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2015, 05:17:36 AM »

This is of course going off on a tangent from the original topic of the thread, but I'm reminded of this Andrew Sullivan blog post from years ago, mentioning the strong Asian-American participation in Evangelical groups at elite universities:

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2007/09/24/asians-evangeli/

This seems consistent with my totally anecdotal experience from when I lived in the US, but not sure what it's like now.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2015, 06:10:17 AM »

This is of course going off on a tangent from the original topic of the thread, but I'm reminded of this Andrew Sullivan blog post from years ago, mentioning the strong Asian-American participation in Evangelical groups at elite universities:

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2007/09/24/asians-evangeli/

This seems consistent with my totally anecdotal experience from when I lived in the US, but not sure what it's like now.

Next-to-last paragraph here:

http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~hrcf/?page_id=46

After the founding of HRAACF, a few Asian-Americans chose to remain with HRCF.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies