Republicans Are Too Angry About Gay Marriage (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:20:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans Are Too Angry About Gay Marriage (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republicans Are Too Angry About Gay Marriage  (Read 13703 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: July 10, 2015, 09:50:04 AM »
« edited: July 10, 2015, 09:53:16 AM by Gravis Marketing »

It's a good piece from Jack Hunter, but I'd say left-liberals are too angry over gay marriage too, given they are willing to drive people out of their homes over it.  

The bakers were fined $135,000 not for refusing to bake a cake for a same-sex couple, but because they shared the contact info of the two women and their children publicly, exposing them to threats of violence against them and their property. Take a few minutes and read the ruling.

I don't think this couple should get a free pass out of court costs and damages for violating the privacy of their customers because you approve of their reasons for originally refusing to serve them.  
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 07:25:36 PM »

All of the scenarios have clear ways to victory. If Dr. King were here, he'd be on my side. Your side can't say that.

Well, his widow Coretta Scott King, who knew his heart reasonably well, supported both anti-discrimination laws covering sexual orientation in Dr. King's name, and was an early endorser of same-sex marriage before her death in 2006. While the 1960s were prehistoric times for gay rights--even being gay was illegal in many states until 2003!--we have seen how other civil rights advocates from the era such as John Lewis have evolved.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 06:10:17 AM »

This is of course going off on a tangent from the original topic of the thread, but I'm reminded of this Andrew Sullivan blog post from years ago, mentioning the strong Asian-American participation in Evangelical groups at elite universities:

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2007/09/24/asians-evangeli/

This seems consistent with my totally anecdotal experience from when I lived in the US, but not sure what it's like now.

Next-to-last paragraph here:

http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~hrcf/?page_id=46

After the founding of HRAACF, a few Asian-Americans chose to remain with HRCF.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies