The Washington Society
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:43:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Washington Society
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: The Washington Society  (Read 2541 times)
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2015, 08:05:10 AM »

Again, I've yet to see one person say that they wouldn't play Atlasia if it became a parliament. I think it's a pretty stubborn view, and again the current version is hardly popular is it.

I think I've seen some people say they wouldn't play, but maybe I've just seen so many people raise the concern that others won't play. Which would be kind of funny, if it was the case where everyone would be fine with playing but they simply assume that others wouldn't.

I agree that it would be a debate best resolved in a non-biased poll. It is a fact that a reformed parliamentary system would be better than the status quo, but that's not the question: the question is whether a reformed parliamentary system would be better than a reformed US system. I saw a proposal from Senator Polnut (another active non-American, by the way) characterizing the debate as status quo vs. parliamentary vs. dissolution, which is clearly a false narrative (I mean, a Constitutional Convention literally fits nowhere in those options).
I don't think a poll would work beacuse there's really no such thing, as a non-biased poll beacuse people that have already de registered or don't play can vote beacuse it's an open poll, if that were to be an option, I think a referendum would be the better option.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2015, 10:34:45 AM »

Again, I've yet to see one person say that they wouldn't play Atlasia if it became a parliament. I think it's a pretty stubborn view, and again the current version is hardly popular is it.

I think I've seen some people say they wouldn't play, but maybe I've just seen so many people raise the concern that others won't play. Which would be kind of funny, if it was the case where everyone would be fine with playing but they simply assume that others wouldn't.

I agree that it would be a debate best resolved in a non-biased poll. It is a fact that a reformed parliamentary system would be better than the status quo, but that's not the question: the question is whether a reformed parliamentary system would be better than a reformed US system. I saw a proposal from Senator Polnut (another active non-American, by the way) characterizing the debate as status quo vs. parliamentary vs. dissolution, which is clearly a false narrative (I mean, a Constitutional Convention literally fits nowhere in those options).
I don't think a poll would work beacuse there's really no such thing, as a non-biased poll beacuse people that have already de registered or don't play can vote beacuse it's an open poll, if that were to be an option, I think a referendum would be the better option.
I'm thinking that overall opinion should be gauged before a referendum.

By unbiased poll, I meant the wording. So, something like this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

rather than something like this:

that creates a false choice by not including every option, or something like this:

that phrases the question in a way that skews the results.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2015, 10:55:32 AM »

There are a lot of interesting proposals and the delegates of a ConCon can work on this.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2015, 02:12:57 PM »

This is all bluster, we don't need a long winded poll that tells us that 33% favour it, 33% don't and 33% are unsure. The reformed US system in my view doesn't change anything-three regions would slightly improve this but you'd still have rather directionless regions, you'd still have a weak executive (highly ironic that a US system for all it's fame delivers a much weaker position than the indirectly elected Prime Minister)

It would in my view, because it actually changes the entire premise of a game. A big bold, singular reform -compared to tepid reform
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2015, 02:13:33 PM »

A parliamentary system would be the kind of radical change that might actually revitalise things.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2015, 02:26:06 PM »

A parliamentary system would be the kind of radical change that might actually revitalise things.

Agreed. Couldn't hurt.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2015, 02:34:11 PM »

None of this will be viable if the site as a whole continues in its present state.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2015, 02:52:53 PM »

My thoughts behind it would be that it would need 10-20 committed players, rather than the 50+ that Atlasia needs to get it to work (1 President, 1 VP, 3 Cabinet offices, 10 senators, 5 governors etc) A parliament system offers a more fluid government, a chance to actually change governments , coalitions and active involvement.

I appreciate it would be a big move, but it could be chance
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2015, 05:28:16 PM »

Agreed. Couldn't hurt.

Agreed.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies