Favorite Under-Apprecated/Hated on Film?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:18:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Favorite Under-Apprecated/Hated on Film?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Favorite Under-Apprecated/Hated on Film?  (Read 2955 times)
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 04, 2015, 12:00:10 AM »

Everyone has different tastes and likes. A common hit in theaters has it's haters while an unappreciated film grows a cult following. This is a thread about the latter.

What are some films that you love that either other's hate or wasn't a smash in first release?

This is prob my first choice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9lceeNQMwk

IMO Hanks's most under-appreciated film. This was in his transition period from Big to his dramatic roles. The year before he had The Burbs which itself was awesome and dark, but this movie was a complete departure. It's a fairy tale mixed with action, comedy, drama, and subtle commentary. It blew people's minds in 1990 due to how odd it is but that's the beautiful part. It wasn't meant to be easy it's meant to be tough. After enough times you will get it possibly and love it or hate it. Personally I love it.

It's great escapist fun with some ridiculous stuff in it (Abe Virgoda/Nathan Lane as island tribesman. Ha yeah right.)  and some poignant moments. Should have been a bigger hit.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 12:03:47 AM »

To quote from another thread:

The American Astronaut is a timeless classic that will be remembered for centuries.

Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 12:13:56 AM »

Batman & Robin
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 01:33:54 AM »

Willow.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 09:16:25 AM »

There are several, but The Godfather Part III comes to mind. Not the equal of the first one or the sprawling second one, but a very excellent drama, IMO. And it was one of those movies nominated for a pile of awards, but didn't win any. What an ending, wow.

There's a now forgotten 1992 drama (but was then a big movie) with Michael Douglas called Falling Down in which he goes berserk over changing times and a cop played by Robert Duvall spends the entire movie trying to track him down and is always just right behind him as he traverses Los Angeles. Duvall finally catches up to him at the end. Some critics misread the movie, I think.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 09:33:01 AM »

Star wars I-III
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 11:17:09 AM »

Batman and Robin was actually the first movie I ever seen in theaters, I was 4. It's bad but it's a good bad. It has it moments and is very entertaining and enjoyable. Arnld was awesome, Uma Thurman was annoying (she shouldn't have been cast as Ivy imo,) Clooney wasn't right in a lot of ways to be Batman but he sure rocked the visual look.

Haven't seen Willow, or G P3 besides clips. It doesn't look to bad. I think it just had crappy timig because it came out the same year as Goodfellas and people were spoiled by that movie. If it came out in the 80's they prob would have liked it better.

Falling Down's awesome Schumacher's best film.

Star Wars Episode 1 I think gets hated on too much, I think a lot of it's due to the nerds who were disapoited. In hindsight it wasn't bad at all, quite fun especially the end and climax. Episode 2 is when it went downhill. Script was awful as was Christanssen.  Visual effects were awesome though. Episode 3's great though it was the best way to end the prequels.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 10:07:53 PM »

Star Wars Episode 1 I think gets hated on too much, I think a lot of it's due to the nerds who were disapoited.

A long time ago in a minstrel show far far away...
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 11:20:44 PM »

Star Wars Episode 1 I think gets hated on too much, I think a lot of it's due to the nerds who were disapoited.

Well besides he we don't speak of if you know what's good for you...  the movie was fine.

Love Liam's Jedi and Darth Maul's my favorite sith.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 01:17:39 AM »

Well besides he we don't speak of if you know what's good for you...  the movie was fine.

No, even without...it..., the movie's just blandly average. The good cancels out the bad and vice-versa.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 01:37:50 AM »

No, even without...it..., the movie's just blandly average. The good cancels out the bad and vice-versa.

Ehh could do without the pod-race crap. I liked the space stuff and the ending battle, enough to save it.

Agree to disagree I guess.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 03:25:12 AM »

Clue has been a favorite of mine for over a decade, though it was not well received at release.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 07:26:23 AM »

^Agreed. I love that movie.

Mine would have to be The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 03:49:42 PM »

Clue was awesome! The whole cast had a lot of fun with that, it was obvious, but I didn't know it was received poorly. :/
JohnRM
Rookie
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 07:07:41 PM »

Tie between The Good Shepherd and Thirteen Days. Unfortunately, both are rather inaccurate, historically.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 09:51:24 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUAdxRGnNYU

This anther cult jem I love.

Prove one of if nott my favorite horror film. Most people hated it during it's original release due to it's lack of it's villain but in hindsight it was an awesome film. Great look into american greed and capitalism. Especially in how Halloween is looked at more as a corporate event instead of a seasonal holiday. The lead villain in this one wants to get back to the holiday's roots, even if he is a complete monster in his ways of doing it he sure can deliver a monologue. Plus a drunk as the hero? Sign me up.

Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 10:02:55 PM »

Witchfinder General has gotten some good reviews so it might not count, though the imdb rating is pretty low (6.9) and it is kind of obscure. It's an excellent period piece with middle-aged Vincent Price  a surpsingly effective villain as a corrupt inquisitor.

I also really enjoyed the musical adaptation of Reefer Madness with Kirsten Bell.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2015, 04:20:33 PM »

Also I quite enjoy the animated adaptations to The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, in the case of latter, it's still better than the new trilogy.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2015, 05:58:00 PM »

Clue has been a favorite of mine for over a decade, though it was not well received at release.

That was one of my favorite movies as a kid. I even got the board game to play with the family, we played that way more than Monopoly. When I saw Murder by Death years later, I thought "What a ripoff of Clue", even though it came out a decade earlier.

Gangs of New York was a fantastic film, much better than Chicago or Lincoln, clearly the best Daniel Day Lewis film since My Left Foot & My Beautiful Laundrette. I never understood why it wasn't as well liked as The Departed, although I agree that Aviator was a little odd, but it was still good.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2015, 06:52:57 PM »

One, Two, Three is a highly underrated Cold War comedy.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 08:07:46 PM »

Salo: or the 120 days of Sodom.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 09:02:34 PM »

The Alfred Hitchcock film of Jamaica Inn apparently isn't highly thought of.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 09:22:57 PM »

Creep.

Anyways, Renaldo and Clara gets my vote. It is no longer on YouTube, sadly.

Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2015, 11:15:09 PM »

Flash Gordon. I know it has a cult following and Ted gave it some love, but its a great movie to laugh at how corny it is while still being entertaining
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 04:24:22 PM »

For under appreciated- I nominate the following;

(Unless you actually enjoy the campy Roger Moore Bond films, this was the best of the post-Connery pre-Dalton/Brosnan era).

(I believe  Bill or Hillary Clinton was an uncredited member of the writing staff-that's the best answer I can give as to how Lewinsky and the bombing of the Sudan broke a month later.)

(Inspired a Poker Boom, and features strong performences from Matt Damon, John Malkovich and Edward Norton)

(I'm trying to figure out how this only earned 72% on Rottentomatoes... It's pretty good).

For Hated/Overrated- I nominate;

(Will Smith, is good, but giant Mechanical Spiders do not belong in the Old West damnit!)

(Yes, it's a Disney Movie, but it really should have rated PG-13, just on Frollo's character alone)

(Pierce Brosnan ruins the movie for me with his singing... I think we found the one thing 007 can't do)

(It's a bad sign when the best moment in a movie is a joke about Sarah Palin)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies