Primary calendar / poll closing times and delegate allocation megathread (Christmas is saved!)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:47:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Primary calendar / poll closing times and delegate allocation megathread (Christmas is saved!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Author Topic: Primary calendar / poll closing times and delegate allocation megathread (Christmas is saved!)  (Read 34658 times)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: February 22, 2016, 08:53:57 PM »

Here’s the memo that’s being circulated about the AP’s reporting of results for the caucus:

link

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Looks pretty efficient. Considering the nature of a Republican caucus, we should probably have a good idea of the final results by no later than 12:30 EST.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #151 on: February 23, 2016, 07:36:30 PM »

Resolving one of the final confusions about the calendar:

The Virgin Islands GOP has confirmed that they are holding their caucus on March 10.  This was not their preferred date, but their failure to submit a Delegate Selection Plan on time meant they had to go with the same date as in 2012, even though that means they have to hold their caucus on a Thursday.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2016, 02:50:09 PM »

Here’s the memo that’s being circulated about the AP’s reporting of results for the caucus:

link

Looks pretty efficient. Considering the nature of a Republican caucus, we should probably have a good idea of the final results by no later than 12:30 EST.

Well, that was embarrassing.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #153 on: February 27, 2016, 04:39:19 AM »

Here's where I'm at with poll closing times for Super Tuesday.  Please tell me if I have any of these wrong (all times translated to Eastern time):

primaries:

7pm: GA, VT, VA
8pm: AL, MA, OK, TN
8:30pm: AR
8pm/9pm (depending on time zone): TX

caucuses:

7pm-midnight: AK
start at 8pm: MN
start at 9pm: CO

American Samoa Huh
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #154 on: February 27, 2016, 07:03:12 AM »

Here's where I'm at with poll closing times for Super Tuesday.  Please tell me if I have any of these wrong (all times translated to Eastern time):

primaries:

caucuses:

American Samoa Huh

Texas should be moved to 7:00 PM EST. All but a few precincts close by then, and we should have a really good idea of what the final result there is with the information from the 7:00 PM portion of the state.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #155 on: February 27, 2016, 07:09:45 AM »

primaries:

caucuses:

American Samoa Huh

Texas should be moved to 7:00 PM EST. All but a few precincts close by then, and we should have a really good idea of what the final result there is with the information from the 7:00 PM portion of the state.

Here's the FAQ on the official site:

http://www.votetexas.gov/voting/

It says that the polls are open until 7pm.  But most of the state is in Central time, which means 8pm Eastern.  The El Paso region is in Mountain time, so those polls close at 7pm Mountain / 9pm Eastern.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2016, 07:16:08 AM »

primaries:

caucuses:

American Samoa Huh

It says that the polls are open until 7pm.  But most of the state is in Central time, which means 8pm Eastern.  The El Paso region is in Mountain time, so those polls close at 7pm Mountain / 9pm Eastern.

Interesting. The Texas SoS website says the same thing.

So I guess Green Papers is wrong?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #157 on: February 27, 2016, 07:17:04 AM »

primaries:

caucuses:

American Samoa Huh

Interesting. The Texas SoS website says the same thing.

So I guess Green Papers is wrong?

I guess so.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #158 on: February 27, 2016, 07:46:51 AM »

Here's a list with hyperlinks to news/government websites with more information on poll closing times:

Primaries

7:00 PM - GA, VT, VA

8:00 PM - AL, MA, OK, TN, TX (mostly)

8:30 PM - AR

Caucuses

8:00 PM (beginning) - MN

7:00 PM to 12:00 AM - AK

Politico also has everything nicely summed up here.

That should be a comprehensive list. Please tell me if I got anything wrong.
Swedge
Rookie
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #159 on: February 27, 2016, 12:08:12 PM »

Cheers for the informative calendar man
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #160 on: February 27, 2016, 04:24:03 PM »

Interesting that many states close before MN's caucuses start; wonder if that will have an effect here.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #161 on: February 27, 2016, 04:41:08 PM »

Dar, you are missing the Colorado Democratic Caucus.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #162 on: February 29, 2016, 01:48:00 AM »

Here are the poll closing times I've found for the March 5th contests:

Kansas Dems: 1-3pm CST = 2-4pm ET: http://www.ksdp.org/caucus-2016/
Kansas GOP: 10am-2pm CST = 11am-3pm ET: http://www.ksgop.org/#!caucus-locations/vopsn

Kentucky: 10am-4pm local time (since the state is split between ET and CT, the last polls would close at 5pm ET): http://rpk.org/caucus/

Louisiana: Poll close at 8pm CT / 9pm ET.

Maine: Begins at 8pm ET: http://mainegop.com/caucusbasics/

Nebraska: http://nebraskacaucus2016.org/Caucus_Handbook-F.pdf

That’s 11am to 9pm ET.  It looks like each county is setting its own time within that range.  See the list here:

http://nebraskacaucus2016.org/where-to-caucus/

Not sure if we’ll get results throughout the day as each county finishies or not.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #163 on: February 29, 2016, 07:04:45 AM »

Dar, you are missing the Colorado Democratic Caucus.

Oops, I was too busy thinking about how not to include the Republican one Tongue

I'll fix it in the next post.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #164 on: February 29, 2016, 07:06:56 AM »

Revised list with hyperlinks to news/government websites with more information on poll closing times:

Primaries

8:00 PM - AL, MA, OK, TN, TX (mostly)

Caucuses

9:00 PM (beginning) - CO

Is everything right this time?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #165 on: February 29, 2016, 04:42:48 PM »

The American Samoa caucuses open at 8AM local time (2PM Eastern) and close at 1PM local time (7PM Eastern).   I believe American Samoa is 6 hours behind the East Coast this time of year - and always 1 hour behind Hawaii.

More on the caucus, the candidates (Rocky de la Fuente is on the ballot), the candidate call-ins and the local endorsements in today's Samoa News here:

http://samoanews.com/content/en/local-dems-get-ready-%E2%80%9Csuper-tuesday%E2%80%9D-caucus-vote
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #166 on: February 29, 2016, 04:49:02 PM »

Alright here is the final final list for Super Tuesday:

Primaries

8:00 PM - AL, MA, OK, TN, TX

Caucuses

2:00 PM to 7:00 PM - AS

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #167 on: February 29, 2016, 05:24:03 PM »

primaries:

caucuses:

American Samoa Huh

Around half of votes cast are early voting, which ended on Friday. Though they will eventually be attributed back to the actual voting precinct, they will be reported almost instantly. Texas also permits mail ballots to be tabulated on election day, so they can also be reported almost instantly.

Note Texas refers to voting as either early voting or election day voting. Early voting can either be in person or by mail. Mail voting is only for cause: (1) age or disability; (2) absence from the county for the entire voting period; or (3) confinement in jail.

Early voting in person is conducted at early voting locations for the two weeks prior to the election - Monday of the 1st week to Friday of the 2nd week, including both Saturday and Sunday of the weekend between the weeks. However, this year, Monday the 15th was not used because of the President's Day Holiday.

In smaller counties, the early voting location will be the courthouse. In larger counties there will be locations throughout the county, and a voter can vote at any one of them. Harris County has around 50, and it has a relatively small number per its population.

Incidentally, early voting turnout looks bad for Sanders. The heaviest Democratic turnout was in Hidalgo County, where there is also an open congressional seat TX-15. I doubt that Sanders has a big operation there. Outside Hidalgo, El Paso, and Travis, most voters are choosing the Republican ballot - and this was extenuated as early voting period went on. Counties like Bexar, Dallas, and Nueces were pretty even at the start, but were shifting slightly Republican by the weekend. It appears to be a lot like South Carolina where the Republican primary, pulled out a lot of possible Sanders voters.

The Republican areas could be surging for Trump or Cruz. Montgomery County was over 9:1 for Republicans.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #168 on: February 29, 2016, 08:45:54 PM »

Alright here is the final final list for Super Tuesday:

Primaries

8:00 PM - AL, MA, OK, TN, TX

Caucuses

2:00 PM to 7:00 PM - AS

Missing is the Republican precinct caucuses in WY, which has either happened already or will be completed by midnight Eastern.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #169 on: February 29, 2016, 09:22:28 PM »

Missing is the Republican precinct caucuses in WY, which has either happened already or will be completed by midnight Eastern.

The Wyoming caucuses don't include any binding presidential preference poll.  Some sources claim there will be a non-binding straw poll taken, but there isn't even an AP results page for Wyoming tomorrow.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #170 on: February 29, 2016, 09:29:47 PM »

How will Colorado, North Dakota, and Wyoming be colored in on the map?

I'm thinking it will probably just be by plurality of delegates, but that will be kind of awkward because the popular vote winner in a lot of other states often ends up not winning a plurality of delegates.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #171 on: March 01, 2016, 04:18:46 PM »

I wonder if the results rolling in from the primaries will have any effect on the caucuses.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #172 on: March 04, 2016, 04:47:11 AM »

OK, here’s where I’m at on the timing of the Sunday and Tuesday contests:

Maine Dems: Starting time varies from town to town.  Each caucus can start any time between 1 and 7pm, but they must all finish by 8pm.  You can find all the starting times here:

http://www.mainedems.org/page/caucus-faq

Puerto Rico Republicans:
Green Papers says 3pm ET:

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P16/closing.phtml?format=c

But if you actually click on the link, they express more uncertainty.  So I’m not 100% sure that 3pm ET is right.

Michigan: 8pm local time, which means 8pm ET in most of the state, and 9pm ET in part of the Upper Penninsula.

MS: 7pm local time, which means 8pm ET.

Idaho: 8pm local time (meaning 10pm or 11pm ET, depending on time zone).

Hawaii: 6pm to 8pm local time (11pm to 1am ET): http://gophawaii.com
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #173 on: March 04, 2016, 08:43:23 AM »

Sat, Mar. 5: KS caucuses(D: 2-4pm; R: 11am-3pm), KY caucuses (10am-5pm), LA primary (9pm), ME caucuses (8pm), NE caucuses (11am-9pm)
ico caucuses[/color]

In Kansas, will results start to come in at 2pm and 11am or at 4pm and 3pm?
In Kentucky, will results start to come in at 10am or at 5pm?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #174 on: March 04, 2016, 06:05:53 PM »

Sat, Mar. 5: KS caucuses(D: 2-4pm; R: 11am-3pm), KY caucuses (10am-5pm), LA primary (9pm), ME caucuses (8pm), NE caucuses (11am-9pm)
ico caucuses[/color]

In Kansas, will results start to come in at 2pm and 11am or at 4pm and 3pm?
In Kentucky, will results start to come in at 10am or at 5pm?

Results obviously won't come in at the time the caucus is starting, because even if they're fast, it takes at least half an hour or so for a caucus to be conducted and the votes to be counted.

But beyond that, I have no idea.  I don't know if the caucus sites that finish early will report right away or not.  Every caucus state seems to handle this differently.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies