Sex work
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:32:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Sex work
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]
Author Topic: Sex work  (Read 10248 times)
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: August 26, 2015, 06:46:25 PM »

I'd just like to bump this thread to say: Famous Mortimer, you were right. I've changed my position. My position before was "paternalistic" and "moralistic grandstanding" as you so eloquently put it. Legalization, which could ensure higher standards of living for sex workers and devastate the human trafficking black market, is the way to go.

So yeah, I just wanted to add that. Cheesy

wut?

My position - it has changed.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #176 on: August 26, 2015, 07:21:29 PM »

If that's actually sincere, then I commend you for being open-minded.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #177 on: August 26, 2015, 07:30:26 PM »

If that's actually sincere, then I commend you for being open-minded.

It is. After really thinking about it, I was wrong and my argument was patronizing.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #178 on: September 01, 2015, 06:15:27 PM »

Honestly, what made you change? Was it getting a lecture from a college age woman?
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #179 on: September 02, 2015, 03:36:49 PM »

Honestly, what made you change? Was it getting a lecture from a college age woman?

I was looking back through this thread and reading the language I used, and the arguments I used. The word you used, "paternalistic," really captures what I think my whole argument was. Looking back, I wasn't interested in having a pragmatic discussion about what would solve the problem (which I would say is human trafficking and abuse in sex work), but rather I wanted to dominate the moral high ground.

In theory, there is nothing wrong with prostitution. What is wrong is exploitation and abuse, which would be best combated by legalization.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #180 on: September 13, 2015, 06:19:31 PM »

But would it though? People like to say "legalisation" like its some kind of magic pixie dust that solves all ills. I mean should we stop and look at evidence? NO LEGALISE YOU FOOL, LEGALISDLIEGALISELEGALISEANDREGULATE
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #181 on: September 13, 2015, 06:41:15 PM »

But would it though? People like to say "legalisation" like its some kind of magic pixie dust that solves all ills. I mean should we stop and look at evidence? NO LEGALISE YOU FOOL, LEGALISDLIEGALISELEGALISEANDREGULATE

CrabCake, you know I'm not blindly saying "LEGALIZEANDREGULATE!!" It's taken me time and thought to reform my stance on this. You support decriminalization, correct? What does that solve that legalization would not solve?
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #182 on: September 19, 2015, 06:09:33 AM »

Sex should only occur between a man and his wife. All other sex is immorality. So sex work/prostitution or whatever you want to call this gross immorality should be illegal.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #183 on: September 19, 2015, 06:16:19 AM »

Well, I don't like sex work, but we need to legalize, restrict and regulate the sex industry, and make sure that everything going on between the prostitute and the costumer is fair, and not abuse is having towards these women.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #184 on: September 19, 2015, 03:03:26 PM »

CrabCake, you know I'm not blindly saying "LEGALIZEANDREGULATE!!" It's taken me time and thought to reform my stance on this. You support decriminalization, correct? What does that solve that legalization would not solve?

I support what the evidence supports; and the evidence is inconclusive. People adopt this legalise mantra in a very rash, unscientific manner, and that worries me.
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #185 on: September 20, 2015, 09:39:31 AM »

Sex should only occur between a man and his wife. All other sex is immorality. So sex work/prostitution or whatever you want to call this gross immorality should be illegal.
How boring you must be to have sex with. MISSIONARY ACCOMPLISHED!

I reported your personal attack but it appears nothing is going to be done. My ability in the sack is completely irrelevant to this conversation or my life as I am not married and have never had sex. So shut up about me and talk about the issue.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #186 on: September 20, 2015, 01:05:36 PM »

Agreed.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #187 on: September 20, 2015, 04:19:53 PM »

Agreed.

Silly gooses.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #188 on: September 20, 2015, 05:52:49 PM »

Agreed.

You guys must totally be fun at parties.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #189 on: September 20, 2015, 06:05:30 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2015, 06:08:04 PM by DavidB. »

Despite the use of the word "so", this last sentence does still not logically follow the first sentences.

Even if one thinks sex outside marriage is immoral, then banning prostitution isn't necessarily the way to go.

What do you think of my idea, which I outlined on page 7 of this thread?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies