What each candidate said to themselves when they decided to run
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:50:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What each candidate said to themselves when they decided to run
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What each candidate said to themselves when they decided to run  (Read 650 times)
dudeabides
Tuvalu
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 04, 2015, 02:56:52 PM »

What do you think each candidate thought when they decided to run?

Here is my thinking:

Republicans

Bobby Jindal: "If I run as a conservative, I can get through the primaries and then I can win the general election on a bold agenda. This is my best year to run"

Scott Walker: "I'm an outsider who can get things done in Washington. I've won three elections in a blue state, I can take my reform message to a national audience"

Marco Rubio: "I'm not going to wait for the party elders to tell me it's my turn, I am the future of the Republican Party and therefore, this is my year to run"

Ted Cruz: "Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, and Chris Christie are liberals, I'm a true conservative and experience is over rated"

Jeb Bush: "Our country is in very serious trouble, and Americans need a optimistic leader with solutions to our challenges. This is my last election where I can be a viable candidate, and although my brother's presidency hurts me, my own record and vision will help me succeed."

Chris Christie: "I was born to be Governor and then President of the United States. I know how to win elections, and I can win this one. The base will take into consideration where I was Governor, and I'm proven at building coalitions"

Donald Trump: "I'll tell everyone I'm a conservative even though in reality, I'm my own man because I know what's best and how to run a country since I've been so successful in business. I can win, and I can make America great again"

Lindsay Graham: "Rand Paul and Ted Cruz are soft on national security and no other Republican is taking either of them to task, so I'll be the national security candidate in this race. If I win, great. If I lose, I become an even more powerful and vetted voice on national security issues going forward"

George Pataki: "This is the last cycle I can run in, and unlike '08, I won't have Rudy Giuliani over shadowing me. I'll run as a moderate who can win the way Reagan did in 1980 and 1984. The right is so divided that if I'm the only moderate in the race, I'll win the nomination. I was the underdog against Mario Cuomo and I won, I can be the underdog against Jeb Bush and Hillary Clinton"

Rand Paul: "I ran for the U.S. Senate to be President because I know how to improve on Dad's showings; court his supporters, but also reach out to traditional Republicans on fiscal issues, and independents on criminal justice reform. I'm the one candidate who will stop the neo-cons from continuing to call the Republican Party home"

Ben Carson: "Being President would be cool, I think I have successfully marketed myself to be presidential material"

Mike Huckabee: "I love America and I want her to succeed, and I'm a strong, decisive leader who will restore America's military might, economic well-being, and moral values"

Rick Santorum: "I came so close to beating the establishment candidate in 2008, and my conservative values with a populist twist is exactly what the GOP needs. I lost in Pennsylvania in 2006 by standing on principle, and I think people will recognize that as a positive in 2016"

Carly Fiorina: "Why should I run for a lower office when the job I want is President of the United States? I'm qualified for the job and would be a better President than the other people running. Plus I have the best chance in a general election"

John Kasich: "I want to be President if possible, so I'll give it another go"

Democrats

Lincoln Chaffee: "I have executive and legislative experience, my only problem is I'm too liberal for Republicans because of Iraq and my opposition to the Bush tax cuts. So, I'll run as a Democrat, I am really an independent but I'm closer to the Democrats at this point"

Jim Webb: "I have as much a right to run for President as Hillary Clinton. My unique experience enables me to make the case that I can be the strongest leader, especially in foreign affairs"

Hillary Clinton: "I should have been the nominee in 2008, this time I'll have the support not only of my supporters from 2008, but also President Obama's supporters. While Jeb Bush would be difficult to beat, I can win against him or any other Republican"

Bernie Sanders: "The Democratic Party has been sold out to special interests, I want to reclaim the progressive roots of the party"

Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 04:35:21 PM »

All: "Hold on, I can make HOW much money by running?!"
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 04:45:39 PM »

All: "Hold on, I can make HOW much money by running?!"

touche
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 04:46:20 PM »

Hillary: Oh dear! I've lost the Montana primary. Well, on to 2016. Maybe 2012 if McCain wins in November.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 06:04:05 PM »

This was not a thread worth making.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon