Opinion of Thomas J. Whitmore
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:12:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Thomas J. Whitmore
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Where do you stand with the President from the movie Independence Day?
Freedom President

Horrible President

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 11

Author Topic: Opinion of Thomas J. Whitmore  (Read 1230 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 04, 2015, 05:59:59 PM »

Well?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 11:21:06 PM »

Badass FF.

Sure he made his mistakes in handling things but to quote David's dad "No one is perfect," but he generally cared about his country and world's well being.   Great rallier and communicator, plus bonus points for battling with his solders.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 07:27:53 AM »

FF by far.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 08:01:10 PM »

Loved his debate with Bob Dole on Saturday Night Live.  I don't remember all the details of the back and forth, but there was an exchange that went something like this:

Whitmore: My family leave law has been a great benefit to the average American.
Dole: The average American is dead!
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 09:46:08 PM »

Loved his debate with Bob Dole on Saturday Night Live.  I don't remember all the details of the back and forth, but there was an exchange that went something like this:

Yes Pullman did host SNL that year. That was a good show.

One of the few political highlights from that election SNL wise. 1996 was pretty weak on there besides that.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 01:24:02 AM »

One of the few political highlights from that election SNL wise. 1996 was pretty weak on there besides that.

They really didn't do anything of note during primary season, except for the "Teve Torbes" Nightline sketch.  Otherwise, the few sketches they had on the primaries tended to fall flat.

As for the general election campaign...I loved both Darrell Hammond's Clinton and Norm MacDonald's Dole, but they barely did anything with them in the weeks before the election.  I don't think they even had a normal Clinton/Dole debate parody, did they?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 01:55:15 AM »

They really didn't do anything of note during primary season, except for the "Teve Torbes" Nightline sketch.  Otherwise, the few sketches they had on the primaries tended to fall flat.

As for the general election campaign...I loved both Darrell Hammond's Clinton and Norm MacDonald's Dole, but they barely did anything with them in the weeks before the election.  I don't think they even had a normal Clinton/Dole debate parody, did they?

Nope.  Only years that didn't were 1980, 84, and 96. 80 was a cast change year and I'm glad they didn't do any because that cast stunk the joint up the cast member who played Reagan was god awful so I"m glad they didn't. That casts's first show wasn't until the Saturday after election day anyways.
1984 was the Billy Crystal/Martin Short year and they were pretty strong that season besides the political stuff. They made parodied Reagan once during the cycle instead focusing on Mondale and Ferraro. The memorable part of that year was a 4th wall esque skit where the actor playing Mondale interrupts the skit and brags about how he doesn't have to play him anymore and starts tearing the makeup off. Genius stuff from a lazy year poltics wise.

1996 was pretty lazy too. The odd part was that it wasn't as tulultous as the previous two years or had cast changes they just didn't care much about it. The skits were fine I guess but none of them were memorable besides the one Pullman did vs Dole or the one from the episode before the election with Dana Carvey as Bush Sr's dock skit with Norm's Dole. Still never heard why they didn't do a debate skit that year.

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 01:23:08 PM »

One of my favourite Republican Presidents.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 07:27:12 PM »

Massive HP. A horrible and typical Yankee imperialist neoliberal Zionist warmonger who waged a cruel, genocidal, and speciest war against a much more civilized alien race that had achieved a genuine classless society. (Normal).
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 03:57:58 PM »

President Obama wishes he could give a speech like President Whitmore... It's not like Area 51 has teleprompters after all....
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 04:24:46 PM »

President Obama wishes he could give a speech like President Whitmore...

President Obama has given countless speeches that are infinitely more beautiful and rhetorically sophisticated than whatever feel-goody fluff the scriptwriters of this cheap summer blockbuster had their President Mary Sue utter.

And I say this as someone who enjoyed Independence Day.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 06:14:17 PM »

President Obama wishes he could give a speech like President Whitmore...

President Obama has given countless speeches that are infinitely more beautiful and rhetorically sophisticated than whatever feel-goody fluff the scriptwriters of this cheap summer blockbuster had their President Mary Sue utter.

And I say this as someone who enjoyed Independence Day.

Obama had scriptwriters and teleprompters at his disposal if he needed them. Area 51. where Whitmore was at the time of the speech presumably had no teleprompters, and Whitmore's speechwriters probably didn't survive the city-destroying spaceships...

Under more normal circumstances, Obama probably is the better speaker.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 10:07:48 PM »

FF, great Republican! Tongue
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden