Israel losing support from Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:12:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Israel losing support from Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Israel losing support from Democrats  (Read 8755 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2015, 11:09:20 AM »

The current right-wing American support for Israel demonstrates the influence of white evangelicals and their End Times theology on the Republican Party, more than anything.  Additionally, the other side in the conflict are Muslims (for many on the Right, that means "terrorists", especially since 9/11), so there's that.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2015, 11:49:16 AM »

Too late.

Was this a serious post? This came off as a rambling, vicious assault on the left. Seriously, if you have nothing to contribute to the discussion and are just going to make personal character attacks on every single leftist in existence, then you can just go away.

It was intended to explain the cause for the lack of support of Israel by the left. I feel that it was well-done, thoughtful, and; despite your outrage for calling a spade a spade; accurate.

Of course, if disagreement troubles you, you could always just read the comics or perhaps write a book about your struggles and convince everyone to follow your example.

Also, for the record, in order for something to be 'personal', it has to be directed at a specific person, per the definition of the word. Clearly, my treatise was not.

It wasn't a treatise. It was far from it. It reads like something in a YouTube comments section. You didn't provide a coherent explanation, you lambasted an entire political ideology as being childlike and naive. You're a bomb thrower. Nothing more and nothing less.

And my beef isn't with Israel, it's with Netanyahu and the Likud government. Do you seriously think any of us oppose Israel's right to exist? And doesn't Palestine have a right to exist as well?
JohnRM
Rookie
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2015, 12:16:13 PM »

The current right-wing American support for Israel demonstrates the influence of white evangelicals and their End Times theology on the Republican Party, more than anything.  Additionally, the other side in the conflict are Muslims (for many on the Right, that means "terrorists", especially since 9/11), so there's that.

I am well and capable of differentiating between Muslims and terrorists. Not all terrorists are Muslims and not all Muslims are terrorists. I thought that was made evident when I excluded Jordan, a Muslim country, from my assertions that the other nations of the middle east were disasters, as I put it. I would also add Turkey and perhaps others after some consideration. Albania has come a long way in recent years, for example, but then it is also westernizing.

I also have no particular affinity for Israel beyond the reasons that I have already alluded to; westernized nations are better and right in their broad ideology of, in the classic sense, liberal government. I also happen to support the idea of national identity and culture. I do not like the idea of massive influxes of immigrants into Europe, America, or elsewhere that will not conform and integrate into the existing culture of their host country. I respect the decision of Muslims to keep their identity and culture, but if I had any say in the matter, they'd do so in their home countries, not in Europe or America (encompassing, in this case, Canada and the United States).

JohnRM
Rookie
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 12:17:39 PM »

It wasn't a treatise. It was far from it. It reads like something in a YouTube comments section. You didn't provide a coherent explanation, you lambasted an entire political ideology as being childlike and naive. You're a bomb thrower. Nothing more and nothing less.

And my beef isn't with Israel, it's with Netanyahu and the Likud government. Do you seriously think any of us oppose Israel's right to exist? And doesn't Palestine have a right to exist as well?

I am practiced at the art of saying much while typing very little.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 03:11:57 PM »

How about going for an infinite saying:typing ratio? That way you can say all you want except we won't have to read anything. Works well for all parties.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2015, 03:39:38 PM »

The failures of the Jewish Establishment are showing. I have been preaching the importance of keeping Democrats Pro-Israel for a very long time.

CountryClassSF

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2015, 04:52:04 PM »

God bless Israel and her allies
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2015, 05:40:40 PM »

If I were a Jew or an Israeli I would want no connection to any cause that would use my religion or my country as a cats' paw for some alien agenda that has little to do with Israel and Judaism and everything to do with some half-baked prophecy that will do no good, if achieved, for Judaism or Israel. Part of that prophecy is the mass conversion of Jews to Christianity... something that would obliterate Judaism and make Israel a meaningless concept.

Let Jews be Jews.   
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2015, 05:45:09 PM »

Which god?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2015, 08:21:17 PM »

Should this come as any sort of surprise? Israel is the epitome of just about everything the left hates. It is one of the few, if not the last, remaining westernized nations that has continued to preserve its identity as a nation founded on religious faith, with a particular cultural identity, and the willingness to use overwhelming deadly force to protect their way of life. They have convictions and principles. The left has been busy tearing down western civilization in Europe and the United States, but thus far their campaign against Israel has been rather ineffectual.

Worse still, the rightness of the western way of life in Israel stands in stark contrast to the disaster that is, with exception of perhaps Jordan, the rest of the middle east. It shows, on the national scale, what they deny on the individual scale; that there is a definite right and wrong. There are moral truths and moral absolutes. The left hates this fact, because they don't want there to be right and wrong. They want choices and carte blanche to do anything they desire free from the judgment of others, regardless of the cost to society. Israel has walled itself off from the corrupting influence of other societies and ways of life in order to preserve its own.

Of course, that is not vilify the left entirely. Their ideology comes from a place of kindness and, chiefly, a desire to get along with everyone. They are idealists and dreamers that never grew up or still have yet to grow up. The younger generations have an excuse; it is their natural inclination to be idealistic. They have not the life experience necessary to make informed decisions about such things, but the older members should know better. But, there is a reason that they don't know better, because they cannot measure the value of culture due to the simple fact that they have none. They espouse a multicultural society largely because they live in them already in the cities and suburbs, and a multicultural society is, in effect, no culture. When the values of a specific culture go unenforced within your own community, they cease to be values, and values are inherent to culture. The only value that I can discern from multicultural populations is: self-interest.

It is one thing, give them credit for it, that Muslims across the world are aware of. Thus, from the deserts of Saudi Arabia to the ethnic sections of Bradford, England, they resist mixing with other cultures in order to preserve their own. It is also why their culture and civilization will probably outlast ours.
Founded on religious faith? where do you learn you history from? Fox?

Quite right. Religious Zionism wasn't a strong movement until the 1970s and in the 1940s many of the most aggressive critics of the founding of the State of Israel were religious Jews who felt that establishing a state in the Holy Land was the duty of the Messiah, not the duty of the Haganah and the Irgun.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2015, 08:32:26 PM »

Smiley
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2015, 01:56:02 AM »

It took remarkably few edits to change a recent post in this thread into something a Roman might have written nineteen centuries ago, assuming he anachronisticly wrote in English.
Of course, that is not vilify the left Christians entirely. Their ideology comes from a place of kindness and, chiefly, a desire to get along with everyone. They are idealists and dreamers that never grew up or still have yet to grow up. The younger generations have an excuse; it is their natural inclination to be idealistic. They have not the life experience necessary to make informed decisions about such things, but the older members should know better. But, there is a reason that they don't know better, because they cannot measure the value of culture due to the simple fact that they have none. They espouse a multicultural society largely because they live in them already in the cities and suburbs, and a multicultural society is, in effect, no culture. When the values of a specific culture go unenforced within your own community, they cease to be values, and values are inherent to culture. The only value that I can discern from multicultural populations is: self-interest.

It is one thing, give them credit for it, that Muslims Jews across the world empire are aware of. Thus, from the deserts of Saudi Arabia Petraea to the ethnic sections of Bradford, England Lugdunum (Lyon, France), they resist mixing with other cultures in order to preserve their own. It is also why their culture and civilization will probably outlast ours.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2015, 02:22:09 AM »

If I were a Jew or an Israeli I would want no connection to any cause that would use my religion or my country as a cats' paw for some alien agenda that has little to do with Israel and Judaism and everything to do with some half-baked prophecy that will do no good, if achieved, for Judaism or Israel. Part of that prophecy is the mass conversion of Jews to Christianity... something that would obliterate Judaism and make Israel a meaningless concept.

Let Jews be Jews.   

As a partial Jew myself I'm sometimes tempted to reference Sourh Park by saying "Netenyahu is not the emperor of Jews!"
JohnRM
Rookie
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2015, 06:49:13 AM »

How about going for an infinite saying:typing ratio? That way you can say all you want except we won't have to read anything. Works well for all parties.

Jawohl, mein fuhrer! Should I report to ze camp, now?

I'm not sure why you'd come to an open forum if you only want to be around those that agree with you. I'm sure they have some brutal one-party state somewhere that will work for you.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2015, 06:50:17 PM »

It is truly a pity that the Democrats won't respond accordingly.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2015, 07:46:56 PM »

Progress!
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2015, 10:08:54 PM »

Good news.

Horrifying. The far left continues to insert its corrosive tentacles into the Democratic party, pushing them towards the hellish extremism that comes with any radical left-wing movement. Hopefully their embrace of this twisted worldview will be yet another reason they get slammed next year.

Democrats becoming hostile to Israel? No. Only to Bibi Netanyahu.

Really? All of the questions in the poll are very broad about the issue of Israel itself, not Netanyahu or Likud. Democrats are becoming more hostile to Israel as a whole because of Netanyahu's policies.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2015, 10:52:03 PM »

Horrifying. The far left continues to insert its corrosive tentacles into the Democratic party, pushing them towards the hellish extremism that comes with any radical left-wing movement. Hopefully their embrace of this twisted worldview will be yet another reason they get slammed next year.

The Republicans turning Israel into a partisan stick surely couldn't have helped? Oh and BiBi's idiocy, which has led to Israel being more internationally isolated than ever.

Obama's decision to attempt to bludgeon Israel into submission in 2010 came before any of that.

LOLWUT?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2015, 10:56:26 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2015, 10:58:05 PM by RG Griff »

Snowstalker.txt time:

" Asked whether South Africa is a racist country, 47% of Democrats agreed it is"

Characterizing South Africa as a "racist country," is pretty strong language, and goes beyond being estranged from the policies of the current South African government (with which I have some disagreements as well).  I for one am estranged from all that caustic and hyperbolic rhetoric out there in the pubic square. It makes sensible policy making just that much more difficult.

Also Freudian slip etc etc

I wonder if Israel would be capable of electing a Palestinian shortly after (purely hypothetical, of course) apartheid ends?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2015, 12:21:20 AM »

Not surprising at all. What has Israel done in the last 20 years to deserve the level of US support it gets?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2015, 06:10:54 AM »

BB has never been popular since 2003 Iraq War, and since then, the Kadima party has had Olmert who was much more moderate than Likud.

Whenever, there is a Labor party or Kadima member back in office, Dems will offer olive branch
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2015, 06:54:07 AM »

Good news.

Really? All of the questions in the poll are very broad about the issue of Israel itself, not Netanyahu or Likud. Democrats are becoming more hostile to Israel as a whole because of Netanyahu's policies.

SA had a massive Black majority. A hypothetical one state would be evenly split.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2015, 09:25:43 AM »

Friendly reminder that on Good Atlas, we do not have insane trolls like "Rubio Republican" (rofl) or "JohnMR".
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2015, 10:25:22 AM »

After years of systematically trying to undermine US foreign policy (most recently through a blatant effort to sabotage the deal with Iran, quite possibly the most important foreign policy venture since Nixon went to China), the American people are growing tired of the State of Israel's intransigence. Who would've guessed?

No one should post after The Mikado does.   Kthxbye.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2015, 03:15:12 PM »

Good news.

SA had a massive Black majority. A hypothetical one state would be evenly split.

I think you quoted the wrong post.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies