Rick Perry talks straight about race and the federal government
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:59:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Rick Perry talks straight about race and the federal government
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rick Perry talks straight about race and the federal government  (Read 681 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2015, 01:29:09 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/07/06/wonkbook-rick-perrys-shockingly-honest-speech-about-texass-racist-past/?tid=sm_fb

Maybe we're actually getting a new Rick Perry after all. If so there's another serious contender to be had. Props to him.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 02:37:44 PM »

If Perry's really smarted up and this isn't just a fluke, he'd be my third choice for the nomination.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 02:47:46 PM »

Nothing really revolutionary here. He said the government may have a role but didn't present any concrete proposal. He mostly just blamed the Democrats for not making Black people rich. No doubt his plan to make Black people rich is trickle down economics.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 05:53:18 PM »

Reminds me of when he was still a Democrat.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 07:09:09 PM »

If Perry's really smarted up and this isn't just a fluke, he'd be my third choice for the nomination.

Yes, if Perry can get his act together and runs a campaign in line with the rhetoric he's been using, he could actually become someone I'd consider voting for. Some of the things he was saying in his campaign launch seem to have come from an entirely different- and far more reasonable- person:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://time.com/3909562/rick-perry-campaign-launch-transcript/
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 07:23:54 PM »

I have often said Perry is one good debate performance away from being taken seriously again. He peaked in the low 30% range  in 2012. If he could get a third of those people back he is in the top tier.  The key for him is to look more credible than Walker who is currently winng the race for those wanting a true conservative governor.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 07:26:43 PM »

Perhaps Rick Perry, who is currently in pretrial status under indictment for a felony, has a new appreciation of the inequalities of rights that poor (and often minority) defendants experience when charged with a crime.  I tell you true:  Jail, even an afternoon in the slammer before posting bail, certainly has an awakening effect on some men.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 08:09:16 PM »

I didn't really like Perry, but now my opinion of him has really improved. I might actually consider voting for him now.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 08:41:24 PM »

Perhaps Rick Perry, who is currently in pretrial status under indictment for a felony, has a new appreciation of the inequalities of rights that poor (and often minority) defendants experience when charged with a crime.  I tell you true:  Jail, even an afternoon in the slammer before posting bail, certainly has an awakening effect on some men.

I don't know. His felony charges are, of course, essentially a joke. I stand by my earlier characterisation of the Travis County DA's office as a "political hit squad masquerading as a legal authority."

I didn't really like Perry, but now my opinion of him has really improved. I might actually consider voting for him now.

Obviously, one should wait until the debates before they're sure...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 08:50:32 PM »

Yes, if Perry can get his act together and runs a campaign in line with the rhetoric he's been using, he could actually become someone I'd consider voting for. Some of the things he was saying in his campaign launch seem to have come from an entirely different- and far more reasonable- person:

Perry/Sanders 2016
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 08:59:15 PM »

I don't know. His felony charges are, of course, essentially a joke. I stand by my earlier characterisation of the Travis County DA's office as a "political hit squad masquerading as a legal authority."

I go back and forth about the charges.  I do think that in the name of "transparency" we have criminalized aspects of politics that, however unsavory, are not really crimes that deprive someone of their rights.  But a lot of criminal defendants are facing jail for acts that are often raised to felonies when there is no reason that they should not be misdemeanors or civil matters.  One reason they're felonies is because private prison operators can lock up more people if more things are felonies instead of misdemeanors or civil matters, and Rick Perry has received loads of money in his career from private prison providers.  Now he's the one facing judgment.  Perhaps he needs to think about this when he reviews some of Texas's Draconian criminal laws.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 08:59:43 PM »

Perry/Sanders 2016

Agreed that Perry is being underestimated, but that ticket is never happening.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 09:11:23 PM »

Of course. I'm just saying that he doesn't seem nearly as terrible a candidate as he used to.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies