Would you rather live in a city with no strip clubs or no private schools?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:25:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would you rather live in a city with no strip clubs or no private schools?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Would you rather live in a city with no strip clubs or no private schools?
no strip clubs

no private schools

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Would you rather live in a city with no strip clubs or no private schools?  (Read 3560 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2005, 11:45:15 AM »

Basically say you got two job offerings in two different cities. One has strip clubs but there are no private schools anywhere in the whole city. The other has plenty of private schools but no strip clubs. Which one do you go with?

I don't even need to explain my answer. But before people call me shallow, might I ask how the city full of private schools would benefit me in any way, since even if I had kids I'd kill myself before send them to a private school anyway. Private schools are of absolutely not use to me.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 11:57:41 AM »

Yes, I definitly wouldn't want to attend a private school.  But privates schools don't cause land values to shoot down.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 11:58:12 AM »

My kids' futures are more important than my need to see naked women.  No question here.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 12:00:08 PM »

Yes, I definitly wouldn't want to attend a private school.  But privates schools don't cause land values to shoot down.

that's another plus. Cheaper rent!
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 12:02:20 PM »

Basically say you got two job offerings in two different cities. One has strip clubs but there are no private schools anywhere in the whole city. The other has plenty of private schools but no strip clubs. Which one do you go with?

I don't even need to explain my answer. But before people call me shallow, might I ask how the city full of private schools would benefit me in any way, since even if I had kids I'd kill myself before send them to a private school anyway. Private schools are of absolutely not use to me.

Even if the local public school sucked and you had a lot of money that you could conceivably spend on your children's education?
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 12:07:22 PM »

Even if the local public school sucked and you had a lot of money that you could conceivably spend on your children's education?

And also see the value of your home depreciated by little whorehouses nearby?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 12:10:02 PM »

I would never send my kids to a private school for 2 reasons. The first is that no kid of mine is ever wearing a school uniform. The second is that I don't want them associating with the kids at a private school.

And I don't care about property values. Them dropping is good, it means housing is more affordable.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 12:14:04 PM »

that's another plus. Cheaper rent!
I prefer to own the place where I live.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 12:19:06 PM »

Second. Well, only if the cities are otherwise utterly equal. It's not as if I cared that much for either institution.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 01:14:01 PM »

And also see the value of your home depreciated by little whorehouses nearby?

If there were a town with whorehouses nearby in the US I would not have to live overseas.  Who cares about 'the value of your home' compared to those kind of options.

Besides if prostitution were legal and pervasive, it would not constitute an unusual factor in the value of a house.  Whorehouses would be normal, like gas stations, and wouldn't effect anything.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 01:22:00 PM »

I would never send my kids to a private school for 2 reasons. The first is that no kid of mine is ever wearing a school uniform. The second is that I don't want them associating with the kids at a private school.

You won't have kids so why is this a concern?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2005, 01:22:42 PM »

I'd rather be without strip clubs. I've got nothing against them, but I've got no use for them myself. Private schools on the other hand would give me an option if I had kids and the public schools were crappy.

Whorehouses would be normal, like gas stations, and wouldn't effect anything.

Not many people would want to live near a whorehouse. Property values would almost certainly be affected.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2005, 01:32:17 PM »

I live right next to some.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2005, 01:32:36 PM »

Not many people would want to live near a whorehouse. Property values would almost certainly be affected.

No, the only reason people think ill of them is because of puritanism.  Any negative characteristics of whorehouses are caused by their illegality, which drives them into the underground, where only the desperate participate.  If they were out in the open, in a tolerant, non-puritan society, they would have no negative effect on their neighbors.

Lucky Bastard!  And I bet they have no ill effect on you eh?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2005, 01:34:57 PM »

No, the only reason people think ill of them is because of puritanism.  Any negative characteristics of whorehouses are caused by their illegality, which drives them into the underground, where only the desperate participate.  If they were out in the open, in a tolerant, non-puritan society, they would have no negative effect on their neighbors.

Even if they were legal, your other ifs don't matter, they're just ifs - it wouldn't change the fact that people don't want to live next to whorehouses. Hell - I would prefer they be legal, but I sure as hell don't want to live next to one. 'If' doesn't change fact.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2005, 01:37:04 PM »

Well I do live in a poor, highish immigrant, inner city area. There's a Mosque immediately next door. There's a big hospital around the corner. There's just one house between the river and me...and the embankment is very nice. There's the old Jewish cemetery to the North, and then there's a red light district that's also being lived in just north of the cemetery. I pretty much walk through the area everyday.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2005, 01:38:05 PM »

Well I do live in a poor, highish immigrant, inner city area. There's a Mosque immediately next door. There's a big hospital around the corner. There's just one house between the river and me...and the embankment is very nice. There's the old Jewish cemetery to the North, and then there's a red light district that's also being lived in just north of the cemetery. I pretty much walk through the area everyday.

I would be a hell of a lot more worried about the Mosque than the whorehouses.  Do the moslems ever try to attack them?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2005, 01:46:23 PM »

No. Silly idea. They're nice old workingfolks for the most part. Plus their sons are probably all regular customers. And go to pray on Fridays if they find the time.
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2005, 09:40:10 AM »

My kids' futures are more important than my need to see naked women.  No question here.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2005, 09:43:48 AM »

The saddest part of this poll is that this isn't even close to even being a candidate for the dumbest poll in Atlas history
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2005, 02:05:31 PM »

The saddest part of this poll is that this isn't even close to even being a candidate for the dumbest poll in Atlas history

It isn't at all 'dumb'.  It is a question about lifestyle that gets to the heart of what kind of society you want.  Personally I think a city without strip clubs, brothels, and the like is absolutely useless.

Excellent poll.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2005, 06:51:35 PM »

I'm a bit confused by the poll. It seems to imply that strip clubs and private schools are opposites. Many people don't require either in their consideration for a move, so how should they answer the poll?

Many communities have both private schools and strip clubs. No community may create zoning regulations to completely bar adult entertainment such as strip clubs. Communities can place reasonable restrictions to insure their separation from places where children may be, but those restrictions must still provide that adult uses have permitted locations within the community.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2005, 06:52:43 PM »

I'm a bit confused by the poll. It seems to imply that strip clubs and private schools are opposites. Many people don't require either in their consideration for a move, so how should they answer the poll?

Many communities have both private schools and strip clubs. No community may create zoning regulations to completely bar adult entertainment such as strip clubs. Communities can place reasonable restrictions to insure their separation from places where children may be, but those restrictions must still provide that adult uses have permitted locations within the community.

Define "community".
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2005, 06:56:34 PM »

it's just a hypothetical. It's true this is not an either/or case, but there are communities with no strip clubs and there are communities with no private schools. So the question is simply if you had to choose one to live in, which would it be? I naturally choose the one with no private schools because I have absolutely no use for private schools whatsoever.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2005, 07:18:55 PM »

A society without strip clubs is a blessed one. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies