Eric Holder -Justice Dept Could Strike Deal with Edward Snowden
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:21:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Eric Holder -Justice Dept Could Strike Deal with Edward Snowden
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Eric Holder -Justice Dept Could Strike Deal with Edward Snowden  (Read 3744 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2015, 07:08:31 PM »

Eric Holder: The Justice Department could strike deal with Edward Snowden

Michael Isikoff, Chief Investigative Correspondent
July 6, 2015

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 07:45:06 PM »

Good news, I guess? He needs to be punished in some manner, even though what he did was right.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 08:32:08 PM »

Good news, I guess? He needs to be punished in some manner, even though what he did was right.

Give him 30 hours of community service or something.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 08:40:02 PM »

Why should he be punished at all if what he did was right?

If anything he should be praised. We need more people to be willing to speak out.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 09:05:46 PM »

If anything he should be praised. We need more people to be willing to speak out.
Chelsea Manning took her punishment. That is the point of martyrdom-that the victim suffer for the greater good.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 11:07:16 PM »

We must punish him - breaking the law is breaking the law. However, he doesn't need to stay in prison until he's elderly. I propose 10 years in jail, with the potential for early release in the last 3 years, for releasing classified information and extreme contempt of court (fleeing to Moscow).
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 12:00:11 AM »

Give him 30 hours of community service or something.

I'd say that he's already put in thousands of hours of community service.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 03:02:31 AM »

Give him 5 years of probation. That would be a punishment, but he's already been punished by being forced to flee the country and be a puppet for Putin.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 05:00:56 AM »

Obama should just pardon him on January 20, 2017.
JohnRM
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 06:45:46 AM »

There is no reason to make a deal with Snowden. He has already clearly spilled all the beans he had in his possession. The only reason to bring him back now is for execution. Clearly, we can't make a deal that he would accept that would allow us to do that.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 10:40:08 AM »

Chelsea Manning took her punishment. That is the point of martyrdom-that the victim suffer for the greater good.

What kind of logic is that? You want people who did nothing wrong to be unjustly punished just so that they can then claim to be martyrs? Isn't the world better if we don't actively try to create martyrs?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 10:48:55 AM »

Obama should just pardon him on January 20, 2017.
JohnRM
Rookie
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 11:00:25 AM »

What kind of logic is that? You want people who did nothing wrong to be unjustly punished just so that they can then claim to be martyrs? Isn't the world better if we don't actively try to create martyrs?

I think what he means is that while he does not believe that what he did with regard to espionage was wrong, but rather it is the fact that he fled to Russia. That may be what he believes Snowden ought to be punished for.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 11:23:57 AM »

He did break a law. You can't pick and choose what laws to follow, whether they are right or wrong. Should I not buy health insurance because I oppose Obamacare?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 11:24:41 AM »

There is no reason to make a deal with Snowden. He has already clearly spilled all the beans he had in his possession. The only reason to bring him back now is for execution. Clearly, we can't make a deal that he would accept that would allow us to do that.

You want to execute Snowden? Good luck with that, it's never going to happen.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 11:31:18 AM »

Obama should officially recognize Crimea as Russian territory in exchange for the delivery of Snowden's severed head in a gift-wrapped box to the White House.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2015, 11:35:15 AM »

He did break a law. You can't pick and choose what laws to follow, whether they are right or wrong. Should I not buy health insurance because I oppose Obamacare?

If a law is morally wrong and some people are being prosecuted and jailed under it, the law in question should be immediately repealed and the people pardoned. I don't support making individual exceptions, but I fully support fixing what's broken.
JohnRM
Rookie
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2015, 12:34:45 PM »

Obama should officially recognize Crimea as Russian territory in exchange for the delivery of Snowden's severed head in a gift-wrapped box to the White House.

I would hope it would be part of a larger agreement aimed at detente.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 12:57:53 PM »

The only reason to bring him back now is for execution.

I think this would make the United States the first country in the world to execute a Right Livelihood Award laureate.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 01:08:15 PM »

CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2015, 01:27:55 PM »

I would hope it would be part of a larger agreement aimed at detente.

You guys are sick. Wishing a beheading is inhumane and in poor taste even if it's a joke.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 01:38:04 PM »

If Edward Snowden is prosecuted for revealing "classified" information than the government officials who lied to the American people about the NSA's illegal spying should be as well.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 01:44:03 PM »

Even if we accept your premise that there isn't a reason to partially pardon Snowden based on the motivation for and result of his actions, the fact is that Chelsea Manning was not executed, and could be released after just 8 years in prison. Why are Snowden's crimes worse?
JohnRM
Rookie
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 01:58:42 PM »

Even if we accept your premise that there isn't a reason to partially pardon Snowden based on the motivation for and result of his actions, the fact is that Chelsea Manning was not executed, and could be released after just 8 years in prison. Why are Snowden's crimes worse?

I am not going to be diverted from discussion of this specific topic. They are two separate issues. If you wish to know my opinion on Mr. Manning's case, you will have to start a new thread.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 03:09:31 PM »

If a law is morally wrong and some people are being prosecuted and jailed under it, the law in question should be immediately repealed and the people pardoned. I don't support making individual exceptions, but I fully support fixing what's broken.
It should be immediately repealed and Snowden should eventually pardoned, but neither are going to happen. If Snowden returns to the United States, he should face charges and take his medicine like a man. If he stays in Russia, he can wait it out and eventually be pardoned. But until the law is repealed, they are still in effect.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies