Rate the Presidents, Installment #39: Jimmy Carter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:16:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Rate the Presidents, Installment #39: Jimmy Carter
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How would you rate Jimmy Carter as a President?
✯✯✯✯✯

✯✯✯✯

✯✯✯

✯✯

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Rate the Presidents, Installment #39: Jimmy Carter  (Read 1779 times)
JonathanSwift
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2015, 10:37:55 AM »

Jimmy Carter, 1977-1981

Previous Results
Abraham Lincoln: 4.45 Stars
George Washington: 4.42 Stars
Chester A. Arthur: 3.8 Stars
Dwight D. Eisenhower: 3.7 Stars
Franklin Delano Roosevelt: 3.67 Stars
Thomas Jefferson: 3.65 Stars
Theodore Roosevelt: 3.59 Stars
James Monroe: 3.57 Stars
John Quincy Adams: 3.5 Stars
Grover Cleveland: 3.46 Stars
Grover Cleveland: 3.46 Stars
John F. Kennedy: 3.43 Stars
Harry S. Truman: 3.38 Stars
James Madison: 3.23 Stars
William Howard Taft: 3.15 Stars
Zachary Taylor: 3.15 Stars
James A. Garfield: 3.14 Stars
Calvin Coolidge: 3.12 Stars
Ulysses S. Grant: 3.06 Stars
Martin Van Buren: 3.04 Stars
James K. Polk: 2.85 Stars
Gerald Ford: 2.73 Stars
John Adams: 2.58 Stars
Lyndon B. Johnson: 2.53 Stars
Warren Harding: 2.48 Stars
William McKinley: 2.47 Stars
Andrew Jackson: 2.43 Stars
William Henry Harrison: 2.38 Stars
Woodrow Wilson: 2.36 Stars
Millard Fillmore: 2.33 Stars
Benjamin Harrison: 2.33 Stars
Richard Nixon: 2.29 Stars
Rutherford B. Hayes: 2.15 Stars
Herbert Hoover: 2.11 Stars
John Tyler: 2.11 Stars
Andrew Johnson: 1.72 Stars
Franklin Pierce: 1.6 Stars
James Buchanan: 1.41 Stars
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 10:46:52 AM »

1 Star
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 10:54:09 AM »

Largely useless, two stars. (He gets an extra one star for SALT II and pardoning draft dodgers)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 11:22:26 AM »

A mediocre/bad president but a genuinely despicable human being
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 11:28:30 AM »

3 stars. Did his best in difficult times, and in several instances he proved more principled than your average politician. His economic policies were pretty misguided though.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 11:48:07 AM »

Three stars.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 12:37:59 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2015, 12:40:12 PM by PJ »

Terrible politician, and pursued too much deregulation. Still, his principles and his charity work were admirable, and he had some good points (Panama Canal Treaties, SALT 2, pardoning draft dodgers). 3 stars.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 12:39:48 PM »

Four stars. One of the great Presidents of this era.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 01:03:08 PM »

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 01:08:56 PM »

A mediocre/bad president but a genuinely despicable human being

Err smug, sanctimonious and hypocritical maybe, but hardly despicable? :/
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 01:34:42 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2015, 02:10:59 PM by Computer09 »

1 star , made a bad economy to the worst economy since the depression, let inflation get out of control again, did nothing to stop the Islamic Revoultion in 1979 from happening, had a failed hostage rescue, let the Soviets make enormous gains on the world and never took advantage that if you put pressure on the Soviets they were ten years from collapsing.

He is a great person but terrible president.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 02:13:34 PM »

A genuinely good, decent man who was not prepared to be president. Three stars.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 02:20:53 PM »

Literally the only things I give him credit for was the Camp David Accords w/ Begin and Sadat and for pardoning draft dodgers, otherwise, his Presidency was a failure , economically, and foreign policy wise.

While I like to blame Eisenhower and his ilk for the long-term damage done to Iran and the Middle East, Carter's inability/refusal to support the Shah was not helpful at all and led to the current disgusting regime's reign of terror. Oh, and of course, his proven inability to lead during the Iran Hostage Crisis.

I would not have been a fan of giving away the Panama Canal, but this is hardly an issue I'd prioritize when bashing Carter.

Carter was also extremely naive in relation to the culture of Washington Politics, which I think was partly responsible for his failures domestically.

However, all of that is not even my least favorite thing about him. I think he was a 1 star President, and a 0 star human being.

His support for Hamas, Hezbollah and other terrorist groups under the ridiculous moniker of human rights truly proves how pathetic and naive this man is. And I am sure it is of no surprise to many people on here, but his dislike for Israel is yet another reason I despise Jimmy Carter.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 02:30:04 PM »

Literally the only things I give him credit for was the Camp David Accords w/ Begin and Sadat and for pardoning draft dodgers, otherwise, his Presidency was a failure , economically, and foreign policy wise.

While I like to blame Eisenhower and his ilk for the long-term damage done to Iran and the Middle East, Carter's inability/refusal to support the Shah was not helpful at all and led to the current disgusting regime's reign of terror. Oh, and of course, his proven inability to lead during the Iran Hostage Crisis.

I would not have been a fan of giving away the Panama Canal, but this is hardly an issue I'd prioritize when bashing Carter.

Carter was also extremely naive in relation to the culture of Washington Politics, which I think was partly responsible for his failures domestically.

However, all of that is not even my least favorite thing about him. I think he was a 1 star President, and a 0 star human being.

His support for Hamas, Hezbollah and other terrorist groups under the ridiculous moniker of human rights truly proves how pathetic and naive this man is. And I am sure it is of no surprise to many people on here, but his dislike for Israel is yet another reason I despise Jimmy Carter.

What sad is Carter will rate higher then Reagan on this forum even though I hope not
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 03:45:41 PM »

Four stars. One of the great Presidents of this era.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 04:12:57 PM »

What sad is Carter will rate higher then Reagan on this forum even though I hope not

What's so sad about a guy who ensured the U.S. fired no bullets, created one of the smartest environmental policies, and got the ball rolling on mental health awareness having a higher rating than the man who fired hard-working people, funded terrorists, campaigned in Philadelphia, MS on "State's Rights"?

No, he deserves not just to be higher than Reagan, he deserves at least 4 stars just for what he came into and his principled stands...even considering deregulation.

His environmental, education, and mental health policies are still by far the most advanced the U.S. has had in 40 years

One star subtracted for the excessive deregulation though.

Nonetheless, the U.S. still hasn't had a better president since.

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 04:49:18 PM »

Horrible on so many levels, and an even worse ex-President. One star.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 04:49:36 PM »

Very underrated. Three stars.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 04:59:32 PM »

I don't know how a centre left person can prefer him to Obama though, seeing as Obama is ... Remotely competent?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 05:24:27 PM »

1 star , made a bad economy to the worst economy since the depression, let inflation get out of control again, did nothing to stop the Islamic Revoultion in 1979 from happening, had a failed hostage rescue, let the Soviets make enormous gains on the world and never took advantage that if you put pressure on the Soviets they were ten years from collapsing.

How would you stop the Islamic revolution stopping in 1979? Ironic that you then mentioned a failed hostage rescue (launching the mission was him being 'tough')

Eh, he followed the same policy that LBJ, Nixon and Ford took to the Soviet Union-he hardly allowed them to make gains. The only 'gain' they got was sending troops to Angola to fight a civil war that didn't end until 2002, and allowing the soviets to pick the wrong side in the Ethiopia-Angola war. His actions post Afghanistan Invasion-increasing arms spending, grain embargo and calling it 'the most aggressive act since ww2' seems pretty tough. I've seen prominent figures even blame carter for being too tough on the middle east

and yeah, AIPAC couldn't have a President who didn't love Israel. Every American has got to love Israel
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 05:36:33 PM »

2 stars. Carter should get credit for the Camp David accords and I liked how he stood up to his party on some domestic issues but the guy couldn't get crap done and set up some bad monetary policy that prolonged stagflation and set up the early eighties recession.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 07:07:17 PM »

How would you stop the Islamic revolution stopping in 1979? Ironic that you then mentioned a failed hostage rescue (launching the mission was him being 'tough')

Eh, he followed the same policy that LBJ, Nixon and Ford took to the Soviet Union-he hardly allowed them to make gains. The only 'gain' they got was sending troops to Angola to fight a civil war that didn't end until 2002, and allowing the soviets to pick the wrong side in the Ethiopia-Angola war. His actions post Afghanistan Invasion-increasing arms spending, grain embargo and calling it 'the most aggressive act since ww2' seems pretty tough. I've seen prominent figures even blame carter for being too tough on the middle east

and yeah, AIPAC couldn't have a President who didn't love Israel. Every American has got to love Israel
See, here is a President we can agree with 100% on!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2015, 07:11:28 PM »

2 stars, Mideast envoy after leaving office. Lost presidency, to Ronald Reagan, in part, due to Iran intentionally releasing hostages after the election.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2015, 07:54:36 PM »

JonathanSwift
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2015, 12:04:38 PM »