Are Republican Party policies the root cause of nearly all of our problems? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:53:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Are Republican Party policies the root cause of nearly all of our problems? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 113

Author Topic: Are Republican Party policies the root cause of nearly all of our problems?  (Read 7622 times)
RR1997
United States

« on: July 09, 2015, 01:34:27 PM »
« edited: June 05, 2016, 12:37:40 PM by RR1997 »

Hi guys! I'm RR1997.

My political views have been shifting to left in recent months. I used to be a lot more conservative last year than I am now. I used to be a hawk and a huge Dick Cheney fan, but now I consider myself a centrist/center-left on foreign policy issues. I used to be a right-winger on economic issues, but now I consider myself to be center-right on economic issues. I've been socially liberal my whole life. I'm starting to go through an identity crisis. I don't know who I am. I feel like I'm too right-wing for the Democratic, too left-wing from the Republican Party, and too south-wing for the Libertarian Party (#moderateheroproblems). I feel so left out. Like I don't belong anywhere.

Anyways, is conservatism the root cause of all our problems? The 2008 Financial Crisis was mainly cause by the deregulation of the big banks and the financial sector in general, the "Greed is Good" type mentality, the repeal of Glass-Stealgall. All of which are all conservative principles. Even though I'm still a supporter of deregulation (for most industries), I'm starting to question its effectiveness. Deregulation has hurt us more than it has helped, according to history (with the 2008 Crisis being a good example of that). Even though I used to believe that the government was bad and shouldn't get in the way of the private sector, I'm starting to break away from that kind of thinking (I still adhere to that type of thinking, but just less so compared a year ago).

I'm also a supporter of trickle-down economics, but I'm starting to question its effectiveness as well. History has shown that middle-out economics benefits every class. When the middle-class (the consumers) benifits, so does the rich. It didn't seem to work the other way around when we tried it the other way during The Reagan Era (1981-2009), and all trickle-down economics has done for this country is widen the wealth gap. I'm still for trickle-down economics, but I'm starting to understand the other side.

Even though I still believe that tax cuts do help the economy, I'm starting to question the effectiveness of tax cuts as well. Not only are tax cuts fiscally unsound, do tax cuts really help stimulate the economy? What historical proof is there of this (legit question)? Not to mention that Bush's tax cuts were incredibly fiscally unsound and added on to our debt problem that conservatives keep on whining about. I'm not going to deny that higher taxes means that the government can invest more money in stuff like a better education system, transportation, etc, which is probably good for the economy as well. I still consider myself to be a conservative on the issue of taxes, I'm starting to understand the left-wing point of view.

I've heard many people claim that "you don't cut spending during a recession." Is this the truth? Is more government spending a good thing for our economy? Most economist agree that the Stimulus Package helped us a lot.

I used to be a hawk on foreign policy issues, but that's not true anymore. The hawkish foreign policy brought upon by the conservatives is the reason behind 9/11, ISIS, our budget problems, etc.

Social conservatives have always been on the wrong side of history. Social conservativism is evil. I'm all about progress. If the SoCons were in charge since the mid-1900's, we'd still have racial segregation, no interracial marriages, and etc. Even today, SoCons are fired up by hate. They hate everything different. SSM legalization was a step forward. It was a sign of progress, and SoCons hate this. They don't want us to change as a society for the better. They want to take us backwards. They want to degrade us. Social conservatism is the reason why hate exists. It's the reason why society is progressing slower than we should.

I hear people claim all the time that they're conservatives, but not Republicans, but I'm the exact opposite of that. I'm a Republican, but not a conservative. I'm a liberal Republican. Conservatism is all about opposing modernism. Conservatism is all about hatred and backwardness. Liberalism is all liberty,progress,change,hope,and freedom. I'm a proud liberal.

Globalization is something I'm completely for. This means that I believe that free trade agreements, job outsourcing, more immigration, and the "global-economy" are all things I'm strongly for. I believe in progress. I like the UN. I believe that U.S. should be involved in the world. I belive in change. I don't believe in patriotism and tradition.

Economic conservatism is arguably the root cause of the 2008 Financial Crisis, the wealth gap (I actually don't think the wealth gap is a huge problem,but many do obv.), and our budget crisis.

Foreign policy conservatism is arguably the root cause of 9/11,ISIS,the deaths of thousands in the Middle-East, and the budget crisis.

Social conservatism is arguably the root cause of America's hatred of things that are different and it's backwardness. It's the reason why we aren't progressing faster.

I've noticed that nearly all of our problems that the US faces can be traced back to conservatism.

Do you guys believe that conservatism is the root cause of all our problems?

I voted yes.

EDIT: Changed the title.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 05:18:12 PM »

I changed the title.

By "conservatism" I meant the way most Americans would define it. Basically the policies of the current GOP.

RR1997
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 05:24:35 PM »

Let's play a little game

Someone name a (government-related) problem that the U.S. is going through right now, and I'll connect it to Republican policies

Let's go
RR1997
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 02:00:48 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2015, 02:08:23 PM by RR1997 »

The results of this poll officially debunks the myth that Atlas is a left-wing forum.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies