Why is education falling behind?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:56:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why is education falling behind?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Why is education falling behind?  (Read 2538 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2015, 06:27:48 AM »

Let's suggest a moderate compromise people: homeschooling should of course be illegal, but people who are homeschooled are invariably creepy weirdos (TimTurner aside).

Yeah, I've seen homeschoolers on TV and met a couple once.  I think I can accurately say that homeschoolers are socially oblvious weirdos.  Roll Eyes

Also, I am not a bigot. In fact I am an enlightened individual Tongue
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2015, 06:45:42 AM »

But homeschooling is the best option we have now. At least it doesn't require kids to learn about liberal worldview. If you want your kid to really learn things then homeschooling is the best choice.

...and be out of touch with reality. No, I don't mean reality TV. I mean the reality of multiple cultures, alternative views, and of course science that contradicts a literal reading of the least-reliable parts of the Bible.

Most parents who do home schooling do so to 'shelter' their kids from reality.

A hint: Rachel Dolezal was home-schooled.

First, homeschoolers do better on the SATs than those going to public schools.  Second, there's nothing wrong with a parent trying to mold them in faith and keep kids from the destructive influences of many public schools.

1. But they are lambs to the slaughter in the real world.

2. Faith in nonsense (like young-earth creationism, Marxism-Leninism, UFOs, Afrocentrism) is worthless.

3. It's up to parents to make clear that their children are to avoid getting drawn into destructive tendencies. Once the kids are out on their own they will face those in real life -- as in the workplace. Learning to recognize dangerous temptation for what it is and learning to avoid it is essential to becoming an adult.

When I was in high school -- not only was I often offered drugs -- some people actually tried to get me to deal drugs!

4. Homeschooling might be acceptable if the parents are unusually adept at teaching -- but such suggests that they could fare better by teaching kids in the public schools.

1. It's empirically true that homeschoolers get higher SAT scores than kids going to public schools.  Show me the evidence they're "lambs for the slaughter" in the real world.

There's more to learning than the formal curriculum. Most home-schooled kids are isolated from the Real World temptations and dangers.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Kids who attend parochial schools get a religious view, too. Of course, such might be the 'wrong' sort of religious view (Catholic) for those who insist upon home-schooling. But at that, a kid who goes through Catholic schools will get to recognize evolution as a strong theory with no viable alternatives. After all, the Catholic Church doesn't need science as an enemy to faith. If home-schooling exists to deny objective science and promote a mythological history one lays the foundation for a rebellion against the "Christian" part of the eduction.

Those bad influences almost never come from public-school teachers or administrators. Those bad influences come from the neighborhood and mass culture. If those bad influences are concentrated heavily in communities with low socio-economic status (SES), then even home-schooling will be inadequate. But many children will be raised in low-SES environments. So perhaps even a trip to the local grocery will lead a child past addicts strung out, street whores, and other such illustrious members of the community. (irony intended)

Small children obviously cannot flourish in a PG-13, let alone NC-17, environment. Of course it is best that children be shielded from overt sexuality. But public K-12 educators usually do that well enough. I once asked a school administrator in a junior high what was wrong with kids from a certain elementary school. The simple answer? "They go home".  

As we all know, K-12 teachers are not the best-and-brightest. They are generally above-average, which has proved average. Temperament matters more than brilliance. There are brilliant people who would lack the patience to interact with children...  and then there is the unmentionable.

I got quite a shock going from rural Michigan to urban California as a high-school junior. A different ethnic mix? That was easy. Being an unsophisticated hayseed? I wasn't so unsophisticated as I might have expected. Gangs and drugs? Such was horrible. (By the way -- in my experience, the worst gangs were white!)

"Social maturity" is learned in the School of Hard Knocks.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2015, 06:52:17 AM »

Ever since the federal government has put money into education (under LBJ) the US has done worse and worse on international standards. We've seen more and more government involvement in education over the past 50 years, and it hasn't improved the situation. Once you take innovation away from education and you make it so strictly boring that kids don't appreciate what they learn, they only care about tests, college prep, and such, you can see why educationally the US has fallen behind some of the world. Most kids don't enjoy learning once they hit a certain age, and that's a shame. The problem is not lack of funding, Its the taking away of choice and individualistic learning, and taking the top-down approach.

And yeah, the big government left always targets homeschooling for some odd reason. As it turns out, they actually perform better educationally. They just can't stand it as part of their universal everything thinking.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2015, 07:15:35 AM »

Let's suggest a moderate compromise people: homeschooling should of course be illegal, but people who are homeschooled are invariably creepy weirdos (TimTurner aside).

Where's the compromise?

Of course not be illegal. Oops
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2015, 07:19:27 AM »

This is such an Atlas thread and I mean that in the most damning way possible.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2015, 07:23:36 AM »

This is such an Atlas thread and I mean that in the most damning way possible.

At least totally ignoring vocational training (which is rather central), some strange assumptions about cultural differences and much too focused on STEM.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies