Jeb Bush: People Should Work Longer Hours
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:34:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Jeb Bush: People Should Work Longer Hours
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Jeb Bush: People Should Work Longer Hours  (Read 2359 times)
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2015, 07:55:20 PM »

Bush also wants to raise the retirement age to 70. He wants to work the worthless peons into an early grave.

The retirement age should be at the very least 70 years in all of the world, perhaps even closer to 75. Soon most people will live into the 100s, some scientists (although I definitely don't buy that) even think that most people in a few decades will start living for 500 years.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2015, 08:06:25 PM »

Bush also wants to raise the retirement age to 70. He wants to work the worthless peons into an early grave.

The retirement age should be at the very least 70 years in all of the world, perhaps even closer to 75. Soon most people will live into the 100s, some scientists (although I definitely don't buy that) even think that most people in a few decades will start living for 500 years.

I don't see anyone being 500 in a few decades.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2015, 08:15:04 PM »

One dude who runs a venture capital firm ≠ some scientists
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2015, 08:48:23 PM »

Huh

Studies show that poorer people live shorter lifespans than wealthier individuals. A lot of people would be lucky to live to 75, much less work until they're 75.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2015, 09:13:26 PM »

The article explicitly states that full time workers are already working 47 hr weeks on average. There is no evidence he meant to say part time workers. The point he should be talking about is reducing work week hours.

Do you work for MSNBC? Seriously, he specifically referred to the fact that we have record low labor participation right now before he made the comment.

Do you work for Fake News?  The Labor force participation rate has nothing to do with whether people work full time or part time.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2015, 10:38:43 PM »

His quote is implying that it is the fault of employees for being unwilling to work full-time, as if everyone really has a choice.

That's definitely what I got from the quote as well. I guess I'll just go to the job tree and just pick another job.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2015, 10:51:05 PM »

Regardless of what he meant, it was inarticulate and will certainly end up in an attack ad if he ever makes it to the general.

Tedd Cruz even issued a statement over it...
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2015, 08:04:56 AM »

Working more hours has nothing to do with productivity. Productivity is how productive a worker is per hour. And that has shot up, with no corresponding increase in wages for workers. So why in the world should those workers break their backs to work more hours for barely any extra pay, when they've already been contributing to the productivity end of things for decades?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies