Constitutional Amendment to Right to Bear Arms
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:06:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Constitutional Amendment to Right to Bear Arms
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Constitutional Amendment to Right to Bear Arms  (Read 6243 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2005, 05:39:52 PM »

I'm not entirely convinced that giving people the right to own any kind of explosives is a good idea, considering the existence of any hidden terrorist cells resident in Atlasia.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2005, 05:41:59 PM »

I'm not entirely convinced that giving people the right to own any kind of explosives is a good idea, considering the existence of any hidden terrorist cells resident in Atlasia.

I thought this was what we had a CIA and FBI for.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2005, 05:47:36 PM »

That's true, but to me this amendment only makes things worse for them.

BTW, I'm thinking more along the lines of a Tim McVeigh style terrorist more than any hidden al-Qaeda cells, as they're a heck of a lot harder to spot as being a terrorist, and a lot more likely to own a personal arsenal without having been asked a lot of questions first.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2005, 05:56:02 PM »

BTW, I'm thinking more along the lines of a Tim McVeigh style terrorist more than any hidden al-Qaeda cells, as they're a heck of a lot harder to spot as being a terrorist, and a lot more likely to own a personal arsenal without having been asked a lot of questions first.

Must I remind you that even without the amendment reading, low-potency explosives, and with regulations against explosives, people like McVeigh can still easily get a hold of bomb making material. You have to remember that the Oklahoma City bomb was made out of fertilizer.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2005, 05:57:26 PM »

Must I remind you that even without the amendment reading, low-potency explosives, and with regulations against explosives, people like McVeigh can still easily get a hold of bomb making material. You have to remember that the Oklahoma City bomb was made out of fertilizer.

Colin makes a good point, if people want to get explosives that will kill tons of people then there's really no stopping them.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2005, 06:13:32 PM »

My point was mainly that by allowing everybody the right to own mortars and grenades and whatnot, we're also allowing psychos to do the same.  As far as the constitutional amendment goes, fine.  But I would expect some pretty restrictive legislation to go with it, in order to prevent this.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2005, 06:36:36 PM »

My point was mainly that by allowing everybody the right to own mortars and grenades and whatnot, we're also allowing psychos to do the same.  As far as the constitutional amendment goes, fine.  But I would expect some pretty restrictive legislation to go with it, in order to prevent this.

Well it is within the Senate's powers to define what a low-potency explosive is or what is low-potency.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2005, 07:27:20 PM »

Well it is within the Senate's powers to define what a low-potency explosive is or what is low-potency.

Not anymore - Sam's amendment to this removed such power, and effectively final decision of quite what our intent was will be decided in the Courts. Which is amusing because I'm not entirely sure that anybody really knows what our intent is.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2005, 07:56:56 PM »

Not anymore - Sam's amendment to this removed such power, and effectively final decision of quite what our intent was will be decided in the Courts. Which is amusing because I'm not entirely sure that anybody really knows what our intent is.

With anything like this, intent can be manipulated with the power of a few. 

My final thought was, considering how this forum tends to be, I would rather not give Senators the final power to determine what this clause could mean (always thinking of things like the Third Senate) and would rather give it to the courts, since people are less likely to bring court cases than present legislation.

Chances are, with an amendment like this, it will keep things in the Regions.  That was also my intention in removing the clause.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2005, 07:59:58 PM »

My final thought was, considering how this forum tends to be, I would rather not give Senators the final power to determine what this clause could mean (always thinking of things like the Third Senate) and would rather give it to the courts, since people are less likely to bring court cases than present legislation.

Chances are, with an amendment like this, it will keep things in the Regions.  That was also my intention in removing the clause.

Why don't you just make the amendment explicitly say that each region has the right to define "low-potency", if that's what you want?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2005, 08:04:47 PM »

Why don't you just make the amendment explicitly say that each region has the right to define "low-potency", if that's what you want?

Because that's already sort of a given.  Since the Senate has no power in "powers of the Senate" to define these sorts of things, it will be up to the Regions to.

And the courts will be the final arbiter as to whether regional law fulfills the intent of the clause.

I am all for defining things clearly.  However, with certain things, like this amendment, the more we define things clearly, the more loopholes are given.  I would prefer to keep it rather vague.

Sorry if I shifted my own opinion on this one.  I occasionally do that.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2005, 07:40:11 PM »

Any more debate?  I'm going to call a vote in two hours if nobody else has anything to say.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2005, 07:51:33 PM »

Can someone tell me what the point of owning a "low-potency explosives" besides for blowing sh**t up, and hurting other people? Adding this is useless. I'm all for not infringing on the right to bear arms, but low potency explosives is crossing the line. Why make it easier for terriosts to own explosives no matter how "low-potency" they are. Sure I not for banning fireworks and that crap, but just because it doesnt say "low-potency explosives" in the consitution doesnt mean thats illegal. I URGE ALL SENATORS TO VOTE NAY OR CHANGE THERE VOTE TO NAY.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2005, 08:33:51 PM »

Can someone tell me what the point of owning a "low-potency explosives" besides for blowing sh**t up, and hurting other people? Adding this is useless. I'm all for not infringing on the right to bear arms, but low potency explosives is crossing the line. Why make it easier for terriosts to own explosives no matter how "low-potency" they are. Sure I not for banning fireworks and that crap, but just because it doesnt say "low-potency explosives" in the consitution doesnt mean thats illegal. I URGE ALL SENATORS TO VOTE NAY OR CHANGE THERE VOTE TO NAY.

As history tells us, terrorists can get explosives any way they want to, regardless of what "laws" we may put in the way.  The best way to prevent terrorism in this country is to go after the terrorists themselves using law enforcement and by making sure that checks on who is allowed to own these things (ie, not criminals) are enforced.

I would also like to ask the distinguished Senator to please not shout in the Senate.  We can all hear him loud and clear.  Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2005, 08:44:59 PM »

Considering as 24 hours have passed, I motion to bring this amendment to a vote.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2005, 04:33:19 AM »

With 6 votes for, 1 against, 1 abstention and two not voting, this amendment has passed.

Voting will now begin on the Amendment as a whole which reads:

The right to keep and bear fire-arms and low-potency explosives shall not be infringed.

All Senators please vote Aye/Nay/Abstain.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2005, 06:40:10 AM »

Aye
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2005, 08:40:50 AM »

Aye
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2005, 08:55:46 AM »

Aye.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2005, 02:33:51 PM »

Aye.

Sorry I've been kinda letting things slip lately; I'll try to pick up the pace and keep on top of things from now on.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2005, 03:53:14 PM »

Aye
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2005, 05:17:01 PM »

Aye

Never really solved the low potency explosives thing for me, but the amendment is a good one any how.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2005, 09:06:15 PM »

Aye.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2005, 09:07:13 PM »

This now has enough votes to pass; senators now have 24 hours to change their votes.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2005, 10:14:55 PM »

Aye for the record.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies