Is Nikki Haley going to become the go-to prospective running mate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:09:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Nikki Haley going to become the go-to prospective running mate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Nikki Haley going to become the go-to prospective running mate?  (Read 1609 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 11, 2015, 06:10:59 PM »

She's gotten a lot of good press in Republican circles for presiding over the removal of the Confederate flag from the SC Capitol.

Could she be part of a strategy to say, "Democrats can't criticize us for all that stuff they usually criticize us for when we have a brown lady who got rid of a racist flag?"
Abraham Reagan
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 2.96

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 06:30:09 PM »

I'd think her actions with the Confederate flag would make her a LESS popular running mate, and it could damage the GOP ticket's performance in the South. So no, she is not the go to running mate.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 06:39:44 PM »

I'd think her actions with the Confederate flag would make her a LESS popular running mate, and it could damage the GOP ticket's performance in the South. So no, she is not the go to running mate.

Possibly, but we'll see.  I suspect that a lot of Southerners realized that one way or another, it was going to come to this. 

Haley's real problem as a VP is her well-publicized intra-party spats with other members of the SC GOP.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 07:02:52 PM »

The only states that idolize the Confederacy are 100% Republican states anyway.

I agree Haley's the obvious running mate, assuming the GOP nominee is a white male (and not Lindsey Graham).
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 07:29:56 PM »

Doesn't she have skeletons in her closet?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 09:21:36 PM »

She's a near lock to appear on the VP short list that'll be leaked to the press.  How seriously she'll be considered, though, I don't know.  One problem with governors who have no Washington experience is that they really need to start doing their homework early, to get up to speed on national issues.  It's not like when you run for president yourself, when you can put yourself through the national media meatgrinder gradually, on your own timeline.  When you're picked as VP, you're thrown out to the lions very suddenly, and have to look like you know what you're talking about.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 10:02:03 PM »

Lots, as a matter of fact. And they're affairs, too, the worst kind of skeleton to have as a politician.

Pretty sure the above excludes her from any serious contention.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 11:08:27 PM »

A lot of it depends on who the presidential nominee is.

I think Haley would be on a shortlist for Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, or Chris Christie because she's conservative without being offensive to the political center.

eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 11:12:44 PM »

I think she has quite a few saris in her walk in closet that she doesn't want the general public to know about.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2015, 11:23:46 PM »

Rubio would be the go-to VP choice for anyone who isn't himself. Though Rubio as the nominee picking Haley would be interesting. Both minorities (Indian and Cuban, which would be a combination that no one would expect), and one from a state that's barely Southern anymore, while the other took down the Confederate flag.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 11:53:30 PM »

If she becomes a serious player in the Presidential race, which is highly unlikely to begin with, the Democrats will run adds of her opposing taking the flag down during her reelection race in 2014.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 03:46:10 AM »

No, because Sarah Palin was (and is), not only idiotic, but appears as such on the national stage. Gov. Haley has potential, but any prospective nominee is going to look at her and go "what if she turns out like Palin", or worse, "all people are going to talk about is Palin, and how they're similar" (never mind the actual differences).
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 05:28:00 PM »

Rubio is already running to be the Brown VP candidate.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 07:44:35 PM »

I think she's a strong fit for almost any Republican nominee.

As a second term Governor she's qualified without significant Washington baggage. And she'll add diversity to the ticket, without alienating the center or the base.

Walker can double down on post-Obama executive leadership.
Rand Paul, Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio would get diversity of experience.
Jeb Bush gets someone involved in current political fights.

Due to the toxic South Carolina political climate she'll have to be carefully vetted, and she'll have to be as comfortable discussing national issues as the most media-friendly Senator.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 07:18:40 AM »

The running mate isn't going to be announced until after the nomination is locked up, so I don't see how a Haley pick could realistically lose anybody any votes.
DS0816
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 08:06:17 AM »

She should not settle for running mate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies