the founder speaks: tweed's blueprint for a new Atlasian constitution.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:22:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  the founder speaks: tweed's blueprint for a new Atlasian constitution.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: the founder speaks: tweed's blueprint for a new Atlasian constitution.  (Read 590 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2015, 10:29:47 AM »

as with the USA and Nigeria, 3 branches of government: Executive, Legislative, Judicial
Executive

1 president /VP.  they run together on a ticket every 4 months (Feb., June, October).  no term limits would be my preference, but not essential so long as the number of consecutive terms allowed is at least 2
-attorney general, confirmed by Senate.  pres. can (but does not have to) appoint "emergency" AG is nobody is confirmed within 28 (twenty-eight)

---

Department of Federal Elections
   -secretary, vice secretary.  both need to be confirmed by Senate; president has THE RESPONSIBILITY to appoint an "emergency" SoFE/vice SoFE if the Senate has left the position vacant within seven (7) days of an election.     they're responsible for counting the elections.  this is the most important function of the federal bureaucracy.  they can get help from other people if people are willing but they need to tell us who helped them with what.

-All Runoff Elections held seven (7) days after each election.  all federal officeholders sworn in fourteen (14) days after initial election.

Presidential Elections

presidential elections are FPTP w/runoff between top 2 candidates if nobody gets "50% +1" of the vote.  held every February, June, October

voter eligibility

- min. 18 posts; no other restrictions without due process of law.
-auto-scrubbed from list after missing six (6) consecutive elections
-in cases of suspected fraud, the DoFE OR the Senate must get a "certification" from  a majority of the Supreme Court in order to scrub a voter.  in every single case.

----------------

5 regions.  geographically contiguous exempting AK/HI.  NO stacking of the regions with posts or jobs, elected or otherwise.  you get Max. of 2 elected officials and 1 appointed official.

-the "regional legislature" IS the citizenry of that population, if it exists at all.  draw up your own regional constitutions (if you so desire), but within these confines.
-there is no regional judicial system.  all disputes are handled by the federal Supreme Court.

----
10 Senators.

-5 elected by each region each Feb, June, October
   -these are FEDERAL elections, though, and are administered by the DoFA.  every voter eligible to vote in a federal election can vote in his regional Senate race
-5 "national senators" elected each Apr, Aug, Dec

Senatoral Elections

a. Regional Senators run in FPTP.  no runoff.  elected each Feb, June, October downballot from the President.
b. National Senators run in FPTP w/runoff between top two candidates in case of no "40% +1" of the vote.

Supreme Court

-three (3) members, ascending to five between October 1 2015 and Dec 31 2015.
-members of the SC must be registered voters.  if a Justice should lose his voter eligibility for more than seven (7) days, he will be removed from the Court and the vacancy filled forthwith.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 09:53:04 PM »

Well, it would certainly be massive improvement over what we have now.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 10:10:44 PM »

If I'm understanding correctly here, universal legislative chambers are proposed for the regions? I'm sure I'm not the only one that remembers how little activity and engagement these caused in the MW & PA. Everything ebbs and flows for sure, but those seemed to be the worst for activity on a broad scale. You need some offices to make people care, and for that, the number of regions has to decline.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 11:05:47 PM »

If I'm understanding correctly here, universal legislative chambers are proposed for the regions? I'm sure I'm not the only one that remembers how little activity and engagement these caused in the MW & PA. Everything ebbs and flows for sure, but those seemed to be the worst for activity on a broad scale. You need some offices to make people care, and for that, the number of regions has to decline.

I completely agree. When the Pacific had a universal legislature before the Council was first introduced, it had literally not been posted in for like half of a year, if not longer.

Campaigning for office, which some people have argued is the key for the game, creates incentive (do a good job and you'll get reelected, or can run for higher office) that simply doesn't exist in universal legislatures.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 10:35:11 AM »

Tweed can we get another video?
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 03:16:38 PM »

I think we need 3 regions, not still 5.

My ideal plan:
- 3 regions with Governor and 3 Legislators
- 6 Senators (2 per region)
- 9/11 Representatives (Districts or At-Large)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 08:58:12 PM »

The universal legislature in the Pacific was far more active than the council is now.  Are you guys joking?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 09:03:42 PM »

I'm actually rather on board with this.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 10:46:24 PM »

I'd much rather see a reduction in the number of Regions. This would effect both a reduction in the number of offices (the main selling point of this plan) while still having elected bodies dedicated to drafting and debating legislation at the Regional level (the main selling point of the status quo).
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 11:23:30 PM »

I'd much rather see a reduction in the number of Regions. This would effect both a reduction in the number of offices (the main selling point of this plan) while still having elected bodies dedicated to drafting and debating legislation at the Regional level (the main selling point of the status quo).
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 12:04:34 AM »

Six elections is quite a long time no?

Posting from my phone and can't write much right now, but how does a post like this one go completely without comment at a time when calling for a constitutional convention had become the standard moderate-to-conservative position on the game?

It went without comment for a day and then subsequent to your posting, incurred nothing but criticism.

There are a lot of things I like. FPTP would certainly be a different. I do worry about the lack of legislatures. Some regions with a long history of legislatures have done rather well and such has formed a breeding ground for people who would go on to become power players.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 04:51:26 PM »

This plan is as boring and uninspiring as Tweed himself.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies