Future of the Ulster Unionist Party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:22:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Future of the Ulster Unionist Party
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Future of the Ulster Unionist Party  (Read 4092 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2005, 04:40:39 PM »

Is the party dead?  What do you guys think?  I'm not shedding any tears for the party of Stormont mind you.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 05:43:30 PM »

Too bad it wasn't the DUP.

I like the UUP, and I think nationalists should be a bit worried that the unionists have gone for DUP instead of UUP.
M

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 07:01:37 PM »

If not dead, nearly so. What would happen if the UUP merged with the Tories and the SDLP with Labour, LibDems try to begin organizing a presence in NI. Sinn Fein and DUP would be somewhat analogous to PC and the SNP except much stronger in the home region and mutually antagonistic, of course. Could such a scenario establish a more "normal" NI political structure within the next two cycles?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 07:04:27 PM »

What would happen if the UUP merged with the Tories and the SDLP with Labour, LibDems try to begin organizing a presence in NI.
I would note that it might cause some backlash if one of the main parties chose to associate with a nationalist party such as the SDLP.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 09:31:24 PM »

This is quite a shame. I most certainly wouldn't like them as they're tied to the Tories but I would hate for the only party for Protestants like me there to be that disgusting DUP.

Easy solution for Northern Ireland: Gerry Adams and Ian Paisley hit each other in a car crash. Those two sh**theads are both utterly disgusting worthless excuses for human beings.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 09:53:44 PM »

This is quite a shame. I most certainly wouldn't like them as they're tied to the Tories but I would hate for the only party for Protestants like me there to be that disgusting DUP.

Easy solution for Northern Ireland: Gerry Adams and Ian Paisley hit each other in a car crash. Those two sh**theads are both utterly disgusting worthless excuses for human beings.

They're not really tied to the Tories...not really affliated...though they do have similar ideological goals...although yeah, they helped keep Major's government afloat.

maybe the SDLP and UUP in the future could work together at some sort of "Sensible NI Citizen" Tactical Voting plan.

Because if SF and DUP are the big parties, its never gonna happen.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 11:35:50 PM »

Can someone briefly describe what the Northern Irish parties stand for?  (Other than Sinn Fein)  I assume the two "unionist" parties are Protestant, but what is the difference b/w them?
Banana Republic
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 11:59:27 PM »

Can someone briefly describe what the Northern Irish parties stand for?  (Other than Sinn Fein)  I assume the two "unionist" parties are Protestant, but what is the difference b/w them?

DUP=Hardline Unionist
UUP=Moderate Unionist
Alliance= All religion liberal party
SDLP= Traditionally nationalist, basically a Catholic unionist party now
SF= Hardline Republican
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 03:16:07 AM »

I would note that it might cause some backlash if one of the main parties chose to associate with a nationalist party such as the SDLP.

Labour is very friendly with the SDLP, always has been. Not as much as when McNamara was Shadow NI Secretary though.
Rural Radical
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 05:35:24 AM »

How would they vote if they had the 3 party uk system. Because Most of the Dup/SF voters would be working class labour voters. whilst UUP would be Tory whilst Sdlp would be LibDem/Labour.

In all I think Most of the seats would be won by Labour as even the rural areas would be winnable to non tories as they are in Scotland and Wales

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 05:40:51 AM »

How would they vote if they had the 3 party uk system. Because Most of the Dup/SF voters would be working class labour voters. whilst UUP would be Tory whilst Sdlp would be LibDem/Labour.

Thank you for giving me something to waste my time on now the election is over Smiley
I'll have a look over this probably tomorrow.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And Northern England, especially as a lot of rural seats in NI once had large textile industries (West Tyrone would almost certainly be a safe Labour seat for example).
Rural Radical
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2005, 05:49:37 AM »

Belfast North : safe Lab
Belfast West : Very Safe Lab
Belfast East : Very Safe Lab
Belfast South : NormallY lAB/lIB dEM Marginal. This time Lib Dem Gain
Foyle : Safe Lab
Newry & Armagh : Safe Lab
Soth Antrim : Lab

IMO
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2005, 11:49:05 AM »

DUP=Hardline Unionist
UUP=Moderate Unionist
SF= Hardline Republican

If SDLP are basically unionist now, even if Catholic unionist, I could definately vote for them,  and would definatley take them over the DUP. There is however no condition under which I'd vote for the insane DUP or terrorist trash like Sinn Fein.

The peace process in NI would work out much better if the IRA blew up Paisley and the UVF took out Adams.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2005, 12:13:37 PM »

In all I think Most of the seats would be won by Labour as even the rural areas would be winnable to non tories as they are in Scotland and Wales
My guess:
South Belfast: Lab since 97, possibly LD since 05
Strangford: Lab since 97
Down N: Tory
all others: Lab since at least 45.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2005, 01:39:51 AM »

DUP=Hardline Unionist
UUP=Moderate Unionist
SF= Hardline Republican

If SDLP are basically unionist now, even if Catholic unionist, I could definately vote for them,  and would definatley take them over the DUP. There is however no condition under which I'd vote for the insane DUP or terrorist trash like Sinn Fein.

The peace process in NI would work out much better if the IRA blew up Paisley and the UVF took out Adams.

SDLP are legalistic nationalist in the vein of O'Connell, Parnell, and by extension even Arthur Griffith or Michael Collins after the treaty.

As for the UVF killing Adams they tried and pumped quite a few bullets into him but they failed. 
M

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2005, 03:17:05 AM »

I tend to think many Unionists would vote Tory and hang any costs just because they're seen as the most "patriotic" and "traditional" party. As Gibraltar would surely do if it could vote for parliament.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2005, 03:35:37 AM »

I tend to think many Unionists would vote Tory and hang any costs just because they're seen as the most "patriotic" and "traditional" party. As Gibraltar would surely do if it could vote for parliament.

On a purely economic level, Labour would win in a landslide among both Catholics and Protestants. 

An Ulster Unionist P. is a D.U.P. voter with a better suit, some land and a better accent.  I love broad generalizations:)
M

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2005, 03:37:26 AM »

On a purely economic level, Labour would win in a landslide among both Catholics and Protestants. 

An Ulster Unionist P. is a D.U.P. voter with a better suit, some land and a better accent.  I love broad generalizations:)

Like that voting is based on pure economics? So did Marx.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2005, 03:42:22 AM »

Like that voting is based on pure economics? So did Marx.

Well we were extending Mainland British political parties to the North (which is ridiculous) and I decided to make an analysis in a vacuum.  I am well aware of the extenuating political realities in the North of Ireland.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2005, 03:45:29 AM »

It's ridiculous, but fun at the same time Smiley
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2005, 03:54:43 AM »

It's ridiculous, but fun at the same time Smiley

I agree;) and Labour would have an increased majority for sure.
I can't fathom some git from Sandy Row voting for a Tory Yar <<<is that a correct spelling for that pejorative- my London friends used to refer to the "Upper Class" as the Yars
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2005, 07:54:23 AM »

My guess:
South Belfast: Lab since 97, possibly LD since 05
Strangford: Lab since 97
Down N: Tory
all others: Lab since at least 45.
Lagan Valley, Upper Bann, Antrim S might be marginal pre-97.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2005, 01:41:49 PM »

Hermon is likely to run for leader (BBC)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2005, 07:08:06 PM »

I wish the SDLP, Alliance, and UUP would get fed up with the extremists dominance and form some sort of united party.   (Yes, I realize that would probably give all 3 parties the same vote as the Alliance... but sheesh, this is getting ridiculous)   That, and they could use the name "ReUnion", with elements of Republicanism and Unionism Smiley
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2005, 09:46:04 AM »

Hermon is likely to run for leader (BBC)

Since she's there only Westminster MP, she ought to be Leader

I can't say I can shed any tears for the demise of the UUP. Too closely associated with the Conservative Party for my liking

Being a unionist, I'd have had little option but not to vote for the DUP

I'm happy the SDLP won Belfast South though

Dave
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies