What are some of your favorite cuisines?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:35:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What are some of your favorite cuisines?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What are some of your favorite cuisines?  (Read 954 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2015, 10:34:12 PM »

My favorite is probably either Thai or Vietnamese.  Italian and Greek are very good too, and Korean was surprisingly good the couple times that I've had it.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 09:58:47 AM »

I like Mexican food for breakfast.  Lots of beans smothered in salsa verde de aguacate and grilled habaneros, kitchen-sink omelet also smothered in salsas verdes, and watermelon juice or coconut water. 

For lunch I prefer sandwiches of my own making, or anything vietnamese and soupy, such as pho tai with tripe, or sometimes Bahn Mi.

For Dinner anything in China, or chinese food of our own making if we're in the US. 

Once in a month or so I also enjoy northern Indian food.  I've tried all three all-you-can-eat Indian buffet places in Lancaster and I like them all.

Once in a very long while I like mediterranean fare such as hummus and tahini or gyro with tsatziki sauce. 

About twice a year I get a craving for fast-food fried potatoes, like those served at Burger King, with copious amounts of black pepper and mayonnaise, or ketchup if mayonnaise isn't available.  Mustard will also work in a pinch.  On those occasions I also order a whopper. 

Korean food is okay, but at restaurants it is generally overpriced.  There used to be an all you can eat Korean buffet on Commonwealth avenue in Boston that I'd visit about once a month in grad school.  It had nine kinds of Kim Chi.  We still buy the Korean noodles at the chinese store about twice a month.  I like to empty a can of sardines or mackerel into them just before I take them off the stove. 

We also fire up the grill from time to time.  Usually I soak a new york strip in worcestershire, pick-a-peppa, and Merlinda's XXXXTra reserve sauce and grill it about five minutes on each side, and we put some chicken wings soaked in "duck sauce" and some chicken legs soaked in barbeque sauce, as well as a few skewers of peeled shrimp coated in garlic, cumin, cayenne, and salt.  Shrimp cooks very quickly on the grill and makes a nice finger food while I'm waiting for the other meats.

Those are all once in a while things, though.  On a daily basis it's beans for breakfast, light fare for lunch, and meats and vegetables sauteed in garlic, green onion and soy sauce for dinner.  With short grain rice, of course, and eaten with sticks. 

I'm not really picky about food.  Pretty much any cuisine is good so long as I have copious alcohol to wash it down.  I almost always take red wine with my evening meal, and in the summers white wine with my lunch, although I've been having margarita with my lunch every day lately.  (two parts tequila, one part Cointreau, one part fresh-squeezed lime juice.  rocks.  sea salt on the rim.  I'm just about out of limes and I might have to resort to the one in the green plastic bottle.  It's good to be home where I can get a decent margarita.  We were in mexico for a week and they all use that horrid "margarita mix" liquid.  It's like liquid sugar.  a margarita should never involve "margarita mix.")  In the fall and spring I limit my alcohol intake to 4pm and later.  Red wine till the bottle is empty, followed by cognac or, infrequently, dirty vodka martinis till bedtime.  Usually I leave a bit in the cup just before lights out so I can have a hair of the dog with my morning coffee and beans.  Breakfast of champions.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 11:56:20 AM »

I love Italian cuisine.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 12:23:10 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2015, 12:27:57 PM by L.D. Smith, Bay Area Conservadem »

The edible kind.

After that, mood is key to what's best. Some day's get me some Chinese, others, Italian, and so on and so on.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 12:26:37 PM »

I'm not really picky about food.  Pretty much any cuisine is good

^^
if i had to choose, probably thai and turkish
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 01:42:38 PM »

Italian (normal, sane, etc.)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 03:16:09 PM »

Damnit this was the perfect post until that heresy.  If a martini isn't made with gin and vermouth, it isn't a martini. 

I don't know if it's the best cuisine but Vietnamese is definitely one of my favorites and needs more exposure than it has at the moment.  In general, Latin America/the Mediterranean/Southeast Asia tend to be the tastiest parts of the world, and Eastern Europe/Sub-Saharan Africa the most mediocre.  But there's good stuff everywhere.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 03:58:32 PM »

Mediterranean, seafood (cooked), Italian, and general greens, nuts, etc. That's pretty much my diet anyway. Last time I went to a restaurant for dinner I ordered a salmon salad, and it was amazing. It was a huge salad with cranberries and pine nuts and all kinds of things with a salmon fillet, grilled well, on top. Some sort of vinaigrette dressing. I mean that's food heaven.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 06:38:03 PM »

Lebanese, Cajun, Mexican
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 08:56:32 PM »

Damnit this was the perfect post until that heresy.  If a martini isn't made with gin and vermouth, it isn't a martini. 

haha.  Blame it on grumps.  I used to drink 'em normal till he met with me at a bar in Ephrata on his way to one of those top-secret boy's club meetings with Napoleon Dynamite.  After I tried it dirty, and with vodka, I never looked back.  Give it a go sometime. 

traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 11:37:08 AM »

haha.  Blame it on grumps.  I used to drink 'em normal till he met with me at a bar in Ephrata on his way to one of those top-secret boy's club meetings with Napoleon Dynamite.  After I tried it dirty, and with vodka, I never looked back.  Give it a go sometime. 

Dirty I'm fine with, it's the vodka that's the problem.  Do you make them Churchill-level dry or is there actual vermouth flavor in there?
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 12:15:19 PM »

Indian/Pakistani, Lebanese, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, and Thai.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 03:27:59 PM »

Dirty I'm fine with, it's the vodka that's the problem.  Do you make them Churchill-level dry or is there actual vermouth flavor in there?

about a spoonful of vermouth and a spoonful of olive juice.  Mostly vodka.  I also put a couple of olives in the glass. 

Tonight it's my take on Mao Po Tou Fu.  Sort of like Mao Po, but with italian sausage instead of ground pork.  Sautée lots of garlic and green onion in hot oil, then drop in thin-sliced carrot, white onions, bell pepper, mushroom, and jalapeño and let that cook a few minutes.  Actually, the cayennes in my garden are getting ripe so I used a couple of those as well.  Then I take the big block medium bean curd and cut up about sixteen ounces into cubes.  I'll throw that in, along with previously-boiled and sliced sausages.  After the onions clarify, I add dry cayenne pepper, cumin, and a little five spice powder.  If I have a package of Mao Po sauce I use that.  Tonight I don't, so I'll just make a mixture of tapioca starch, water, and soy sauce and stir it in.  Let that simmer covered for another five minutes.  By then the rice is ready as well.  I have a spanish Monastrell in the basement to pair with it.  I'll crack that open in a few minutes and drink as I cook. 

The old lady is taking the boy shopping so I'm doing the cooking.  They should be back by around 5:30 or so.  I've boiled and cooled the sausages and started the rice.  I should probably start cutting the garlic and green onion.

This is very country-style chinese food with a slight mexican accent.  That's normally the sort of stuff we eat every day.  I think I was probably chinese in a previous life, and mexican in one before that.  I must also have been Indian at some point, otherwise I wouldn't have had previous lives.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 03:30:07 PM »

Italian and Greek are my favorites.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 11:08:58 PM »

Italian and Japanese (normal for my ethnic background and academic interests). Also Chinese, Mexican, and sometimes Vietnamese or Indian.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 08:36:05 PM »

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2015, 08:44:01 PM »

Thai, Mexican, Middle Eastern, Caribbean, German... I ate at way too many restaurants last year. Tongue
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2015, 12:12:52 PM »

Japanese, followed closely by Mexican.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: