Future of the Ulster Unionist Party (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:22:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Future of the Ulster Unionist Party (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Future of the Ulster Unionist Party  (Read 4121 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: May 07, 2005, 03:16:07 AM »

I would note that it might cause some backlash if one of the main parties chose to associate with a nationalist party such as the SDLP.

Labour is very friendly with the SDLP, always has been. Not as much as when McNamara was Shadow NI Secretary though.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 05:40:51 AM »

How would they vote if they had the 3 party uk system. Because Most of the Dup/SF voters would be working class labour voters. whilst UUP would be Tory whilst Sdlp would be LibDem/Labour.

Thank you for giving me something to waste my time on now the election is over Smiley
I'll have a look over this probably tomorrow.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And Northern England, especially as a lot of rural seats in NI once had large textile industries (West Tyrone would almost certainly be a safe Labour seat for example).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 03:45:29 AM »

It's ridiculous, but fun at the same time Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 01:41:49 PM »

Hermon is likely to run for leader (BBC)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 01:16:41 PM »

There's been some interesting council results; Lord Maginnis has lost his seat on Dungannon DC (which he'd held for 20 years) and the APNI have ousted a Shinner in the ward where Robert McCartney was murdered.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 09:25:26 AM »

Former Mayor of Derry, Gerry O'hEara (SF) has lost his seat on Derry City Council
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 08:17:19 AM »

First off, welcome to the forum. I'm the moderator of the International Elections board and I generally like to keep things fairly calm and reasonably civil.
You from Northern Ireland then?

i especially think the comments about the dup are completely out of order. they refuse to take part in a government with known terrorists that have not decomissioned their weapons.

Well the IRA have decommisioned their weapons now (althought to be fair they hadn't at the time of the elections) so that line of arguement is no longer relavent.

The Omagh bombings were commited by a group of lunatics who had broken away from the IRA over the ceasefire, the bombings were not commited by the IRA itself.

Far too many people were killed by both sides during the troubles. Those days are over now (which is a great thing).

I would say that there has been clear evidence for decommisioning (unless a former Canadian General and a respected Methodist Minister are somehow on the IRA's payroll) and that the DUP's complaints have more to do with electoral politics than anything else, but you are of course entitled to your own opinion.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies