Future of the Ulster Unionist Party (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:17:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Future of the Ulster Unionist Party (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Future of the Ulster Unionist Party  (Read 4123 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« on: May 06, 2005, 04:40:39 PM »

Is the party dead?  What do you guys think?  I'm not shedding any tears for the party of Stormont mind you.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 01:39:51 AM »

Can someone briefly describe what the Northern Irish parties stand for?  (Other than Sinn Fein)  I assume the two "unionist" parties are Protestant, but what is the difference b/w them?

DUP=Hardline Unionist
UUP=Moderate Unionist
Alliance= All religion liberal party
SDLP= Traditionally nationalist, basically a Catholic unionist party now
SF= Hardline Republican

If SDLP are basically unionist now, even if Catholic unionist, I could definately vote for them,  and would definatley take them over the DUP. There is however no condition under which I'd vote for the insane DUP or terrorist trash like Sinn Fein.

The peace process in NI would work out much better if the IRA blew up Paisley and the UVF took out Adams.

SDLP are legalistic nationalist in the vein of O'Connell, Parnell, and by extension even Arthur Griffith or Michael Collins after the treaty.

As for the UVF killing Adams they tried and pumped quite a few bullets into him but they failed. 
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 03:35:37 AM »

I tend to think many Unionists would vote Tory and hang any costs just because they're seen as the most "patriotic" and "traditional" party. As Gibraltar would surely do if it could vote for parliament.

On a purely economic level, Labour would win in a landslide among both Catholics and Protestants. 

An Ulster Unionist P. is a D.U.P. voter with a better suit, some land and a better accent.  I love broad generalizations:)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 03:42:22 AM »

I tend to think many Unionists would vote Tory and hang any costs just because they're seen as the most "patriotic" and "traditional" party. As Gibraltar would surely do if it could vote for parliament.

On a purely economic level, Labour would win in a landslide among both Catholics and Protestants. 

An Ulster Unionist P. is a D.U.P. voter with a better suit, some land and a better accent.  I love broad generalizations:)

Like that voting is based on pure economics? So did Marx.

Well we were extending Mainland British political parties to the North (which is ridiculous) and I decided to make an analysis in a vacuum.  I am well aware of the extenuating political realities in the North of Ireland.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 03:54:43 AM »

It's ridiculous, but fun at the same time Smiley

I agree;) and Labour would have an increased majority for sure.
I can't fathom some git from Sandy Row voting for a Tory Yar <<<is that a correct spelling for that pejorative- my London friends used to refer to the "Upper Class" as the Yars
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 04:16:58 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2005, 04:21:56 PM by patrick1 »

Is it me or does Alliance appear to be more of the Catholic vote than in years past?  Or at  least a bigger percentage Catholic v Protestant breakdown.

I suppose it is because Catholics have many of the leadership positions in the party.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 07:57:48 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2005, 07:59:21 PM by patrick1 »

Paisley is represented in the media as a devil

Indeed, it is Ian Paisley who represents everybody else as a devil, especially Popes:

"I refuse you as Christ's enemy and Antichrist with all your false doctrine." -- To Pope John Paul II on a visit to the EU Parliament

What did the Pope answered?

World
World Notes RELIGION

Time Mag archive:

Oct. 24, 1988
Pope John Paul II had just begun his address to the European Parliament in Strasbourg last week when Northern Ireland's hard-line Protestant leader the Rev. Ian Paisley stood up and unfurled a red placard that read POPE JOHN PAUL II ANTICHRIST. In case that was not clear enough, Paisley roared, "Antichrist! I renounce you and all your cults and creeds." The Pope gave a slight, bemused smile while members of the Parliament shouted Paisley down. A brief scuffle broke out as they dragged him from the chamber.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies