reconciling Christianity and support for "right to die"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:56:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  reconciling Christianity and support for "right to die"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: reconciling Christianity and support for "right to die"  (Read 1584 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2015, 12:21:09 PM »

could the winning ticket be, ironically (for me personally at least), an unabashed theological argument from free will?  that God endows all of us with free will that does not end at the point of actively choosing death if that's what we choose to do?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 10:02:46 PM »

No. Free will doesn't mean we ought to support or oppose any particular action, only that we can choose it.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 10:13:13 PM »

Catholic moral teaching and theology makes a big distinction between right to die and euthanasia, so it is good not to conflate the two and separate them out. It in many ways comes down to what is "natural" and extraordinary means. Below is more context.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Ann_Quinlan
An old theology and Latin teacher of mine was involved in a frequently cited NY case
http://www.nytimes.com/1981/04/03/nyregion/right-to-die-decision-news-analysis.html?pagewanted=1
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 07:50:54 AM »

No. Free will doesn't mean we ought to support or oppose any particular action, only that we can choose it.

right -- so the classic, "I personally oppose you euthanizing yourself, but you have the choice and I won't attempt to put the state apparatus in your way here."  that's all I'm looking for
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 07:51:38 AM »

Catholic moral teaching and theology makes a big distinction between right to die and euthanasia, so it is good not to conflate the two and separate them out.

I'd just assume not let the Roman Catholic Church control my vocabulary on this issue here.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 05:41:47 PM »

right -- so the classic, "I personally oppose you euthanizing yourself, but you have the choice and I won't attempt to put the state apparatus in your way here."  that's all I'm looking for

That doesn't really match up with your title/OP. Are you trying to make a Christian argument for the state to ignore euthanasia or are you making a theological argument about euthanasia itself?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 05:53:29 PM »

Catholic moral teaching and theology makes a big distinction between right to die and euthanasia, so it is good not to conflate the two and separate them out.

I'd just assume not let the Roman Catholic Church control my vocabulary on this issue here.

If we are all using a different words and meanings, your argument will have no effect. Well perhaps it will to yourself, which may be your audience anyway.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 06:32:44 PM »

Free will also doesn't mean something should or shouldn't be legal, only that you can choose to do it or not, regardless of what the law says or whether there are temporal consequences with the government.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 01:35:05 AM »

right -- so the classic, "I personally oppose you euthanizing yourself, but you have the choice and I won't attempt to put the state apparatus in your way here."  that's all I'm looking for

That doesn't really match up with your title/OP. Are you trying to make a Christian argument for the state to ignore euthanasia or are you making a theological argument about euthanasia itself?

a theological argument that "frees up" the Christian towards new attitudes about the (ultimately technologically-driven) changes in the end of life process.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 01:36:39 AM »

If we are all using a different words and meanings, your argument will have no effect. Well perhaps it will to yourself, which may be your audience anyway.

"right to die" is a phrase of its own.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_die

Catholic and other religious opposition is of course mentioned, if not explored.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 01:37:10 AM »

right -- so the classic, "I personally oppose you euthanizing yourself, but you have the choice and I won't attempt to put the state apparatus in your way here."  that's all I'm looking for

a theological argument that "frees up" the Christian towards new attitudes about the (ultimately technologically-driven) changes in the end of life process.

The idea that the Christian should be 'freed up' presupposes an ethical argument that you haven't actually made.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 04:35:12 PM »

The idea that the Christian should be 'freed up' presupposes an ethical argument that you haven't actually made.

I just see it as presupposing the truth, that most Christians have a kneejerk reaction against euthanasia.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies