Do you support the abolition of slavery?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:25:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Do you support the abolition of slavery?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Do you support the abolition of slavery?  (Read 3530 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 14, 2015, 05:58:41 AM »

What do you think about slavery abolition? Is this good or bad for the country? On the one hand it is a big step towards universal freedom and equality. But on the other hand there are many are many people unhappy with this law (including me), and it's not like they are going to change their opinion. It seems to me it would be better to leave it as is just not to increase tensions in society. Personally I am in favor of the Missouri Compromise since the south should have their traditions respected forever.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 06:26:13 AM »

no, i am shocked and outraged that these so-called abolitionists want to overturn god's law.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 06:57:40 AM »

No.  I think that there should be a constitutional amendment making slavery legal everywhere.  Back in 1804 there were lots of people who supported this, but nobody seems to anymore.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 08:19:51 AM »

slaves are just like normal people? oh, try telling society that.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 09:11:16 AM »

PlantationClassMS: Speaking as a black, I don't get why the free ones have to show off just how free they are. I'm perfectly content in my current situation. AND DON'T YOU DARE PERSECUTE ME FOR MY BELIEFS!
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 10:13:27 AM »

No, because I need my freedom of religion.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 11:02:41 AM »

i personally think it should be a state's right to decide and the overreaching federal government should get out of the way of people's personal freedom to decide to have slaves.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 11:15:25 AM »

I'm against slavery, but indentured servitude would be a fair compromise.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 11:23:13 AM »

no, i am shocked and outraged that these so-called abolitionists want to overturn god's law.

I get this is a joke thread, but let's not let it go unmentioned that the abolitionist movement was deeply rooted in religious movements like the Second Great Awakening; it's not like gay marriage where the opponents, across the board, tended to be more religious than the proponents.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 11:30:56 AM »

Interesting attempt at trolling.

The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 11:31:55 AM »

Notably, comparing 2 gay people not being allowed to marry to the literal enslavement of a human being is belittling to the people who were once owned as property....
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 11:45:54 AM »

I was more amused at the banality of somebody saying it represented "universal freedom and equality", but saying no because of the opposition of "some" people.

I know, yes, technically I am guilty of the worst crime ever: the False Equivalence!!!!
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 04:23:55 PM »

If we free blacks then they'll want other things.  WHAT'S NEXT?!  MIXED BREEDING?  DESEGREGATION?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 04:43:39 PM »

We need to accept the abolition, but we also need to protect the rights of those who want to own slaves. It is a strongly held traditional belief and I'm tired of the PC police attacking people just because their pizza place has some slaves.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 06:18:28 PM »

No. Both the abolitionists and pro slavery demagogues are wrong on this issue.They are dividing and destroying the country with their rhetoric. We need a mindful moderate approach that respects the landowners and the farmers in the territories. We must respect tradition but ensure that it does not spread beyond the existing slave states in the south. I support banning slavery in the territories, but allowing the South to maintain their traditions and way of life.

(Moderate hero circa 1860)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 07:31:38 PM »

If you're opposed to slavery, don't buy a slave! The free market will sort it out.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 09:42:13 PM »

If you're opposed to slavery, don't buy a slave! The free market will sort it out.

Lol, slavery was *literally* antithetical to the free market and part of the reason European immigrants in the North favored Democrats is because they were skeptical of Republican promises that any man - in a free labor economy - could rise to the top through hard work alone.

I know you're kidding, but to act like the defenders of slavery used anything close to a love of the free market to defend that institution is just simply unfair and disingenuous to those who praise the free market today, which is clearly the comparison you're drawing.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 11:28:26 PM »

There are more slaves today than in 1865, but doing something about that would be hard (and certainly something Crabby and his moron brothers wouldn't be involved in anyway).  I wonder what those slaves think of this idiotic comparison.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 11:41:51 PM »

I am pro SSM but comparing it to the abolition of slavery is not only disgusting but also childish.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 02:42:20 AM »

What really gets me is when free men flaunt it everywhere I go. The free mafia's agenda is now the promotion of freedom over God's will of traditional chattel slavery. Black fraudum is an affront to what it means to be a Christian in this country, and it is absurd that I would be trodden on for simply expressing my belief.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 03:33:49 AM »

There are more slaves today than in 1865, but doing something about that would be hard (and certainly something Crabby and his moron brothers wouldn't be involved in anyway).  I wonder what those slaves think of this idiotic comparison.

Lol
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 03:36:25 AM »

The true moderate hero position is that slaves should count more like 1/2 rather than as 3/5th of a person. That way the influence of the slave states can be slightly weakened. However, we must not interfere with the freedom of the slave states to have slavery.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2015, 08:24:49 AM »

I am pro SSM but comparing it to the abolition of slavery is not only disgusting but also childish.

The comparison is about it being a non issue.  Nobody actually thinks that banning SSM is equivalent to slavery (or at least I hope not).
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2015, 10:05:46 AM »

Leave
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2015, 12:09:58 PM »

PlantationClassMS: Speaking as a black, I don't get why the free ones have to show off just how free they are. I'm perfectly content in my current situation. AND DON'T YOU DARE PERSECUTE ME FOR MY BELIEFS!

lmaoo yass
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies