Do you support the abolition of slavery?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:24:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Do you support the abolition of slavery?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Do you support the abolition of slavery?  (Read 3536 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2015, 01:23:56 PM »

Interesting, alot of the blks in Hispanola, which alot of ancestors come from, Creole, still live in extreme slave like conditions or in poverty.

But, it should never be allowed in any circumstance.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 05:36:01 PM »

Yes, because all men are born equal.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2015, 07:14:28 AM »

If you're opposed to slavery, don't buy a slave! The free market will sort it out.

I hate to be mean, but you should really think about stuff for a second before you post, because slavery is LITERALLY THE OPPOSITE OF A FREE MARKET.

But yeah, the comparisons in this thread are hilarious and I enjoyed reading them, no matter how far fetched they are.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2015, 09:54:49 PM »

If you're opposed to slavery, don't buy a slave! The free market will sort it out.

I hate to be mean, but you should really think about stuff for a second before you post, because slavery is LITERALLY THE OPPOSITE OF A FREE MARKET.

But yeah, the comparisons in this thread are hilarious and I enjoyed reading them, no matter how far fetched they are.

Lol, slavery was *literally* antithetical to the free market and part of the reason European immigrants in the North favored Democrats is because they were skeptical of Republican promises that any man - in a free labor economy - could rise to the top through hard work alone.

I know you're kidding, but to act like the defenders of slavery used anything close to a love of the free market to defend that institution is just simply unfair and disingenuous to those who praise the free market today, which is clearly the comparison you're drawing.

Yes, I know. I was being ironic, as were most others on this thread.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2015, 01:38:39 AM »

Also, just for clarification, I meant that post to make fun of gay marriage supporters and pro-choicers as well as free-marketers, all groups which I consider myself to be a part of to a certain extent, and none of which I think would condone slavery.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2015, 11:27:48 AM »

As a Yankee Republican, slavery is not only an economic bad, it is also a moral wrong.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2015, 11:36:04 AM »
« Edited: July 26, 2015, 12:13:19 PM by Torie »

Only if the slave owners are fairly compensated for their human chattel. Otherwise it would be government theft, and arguably Unconstitutional, as as uncompensated government taking. The analogy is with zoning. You can downzone and reduce the value of a property, but can't zone down to where the property has no value at all, because next to nothing can be done with it with any economic value. And freeing the slaves would be equivalent to such a Draconian downzoning. But bearing this analogy in mind, perhaps it would be Constitutional to free slaves who reach a certain age, say 55 or something.

But the downside of slave freedom at age 55, is that at that point, it might be hard for them at such an advanced age, where their ability to work in the fields is so limited, to earn a gainful living, and they would either starve to death, or be a tax burden on the state. And the slave owners might be incentivized to mistreat them more say, when they reach the age of 50, to extract the max economic value from them as they can, over the short term, rather than focusing on the longer term economic life span of the slave, which would incentivize better slave treatment, i.e, to better maintain the health of their chattel.

Darn this is complicated. Let me think about this some more.  I'll get back to you.

Doesn't this thread belong on the Individual Politics board?  Tongue
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2015, 01:33:03 PM »

As a Yankee Republican, slavery is not only an economic bad, it is also a moral wrong.

woah, controversial opinion.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2015, 01:13:30 AM »

Can we afford to get rid of slavery?  Think of how many places would go out of business if they actually had to PAY their farmhands!   
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2015, 09:47:35 AM »

Yeah because being forced to work to not starve totally isn't slavery Roll Eyes
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2015, 06:45:18 PM »

Yeah because being forced to work to not starve totally isn't slavery Roll Eyes
Will the cotton pick itself? Or the corn for that matter?
Angel of Death
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2015, 08:02:55 PM »

No. Both the abolitionists and pro slavery demagogues are wrong on this issue.They are dividing and destroying the country with their rhetoric. We need a mindful moderate approach that respects the landowners and the farmers in the territories. We must respect tradition but ensure that it does not spread beyond the existing slave states in the south. I support banning slavery in the territories, but allowing the South to maintain their traditions and way of life.

(Moderate hero circa 1860)

Opposition to the expansion of slavery into new territories was actually the official position of the Republican Party at the time and was itself incendiary enough to spark the Civil War. The "moderate" position would be the one espoused by the Northern Democrats, namely to have the people of each territory decide for themselves whether to allow slavery or not.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2015, 09:03:19 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2015, 09:05:23 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

We must pass a law that anglos can't own negros. They are simply too different to interact.

Anglos must own Irish slaves who in turn own negro slaves. The Irish slave trade must be expanded.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies