North Carolina Yankee killed Atlasia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:13:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  North Carolina Yankee killed Atlasia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: North Carolina Yankee killed Atlasia  (Read 2621 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2015, 07:10:06 PM »

Also that last one should be 16 because the Wiki doesn't include the Healthcare law in the statute's page.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2015, 07:24:52 PM »

That proves the point, doesn't it? When you're criticized for obsessive legalism your recourse is to point at laws, ignoring that that was never the issue.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2015, 07:46:22 PM »

That proves the point, doesn't it? When you're criticized for obsessive legalism your recourse is to point at laws, ignoring that that was never the issue.

I thought you were referring to procedural criticism, now you say it is policy? The Senate's job is to debate and pass laws. A lot of those bills had a lot of debate, especially in the Era of Good Feelings. There was passionate disgreement, a lot of close votes and in spite of that even divide in the Senate, we got a lot done.

Precisely how the hell much interest could a Senate have if it only passed one bill? Roll Eyes
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2015, 09:24:49 PM »

You're only picking out part of his defense and saying it's meaningless. You said nothing about his multi-paragraph post right before that. I've noticed that lots of people do that (pick out the weakest part of a multi-point argument and pretend like that invalidates the whole thing) and it's annoying.

And you're still not saying anything substantive. Let me break it down:

What it comes down to, basically, is the cult of legalism that North Carolina Yankee fostered.

Alright, you use language to make it sound like he's Jim Jones, but that's still not substantive.

It's not a surprise that public completely lost interest in the Senate during his long stranglehold over it

By what measure? Also, he was the PPT, not the PM--it's not like he had dictatorial power. I don't know if he even had a right-wing majority at any point, so your assertion that he had a "stranglehold" over the Senate is a hard sell.

compare his time as PPT to Verily's, when the Senate was vibrant and interest was high.

Yankee literally just did that. Maybe his numbers don't decisively prove that his Senate was more active, but is there another way to measure Senate activity? Maybe you could go back and count the number of posts in debate threads, if you have the 146 consecutive hours it would take to do that.

Using the "oh, you're just obsessed with legalism" argument doesn't convince me. It's the same faulty argument some people make to say that sports statistics are meaningless. You need substance to prove a point like this, especially when substance is disproving your point, and you're lacking that.

Yankee's response to this thread is again telling; he blames my failure to cast a vote concerning a constitutional amendment, as if the structure of the game is all that mattered.

Deconstructing one part of his defense doesn't help your offense.

My verdict on this thread still hasn't changed.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2015, 01:20:41 AM »

Man, we birthed laws during my second term like rabbits birth babies! I had no idea we smashed the record by that much!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2015, 02:05:06 AM »

By what measure? Also, he was the PPT, not the PM--it's not like he had dictatorial power. I don't know if he even had a right-wing majority at any point, so your assertion that he had a "stranglehold" over the Senate is a hard sell.

The only conservative majorities in the Senate over that time period where in early 2012 and the last 6 of Duke's eight months. So we are talking like 12 months spread out across three years.

For one thing PPT was not a partisan office. People trusted me to get the job done, and respected my independence in running the position. I united a very diverse coalition of support that ranged from Tmth to Kalwejt. In 2012 it was always a multi-party coalition that voted me in and rarely was I even opposed. I was a member of a single seat regional party, the Imperial Bloc and the Whigs had at most two seats during that period. The Liberals never attained a majority and their leader Napoleon never really moved to try and get me removed. In my earlier stints during the RPP-JCP era, that was different (I have held the post four seperate times), since bgwah wanted it. Also Nappy hated the RPP, which in hindsight makes a hell of lot more sense considering who he was all along.

Once Labor became the main opposition though in 2013, they lusted after the position and desired to transform it to a partisan operation as well as elect TNF to the post. It was former Liberals like sbane (who joined the Feds), Napoleon and then VP DemPGH that kept me as PPT. Napoleon's vote especially became crucial once sbane was replaced by a Laborite (who also turned out to be a sock ironically), which left Labor with five Senators and Xahar as a sixth. That December reduced the left to five seats and gave the right five (4 Feds and 1 DR), which held through October 2014.  Once Labor gained the Administrative branch that July, VP Windjammer tried to arrange a power sharing agreement and there was a court case over the vote count, which lasted a month. Before it ended, I had to concede the position because of real life problems.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2015, 05:24:54 AM »

The only conservative majorities in the Senate over that time period where in early 2012 and the last 6 of Duke's eight months. So we are talking like 12 months spread out across three years.

For one thing PPT was not a partisan office. People trusted me to get the job done, and respected my independence in running the position. I united a very diverse coalition of support that ranged from Tmth to Kalwejt. In 2012 it was always a multi-party coalition that voted me in and rarely was I even opposed. I was a member of a single seat regional party, the Imperial Bloc and the Whigs had at most two seats during that period. The Liberals never attained a majority and their leader Napoleon never really moved to try and get me removed.

So, yeah, obviously a dictatorial "stranglehold," and the game was made "in [your] image," and because of this you "killed" it. Right Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies