At what point will GOP donors be stunned that no one wants another Bush
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:28:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  At what point will GOP donors be stunned that no one wants another Bush
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: At what point will GOP donors be stunned that no one wants another Bush  (Read 2777 times)
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 14, 2015, 09:47:37 PM »

I can just see October 2016, Jeb runs a fairly moderate campaign but never pulls closer than 3 points within Clinton. I think their donors are in complete denial about how bad the Bush brand is. Hillary hasn't even attacked yet, wait until she runs ads showing images of Iraq, Katrina and the recession. She can point out that Jeb has hired large parts of W's team.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 09:56:25 PM »

When Ohio is called for Clinton.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 09:57:46 PM »

I doubt Jeb will be so stupid to ask Dick Cheney to be his running mate though.
(Maybe he'll ask Liz Cheney instead lol.)
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 10:02:16 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2015, 10:04:05 PM by dudeabides »

I can just see October 2016, Jeb runs a fairly moderate campaign but never pulls closer than 3 points within Clinton. I think their donors are in complete denial about how bad the Bush brand is. Hillary hasn't even attacked yet, wait until she runs ads showing images of Iraq, Katrina and the recession. She can point out that Jeb has hired large parts of W's team.

Right now, more Americans have a favorable view of President Bush 43 than approve of President Obama's job performance. If this were 2012, the strategy you described would probably work. It's going to be 7 years since George W. Bush left office, and people will look at Jeb Bush's record. Hillary Clinton should try to find something in Jeb Bush's record as Governor to attack, not his brother.

The challenge for Hillary Clinton is that Governor Bush can tell voters she is running for President Obama's third term. That is far more damaging than telling people that Jeb Bush isn't fit to be President because his brother was a bad President.

Jeb Bush will win this election, but it won't be easy and it will be close. Hillary Clinton has the demographic advantage, but her gaffes, her personality, and the fact that she doesn't come across as presidential will hurt her.

Ironically, Bush will beat her much the way Obama did in 2008.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 10:23:25 PM »

Right now, more Americans have a favorable view of President Bush 43 than approve of President Obama's job performance. If this were 2012, the strategy you described would probably work. It's going to be 7 years since George W. Bush left office, and people will look at Jeb Bush's record. Hillary Clinton should try to find something in Jeb Bush's record as Governor to attack, not his brother.

The challenge for Hillary Clinton is that Governor Bush can tell voters she is running for President Obama's third term. That is far more damaging than telling people that Jeb Bush isn't fit to be President because his brother was a bad President.

The problem is that while W Bush's favorable ratings increase, poll after poll shows that voters still do approve his presidency or Republican policies. Both are more unpopular than Obama's approval ratings at his lowest, and many of Obama's core policies (minimum wage increase, diplomacy instead of conflict, increased wages, LGBT rights) remain especially popular. Even a supposed Republican strength, the repeal of Obamacare, doesn't poll well when voters find out that Republicans have no solution for the millions of people who would kicked off their insurance if Obamacare were repealed.

Even if Bush runs a "moderate campaign," how is supposed to defend himself against his connections to his brother's policies and unpopular Republican social policies? Hillary's ad team is going to have a field day as Republican strategists continue to run dry ads on Benghazi and the latest supposed Clinton scandal? They're losing on the issues and they know it. No matter how "competent and moderate" Bush is, he's not going to escape the out of touch GOP that tried to shut down the government over Obamacare.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 10:29:06 PM »

Even Obamacare isn't really unpopular any longer. In the latest poll, 48% approved and only 49% disapproved of the law.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 11:10:28 PM »

When Walker gets more support. I'm sure Romney and some others do not want Bush to be the nominee

Romney seems to have an affinity for Christie, Rubio and Bush.
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 12:51:19 AM »

The problem is that while W Bush's favorable ratings increase, poll after poll shows that voters still do approve his presidency or Republican policies. Both are more unpopular than Obama's approval ratings at his lowest, and many of Obama's core policies (minimum wage increase, diplomacy instead of conflict, increased wages, LGBT rights) remain especially popular. Even a supposed Republican strength, the repeal of Obamacare, doesn't poll well when voters find out that Republicans have no solution for the millions of people who would kicked off their insurance if Obamacare were repealed.

Even if Bush runs a "moderate campaign," how is supposed to defend himself against his connections to his brother's policies and unpopular Republican social policies? Hillary's ad team is going to have a field day as Republican strategists continue to run dry ads on Benghazi and the latest supposed Clinton scandal? They're losing on the issues and they know it. No matter how "competent and moderate" Bush is, he's not going to escape the out of touch GOP that tried to shut down the government over Obamacare.

I've always been shocked as how Hillary's complete ****ups are "dry ads". What, is that no longer relevant that she has zero accomplishment & actually positive executive experience? That every position she's ever held is known for a damned mess or nothing done w/ her name barely finding it's way on a dozen pieces of legislation in all her years?

Hillary Clinton is the Kim Kardashian of politics and if she is elected it would be such a shame. I wish the Democrats would nominate Bernie, somebody who actually stands up & truly wants to be a leader for the left. Hillary is a damn celebrity, not a commander in chief of the greatest nation in the world.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 12:55:06 AM »

Bush, if nominated, will probably lead late polls just as Romney and McCain did, and his donors and supporters here will feel optimistic, like they did for Romney and McCain.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 01:03:46 AM »

Bush, if nominated, will probably lead late polls just as Romney and McCain did, and his donors and supporters here will feel optimistic, like they did for Romney and McCain.

It was totally clear that McCain was toast at the end of the campaign.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 09:13:52 AM »

One month before, yes. 2 months before (losing by 7), not clear.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 10:52:56 AM »

Conservative activists were angered when Governor Bush made no mention of repealing Obamacare at CPAC this year. He is on the record as wanting to repeal Obamacare, but he knows that it can't be a main campaign theme.

Jeb Bush is going to talk about the economy and foreign policy, he's not going to talk about social issues. His views are known, he isn't dodging questions, but it is not the focus of his campaign. 4% growth is. I happen to believe it's a winning message, it's part of the reason I'm supporting him.

The Democrats will probably try to tie Governor Bush to his brother's policies, but it's going to be a challenge for them because he can then turn around and tie Hillary Clinton to Obama's economic policies. People do support rights for same-sex couples and a minimum wage increase, they also are unhappy with the economy right now.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 10:57:40 AM »

When the networks call Virginia for Clinton.
JonathanSwift
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 05:24:30 PM »

When the networks call Virginia for Clinton.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 05:29:06 PM »

when dudeabides stops surrogating for Jeb
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 06:18:24 PM »

When he finishes in third in New Hampshire
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 08:20:16 PM »

Jeb Bush will win this election, but it won't be easy and it will be close. Hillary Clinton has the demographic advantage, but her gaffes, her personality, and the fact that she doesn't come across as presidential will hurt her.

Ironically, Bush will beat her much the way Obama did in 2008.

I find it very, very hard to believe that people would connect Hillary to Obama and not Jeb to Dubya. Clinton and Obama haven't been the best of friends necessarily, while the Bushes are literally brothers. This guy literally has the same parents as one of the most hated politicians in modern history! Maybe a lot of people dislike Obama, but I don't think connecting Hillary to him is a viable defense to the Bush connection at all.

It's a fact that George W. Bush isn't looked at well by many, and it's a fact that we don't want a dynasty. I suppose a Clinton Dynasty wouldn't be welcome either, but I think most people would look at a Bush Trilogy even worse.

There are two groups the Republican nominee needs to do fairly well in to guarantee victory: disgruntled conservatives and independent moderates. Disgruntled conservatives won't support a moderate, just how not all of the Sanders/Warren crowd will support Hillary. Independent moderates won't support Bush 3.0.

Someone like Marco Rubio, John Kasich, a better-focused Rand Paul, or a better-articulated Scott Walker could get both of those groups far better than Hillary can. The Republican donor-class and establishment is, as always, completely clueless.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 09:07:48 PM »

Jeb should have stayed out of FL recall and if Gore won, he could have beaten Gore in 2004 and been reelected.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 09:32:09 PM »

Should President Obama become a failure as President in the next fifteen months, then no Democratic nominee for President has a chance in 2016. On the other side, Hillary Clinton can win much as George H W Bush won in 1988 -- basically, "Keep up the good work". Few Presidents have won election that way, but that is all that is available to any Democratic nominee in 2016.

It may be ironic, but Barack Obama has much the same political skillsert as Ronalr Reagtan.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

PPP has a report on Virginia coming out this week.  No Republican has won the Presidency without Virginia since 1924, and no Republican is going to win without Virginia in 2016.

Vague. Obama won a near-landslide in 2008. 2008 was not really close.

I find it very, very hard to believe that people would connect Hillary to Obama and not Jeb to Dubya. Clinton and Obama haven't been the best of friends necessarily, while the Bushes are literally brothers. This guy literally has the same parents as one of the most hated politicians in modern history! Maybe a lot of people dislike Obama, but I don't think connecting Hillary to him is a viable defense to the Bush connection at all.

It's a fact that George W. Bush isn't looked at well by many, and it's a fact that we don't want a dynasty. I suppose a Clinton Dynasty wouldn't be welcome either, but I think most people would look at a Bush Trilogy even worse.

There are two groups the Republican nominee needs to do fairly well in to guarantee victory: disgruntled conservatives and independent moderates. Disgruntled conservatives won't support a moderate, just how not all of the Sanders/Warren crowd will support Hillary. Independent moderates won't support Bush 3.0.

Someone like Marco Rubio, John Kasich, a better-focused Rand Paul, or a better-articulated Scott Walker could get both of those groups far better than Hillary can. The Republican donor-class and establishment is, as always, completely clueless.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 09:46:05 PM »

Jeb should have stayed out of FL recall and if Gore won, he could have beaten Gore in 2004 and been reelected.

I'm doubtful that the GOP would have nominated him if both his father and his brother had been defeated by a ticket with Gore on it. Then there's the matter of being reelected against the backdrop of the financial collapse.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 09:54:34 PM »

He was much more popular as Governor of FL, at any rate. He should of been president, not Dubya.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 10:07:36 PM »

One month before, yes. 2 months before (losing by 7), not clear.

Well, 2 months before the economy hadn't totally blown up.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2015, 10:35:22 PM »

Should President Obama become a failure as President in the next fifteen months, then no Democratic nominee for President has a chance in 2016. On the other side, Hillary Clinton can win much as George H W Bush won in 1988 -- basically, "Keep up the good work". Few Presidents have won election that way, but that is all that is available to any Democratic nominee in 2016.

It may be ironic, but Barack Obama has much the same political skillsert as Ronalr Reagtan.

PPP has a report on Virginia coming out this week.  No Republican has won the Presidency without Virginia since 1924, and no Republican is going to win without Virginia in 2016.

Vague. Obama won a near-landslide in 2008. 2008 was not really close.

The people who don't want a Clinton dynasty are Republicans, the folks who don't want another Bush are Democrats. When the voters look at the candidates and watch those debates, they will recognize that Hillary Clinton is running on the same recycled ideas that Barack Obama ran on, and John Kerry for that matter. Jeb Bush won't be running on George W. Bush's agenda in all likelihood.

Governor Bush will do well with three groups Mitt Romney lost in 2012: catholic voters, Hispanics, and moderates (not to be confused with independents). I also believe Jeb Bush will do well with white working class voters who voted for George W. Bush and then Barack Obama.

There is no doubt that Hillary Clinton benefits from being female and having a larger hispanic population than before. Governor Bush will hurt her with hispanics.

Jeb Bush can either attack Hillary Clinton as having no accomplishments, or he can attack her as being too close to Barack Obama. Either way, I think the RNC will tie her to Obama. Bush, however, has taken the approach that she has no accomplishments. I think there should be a combination of both - the argument should be that Hillary Clinton has no experience governing, and that she was not a good Secretary of State.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2015, 11:12:33 PM »

I've always been shocked as how Hillary's complete ****ups are "dry ads". What, is that no longer relevant that she has zero accomplishment & actually positive executive experience? That every position she's ever held is known for a damned mess or nothing done w/ her name barely finding it's way on a dozen pieces of legislation in all her years?

Hillary Clinton is the Kim Kardashian of politics and if she is elected it would be such a shame. I wish the Democrats would nominate Bernie, somebody who actually stands up & truly wants to be a leader for the left. Hillary is a damn celebrity, not a commander in chief of the greatest nation in the world.

I know you addressed your points as to why earlier in the thread, but comparing her to Kim Kardashian is pretty sexist.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2015, 11:27:28 PM »

Find me the white working class voters who voted for Bush and Obama? That's the group most likely to be Kerry/McCain/Romney. I don't see Hillary losing the Bush-Obama types, a group that is mainly educated whites and a few minorities.

W's favorable rating is still miserable compared to other ex President's. Even Carter's is solid and everyone knows he wasn't a good president. Wait until the attack ads hit Jeb and the country gets a friendly reminder of who's in charge if the GOP wins.

Essentially Jeb has to convince people to buy a car from the dealer that ripped them off last time instead of support the reliable brand in Hillary. Tell me that's an easy task. It's not as simple as saying that Dems support Clinton and Rs support Jeb, we know this. The Clinton brand is still viewed as competent, if a bit shady. The idea of Jeb advocating 4% growth and using the same team his brother had -9% growth in 2008 with is going to get the GOP nowhere fast.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies