Falklands War (1982)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:32:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Falklands War (1982)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Falklands War (1982)  (Read 4815 times)
Cory
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2015, 04:03:29 AM »

Why on Earth would a communist support a right wing fascist military dictatorship?

Geo-political hipsterdom. They are against a Western country so therefore are the good guys.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2015, 04:16:54 AM »

If you consider Latin America to be Western you got the Cenepa war in 1995 between Ecuador and Peru being more recent (small war, but still 150 casualties).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cenepa_War#Casualties_and_material_losses

They also fought a war in 1981, which is an example of a war between 2 democracies.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2015, 06:43:23 AM »

If you consider Latin America to be Western you got the Cenepa war in 1995 between Ecuador and Peru being more recent (small war, but still 150 casualties).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cenepa_War#Casualties_and_material_losses

They also fought a war in 1981, which is an example of a war between 2 democracies.

In 1995, it was not possible anymore to say "a war between 2 democracies" because Fujimori was not very democratic
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2015, 05:53:55 PM »

Why on Earth would a communist support a right wing fascist military dictatorship?

Geo-political hipsterdom. They are against a Western country so therefore are the good guys.

Ironically enough, the Soviet ambassador said something along the lines to the UK government : 'Go kick some Fascist ass'
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2015, 10:24:50 PM »

Ironically enough, the Soviet ambassador said something along the lines to the UK government : 'Go kick some Fascist ass'

And, of course, USSR abstained in the Security Council (along with China, Poland and Spain). The only country to vote with Argentina was Panama. Besides the US, France, and UK itself, resolution 502 was supported by Guyana (took a special lead on this - guess why Smiley ), Ireland, Jordan, Japan, Togo, Uganda and Zaire. Actually, UK had to work harder on the US than on Zaire!

Anti-colonialists, for god´s sake!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2015, 11:10:07 PM »

Is TNF going to come back and explain himself?
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2015, 12:07:19 PM »

Is TNF going to come back and explain himself?

I suspect he was just trolling us.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2022, 10:17:53 PM »

This is a very interesting old thread, so I hope no one will mind me necroing it. Specifically, I found the debate on what is Western to be worth revisiting. Personally, I would define Western as the following:

-- speaks a European or historically related (Hebrew) language

-- Predominantly populated or primarily influenced by European/Western settlers

-- Historically geopolitically aligned with Western nations

-- Has Western cultural or spiritual institutions

However, I would define Western as a scaled category, rather than a binary Western/non-Western. So, while the United States and Bolivia are all Western countries, the United States is in the top tier of being Western countries, while Bolivia is in a lesser tier.

I think this is particularly interesting right now with the conflict in Ukraine, which obviously highlights how these categories are not binding, and countries like Ukraine and Russia can become more or less Western over time. Thoughts?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies