Mideast Record-Courier Polls: The Future of Atlasia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:07:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Record-Courier Polls: The Future of Atlasia
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What is the best course for Atlasia?
Call a Constitutional Convention

Enact reforms through the Senate

Dissolve the Constitution and start over

Dissolve the Constitution but do NOT start over

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Mideast Record-Courier Polls: The Future of Atlasia  (Read 1238 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 16, 2015, 04:20:02 PM »

This poll is for all registered voters and will run for three (3) days.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 04:50:10 PM »

"Dissolve the Constitution but do NOT start over" would mean there's no game at all and I can't remember anybody advocating that.

Anyway, for now, since I"ve been elected, I'll be doing my best to introduce and advance reforms, serious reforms, throught the Senate.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 05:37:30 AM »

"Dissolve the Constitution but do NOT start over" would mean there's no game at all and I can't remember anybody advocating that.
Yeah, I think some people take that route, but to me it just seems like a toddler whining "I don't want to play anymore, so no one else can play either!"

At first I thought that option meant to dissolve the Constitution and then carry on as a non-constitutional republic, presumably with regions and independent organizations proclaiming themselves new countries. That, of course, would lead to the death of the game, too, but it would be fun trying to keep track of the chaos.

I think someone's kidding themselves if they don't want a Constitutional Convention. Dissolution without explicit reforms is ridiculous, and there's not really a mechanism to do that, or enact a reset, without a ConCon. And if people are afraid that a Convention wouldn't choose the reforms they want, then they probably shouldn't be playing a simulation of a constitutional democracy.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 05:57:09 AM »

Yeah, I think some people take that route, but to me it just seems like a toddler whining "I don't want to play anymore, so no one else can play either!"

It can pretty much being a dick. Nobody forces anybody to play this game. I've lost an interest before and simply left. I didn't have to come back, I wanted to. For all our problems, there are still people who wants to play, there are still newbies joining.
[/quote]

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Personally I'd love for this game to transform into separate entities, with unique systems, that would interact with each other in addition to domestic policy aspect of the playing. But the people are too attached to one Atlasia. And it's still better than nothing.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 06:42:53 AM »

It can pretty much being a dick. Nobody forces anybody to play this game. I've lost an interest before and simply left. I didn't have to come back, I wanted to. For all our problems, there are still people who wants to play, there are still newbies joining.
Exactly. The calls for Atlasia's death started not too long after I joined, and my initial reaction was "b-b-but...I haven't done anything yet..." Acting like the country should be dissolved for good because they themselves are bored is frankly a slap in the face to active members past, present, and future.

Personally I'd love for this game to transform into separate entities, with unique systems, that would interact with each other in addition to domestic policy aspect of the playing. But the people are too attached to one Atlasia. And it's still better than nothing.
Yeah, I think that would be lots of fun as well, but would we get enough activity in enough independent nations? And I think there is certainly merit to one unified nation.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 10:13:34 AM »

Because of the amount of obstruction that even basic reforms will run into, I have to support Option 3 at this point. I realize some are afraid of initial chaos, but really, it would burn itself out, I think, because there's only really so much the loons can do before they get bored. Option 2 would be meaningless, I can't support Option 4, and I'm lukewarm on Option 1. Basically, if I had faith in it I would support it, but a con-con can always fail and then we're back to the status quo. So, Option 3. If people want a new, better game, then they'll build one with no status quo/obstructionism to fall back on.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 10:18:48 AM »

Because of the amount of obstruction that even basic reforms will run into, I have to support Option 3 at this point. I realize some are afraid of initial chaos, but really, it would burn itself out, I think, because there's only really so much the loons can do before they get bored. Option 2 would be meaningless, I can't support Option 4, and I'm lukewarm on Option 1. Basically, if I had faith in it I would support it, but a con-con can always fail and then we're back to the status quo. So, Option 3. If people want a new, better game, then they'll build one with no status quo/obstructionism to fall back on.

But why would you be against it because it might not make as many changes as you would want?

Dissolving Atlasia is the exact same thing, but with more risk due to the chaos. A Constitutional Convention is the best way to find solutions from the people.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 10:22:33 AM »

DemPGH is absolutely right. Any reforms will be watered down into oblivion or outright blocked by the usual suspects. We know this from all past experience. A new start is the only answer.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 10:38:29 AM »

DemPGH is absolutely right. Any reforms will be watered down into oblivion or outright blocked by the usual suspects. We know this from all past experience. A new start is the only answer.

How? With a dissolution?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 10:39:36 AM »

How? With a dissolution?

We decide that Atlasia as we know it will end on a specific date. No more elections, no more offices, no more constitution, no more regions. At that point we can take as long as we need to draw up a new system, radically different, without the problem of having to work within existing structures.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 10:41:55 AM »

How? With a dissolution?

We decide that Atlasia as we know it will end on a specific date. No more elections, no more offices, no more constitution, no more regions. At that point we can take as long as we need to draw up a new system, radically different, without the problem of having to work within existing structures.
The thing is what happens if not many people want to do it and quit, basically it's just the easy way out of the situation.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 10:58:06 AM »

How? With a dissolution?

At this point, we would be forced to do a new Constitution. With a ConCon, we can fix the Constitution. The regions and the Senate selects the delegates. The delegates work on the Constitution.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 11:38:12 AM »

Exactly. The calls for Atlasia's death started not too long after I joined, and my initial reaction was "b-b-but...I haven't done anything yet..." Acting like the country should be dissolved for good because they themselves are bored is frankly a slap in the face to active members past, present, and future.

Yeah, I think that would be lots of fun as well, but would we get enough activity in enough independent nations? And I think there is certainly merit to one unified nation.

Some regions are barely active, so I must agree, we wouldn't get enough activity for separate countries.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 11:44:54 AM »

But why would you be against it because it might not make as many changes as you would want?

Dissolving Atlasia is the exact same thing, but with more risk due to the chaos. A Constitutional Convention is the best way to find solutions from the people.

I think we need to do more than just tweak this or that, which is what a con-con would be. The ones in the past did not result in substantive alterations, and there is literally no reason whatsoever to think one would now. Minimally, we need three regions and fewer offices, but whole brigades of people are basically on call to come out to prevent that.

Every so many months someone comes up with a sort of magic pill - a parliamentary system, last summer it was a core dump of all legislation (and all we would do is just re-legislate it), but none of that made it through either.

How? With a dissolution?

I'm actually on board with that and will support if it makes it to the referendum stage. I also think that there are enough serious people that the limbo period could be organized and managed.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 01:03:01 PM »

I agree with DemPGH and Oakvale. End the game as we know it and burn the boats behind us.
If you guys want to end this game, please leave it beacuse some of us don't.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 01:15:12 PM »

I agree with DemPGH and Oakvale. End the game as we know it and burn the boats behind us.

Who are you
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2015, 01:22:55 PM »

Who are you
An Atlasian who wants radical change but not a death sentence for our nation.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 01:22:56 PM »

Who are you

What passes for a big-shot here these days.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 02:00:30 PM »

Articles of Confederation
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2015, 03:07:18 PM »

A con con wouldn't work in my view-it's been what 2-3 weeks since this started and we still haven't even opened the con con. If we did, I agree with DemPgh-it wouldn't work. Like really, I supported a con con at first but the fact it's been so slow, and lack luster makes me think that the same problems would still be there

Parliamentary System is the way to go

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 07:58:28 PM »

Who are you
An Atlasian who wants radical change but not a death sentence for our nation.
I've been an Atlasian for a long, long time, and I want a redo.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 11:14:36 PM »

I think we need to do more than just tweak this or that, which is what a con-con would be. The ones in the past did not result in substantive alterations, and there is literally no reason whatsoever to think one would now. Minimally, we need three regions and fewer offices, but whole brigades of people are basically on call to come out to prevent that.

Well, this is a constitutional representative democracy, so what's wrong with any of that?

Why can't we try a ConCon? If it doesn't work, then I suppose we could try something more drastic. I don't see why it's such a hurry that we need to bypass democracy.

Who are you

Maybe he lacks tact, but his basic point is right. Atlasia isn't yours or anyone else's to burn. If we try reforms but that doesn't work, maybe a restart with a new constitution is the best answer. But just simply dissolving Atlasia and thinking that will magically solve all of our problems is silly.

And while he didn't have tact, you didn't either. Responses like "who are you?" to new active members is the #1 way to make this seem like an old boy's club where new players aren't welcome. And really, new active players is the best way to make things better, because the key problem is one of inactivity, everything else is just a cause or symptom of that.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2015, 02:42:40 AM »

A con con wouldn't work in my view-it's been what 2-3 weeks since this started and we still haven't even opened the con con. If we did, I agree with DemPgh-it wouldn't work. Like really, I supported a con con at first but the fact it's been so slow, and lack luster makes me think that the same problems would still be there

Parliamentary System is the way to go

Well, it needs the signatures. If there aren't the signatures, I assume that Atlasians don't want a ConCon. This is pretty sad and the Senate will soon debate an amendment that allows the Senate to call a ConCon.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2015, 09:59:07 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2015, 06:53:56 AM by DemPGH »

It's not that I'm tired of it so I want to take my ball and go home, it's that this place is utterly, totally gone to hell at this point, and part of the reason is there's nothing left to do. It's been done. Cosmetic changes to a constitution that has been cosmetically changed like twice in a decade will fix nothing.

Remove anything of value, plant the dynamite, and get out. Let the dust settle and build something new, if that's the desire.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2015, 01:41:21 PM »

If thats the desire? Roll Eyes

Come on DemPGH. Also Sirnick was banned for threatening. The Hamilton thing is some kind of running gag. At least that is as far as I know about it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies