MI-08 - Hollywood Actress Melissa Gilbert (D) running
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:32:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MI-08 - Hollywood Actress Melissa Gilbert (D) running
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MI-08 - Hollywood Actress Melissa Gilbert (D) running  (Read 1964 times)
Republican Michigander

Political Matrix
E: 5.81, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 10, 2015, 04:43:35 PM »

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2015/08/10/actress-gilbert-run-congress-michigan/31425899/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

She's going to have a tough road here. He moved to the state in 2013, has trouble paying her taxes, and is extremely anti-2nd Amendment in a district where that is a big issue.

Livingston County and that part of Oakland County won't vote for her. Her only chance is to run up the score in Ingham County and hope Lansing and East Lansing have a sky high turnout combined with a low turnout in Livingston and northern Oakland Counties.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 05:20:30 PM »

She's going to get so much hate from Republicans. They hate it when anyone runs against one of their incumbents, so I hope she's prepared for it. You simply don't try to "steal" one of their seats, they are property of the GOP and no one else. LOL.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 05:26:12 PM »

She's going to get so much hate from Republicans. They hate it when anyone runs against one of their incumbents, so I hope she's prepared for it. You simply don't try to "steal" one of their seats, they are property of the GOP and no one else. LOL.

Democrats probably hate it when someone runs against one of their vulnerable incumbents, too.
Republican Michigander

Political Matrix
E: 5.81, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 05:45:32 PM »

I'm glad she's running. That means more than likely someone who could be real tough is not running.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 06:02:31 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2015, 06:30:39 PM by Invisible Obama »

I'm glad she's running. That means more than likely someone who could be real tough is not running.

It's not like anyone else was really looking at the seat anyway, at least not anyone with name recognition.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 06:25:18 PM »

Anna Sheridan is running for Congress?

My associates will be pleased.  Though I can already imagine that if she loses, her concession speech might be a bit dramatic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raik-v9-DWU
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 06:26:54 PM »

Haven't she made a donation for Giuliani campaign back in 2008?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 06:31:31 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2015, 09:20:46 PM by Mr. Morden »

Her ex-husband (who she divorced in 2011) Babylon 5 star Bruce Boxleitner, is a Republican, but I didn't know anything about Gilbert's politics herself until reading this story today.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 06:48:28 PM »

Reminds me a lot of the Ashley Judd for Senate talk, in that it's something that'll get the casual politics-watchers excited and maybe bring in a lot of donations, but she's actually probably got a worse shot than a random Michigan State Senator running here.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 07:33:29 PM »

Her ex-husband (who she divorced in 2011) Babylon 5 star Bruce Boxleitner, is a Republican, but I didn't know anything about Gilbert's politics herself until reading this story today.

I remember reading sometime ago she was a registered independent.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 07:34:56 PM »

I think I've read somewhere a couple of years ago she was a registered indy, but can't find a source now.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 03:09:45 AM »

YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!!!!!!!

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 11:16:46 AM »

Reminds me a lot of the Ashley Judd for Senate talk, in that it's something that'll get the casual politics-watchers excited and maybe bring in a lot of donations, but she's actually probably got a worse shot than a random Michigan State Senator running here.

Except that people actually know who Ashley Judd is.

When I saw this thread, I initial confused her with the woman who played Roseanne's daughter (Sara Gilbert -- turns out she's actually Melissa Gilbert's half sister).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 08:20:40 PM »

Ftr, Gilbert does have a little "political experience" (if you want to call it that) in that she was president of the Screen Actors Guild from 2001-2005.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 08:52:52 PM »

Ftr, Gilbert does have a little "political experience" (if you want to call it that) in that she was president of the Screen Actors Guild from 2001-2005.

The same experience as when Ronald Reagan ran for governor of California in 1966, unless you count making propaganda films as experience.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2015, 09:12:43 PM »

So is she going to be running as some DINO center-rightish kind of candidate, or will she actually live up to being a Democrat?
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 06:59:31 AM »

It's not like Democrats are going to pick up this seat, anyway. At least running someone who is marginally famous provides a little entertainment value.

Though, she owes a ton of money in back taxes: http://on.freep.com/1NngsS8
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 07:43:06 AM »

The same experience as when Ronald Reagan ran for governor of California in 1966, unless you count making propaganda films as experience.

Well, the propaganda film he broadcast for Barry Goldwater's campaign just before Election Day in 1964 helped propel his career upward beyond the GE programs he'd been making. I wouldn't discount that experience and I've never heard of Melissa Gilbert making a splash in the real world of politics.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies