Road Trip 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:29:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Road Trip 2015
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Road Trip 2015  (Read 2355 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2015, 07:48:47 AM »
« edited: March 22, 2016, 06:59:53 PM by muon2 »

I leave in a week for one of our periodic family road trips. As in the past (2011,
2008, and 2005) I'll post a travelogue with daily messages. To get started I have highlighted my expected overnight destinations in red (Cardston AB not shown) including multiple nights in Birch Bay, WA (pink). Once I depart I'll change the map to show the route and stops. As with my other trips I'm open to meet ups with other posters as time permits.

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 08:03:58 AM »

Nice. It always amazes me how Americans think nothing of cross continental car journeys with their families - I'd probably go mad.

Anything special about the layover counties? Family etc.?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 09:01:59 AM »

The Skagit destination was booked last year to coincide with the week when I have a meeting in Seattle. The MN layover is the only one associated with a personal friend. Layovers in ND, WA, and OR are at the request of my kids who haven't slept in those states before (OR for me as well). Otherwise destinations are spaced to keep the travel days at 350 to 600 mi (600 to 1000 km) depending on anticipated stops.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 03:56:28 PM »

Layovers in ND, WA, and OR are at the request of my kids who haven't slept in those states before (OR for me as well).

ND is pretty good for sleep, so enjoy!  Smiley
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 04:16:49 PM »

have fun Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 07:54:16 PM »

Enjoy.

We just got back from an 1100-mile road trip ourselves, and stretched it out to three days each way.  (I remember when 1100 miles used to be one day.  Just me and my 1979 Toyota Deathtrap and a lid of fine Colombian herb and the miles would just cruise by.  Nowadays, with my entourage and their need for frequent stops and my mature respect for sober and highly-caffeinated driving, it all seems to take much longer.  O how the times have changed.)

Have an enjoyable and safe journey.  Say hello to Teddy, Abe, Tom, and George for me.  Tongue
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 10:33:46 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2015, 10:36:02 PM by muon2 »

angus, the good news for us is that the stop frequency is now reduced compared to years gone by. If you look at my 2005 log and apply a decade of math I will now be traveling with adult children at 20 and 22. The driving gets easier with the extra drivers, but lodging gets more complicated since I can't pile everyone into a bed (or two given the age and genders involved). However, points at hotel chains do have value in this type of planning.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 11:25:46 AM »

haha. 

I understand.  My son is ten and this was the first summer that one king-size bed no longer suits us.  I think we'll still be okay with one room, though, for a few more years.

We have finally gotten to the point when he says, "I need to pee" before exits and rest areas, rather than waiting till we're on a fifty-mile stretch of nothing.  He is a boy, though, so in a real emergency the contingency plan isn't too terribly inconvenient. 

As for letting him drive, I think my wife will have the final say.  I suspect she'll have to get over the terror of the thought first.  Actually, if he's anything like I was as a teenager I'll be terrified as well.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 11:21:02 PM »

Day 1

The start of the trip isn't much to write about. We didn't start until early afternoon because of a couple of sporting activities. I wanted to see the final leg of the Tour de France. Even though the jerseys were all decided, I'd watched the first 20 legs and I wanted to see the final sprint. At the same time my wife was at a special class to train for her 3rd degree black belt that she hopes to get in Nov. We finally got going about 1:30 pm.

Other than the pick up at the martial arts studio, there were stops for gas, a snack, and dinner. The snack in Madison was combined with a stop at a quilt shop for my wife's hobby. We've driven the road between Chicago and the Twin Cities many times, so with the late start we just headed to our first stop in Roseville, MN with a college classmate of mine.

I'll keep my signature updated with the daily travels.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 09:59:56 PM »

Day 2

Day two started out with a couple of stops to pick up some supplies that were overlooked in the initial packing. There's always something forgotten on a trip it seems. One advantage to a road trip is that a stop to Target to pick up some stuff is easy to add. Here we stopped at the original Target location (but new building) in Roseville MN, a place I bicycled to from my home in the early 1970's. We added a couple more acquisitions before really getting underway just after 10 am.

The theme of this year's road trip is water, and our point of interest this day was Lake Itasca, the headwaters of the Mississippi River. We stopped at both the upper end of the lake and the popular north end of the lake. That's where a short rock crossing of about 25 feet spans the official start of the river. There were a couple dozen kids and their parents wading across the "Mighty Mississippi".

Before we go to Itasca we stopped in tiny Hackensack MN (pop 313) for lunch, but more importantly to pick up a pattern at the quilt shop there. There's annual summer event where quilt shops in all 50 states offer pattern on a theme, and this year's is H20 (there's the water theme again). The quilting hobby is big enough that the proprietor said that since mid June there had already been 200 people who visited the store in the middle of nowhere to not just pick up the pattern, but to buy a kit with the needed fabrics.

After a drive through the White Earth Indian Reservation and fields of sugar beets we arrived at our overnight destination in Grand Forks ND. We got in about 7:30 with plenty of time for a dinner out. A sign pointed to Sertoma park and advertised a Japanese Garden. It's small with a couple of traditional stone lanterns donated by the Japanese sister city of Grand Forks. For a city that size it's nice, though it could be improved with somewhat less pond scum.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 10:18:57 PM »

Day 3

When I was little I liked to collect state highway maps that gas stations gave for free. I'd pick them up during travels to visit relatives. In the car a frequent game was to identify as many different state license plates as we could. I noticed the ND called itself the Peace Garden State, and on the maps there was this place tucked on the international border called the International Peace Garden. It seemed interesting and remote and it's been on my bucket list to visit for 50 years now.

It was still a few hours drive to get to the Peace Garden from Grand Forks. On the way I got to see the monument in Rugby ND that marks the geographic center of North America (and my wife got to a nice quilt shop there as well). The entrance to the Peace Garden is on the international line and is accessed in between the two customs stations so that visitors from either country don't have to go through customs of the other country. On the grounds one can walk back and forth across the line through the gardens, and customs only applies as one drives away. One unfortunate feature is that the Peace Tower which was built in 1982 is falling apart and may have to come down within a year.

After the the visit to the Peace Garden the weather took a nasty turn and for the last two hours I found myself driving into a 39 mph (62 km/h) headwind with crosswind gusts as I drove through fracking country. We ended up in Williston, ND where it seems everyone drives a pick up to work in the oil fields. Shortly I'm heading to the Williston Airport to pick up my daughter who will join my son, wife and I for most of the rest of the trip.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 08:18:40 AM »

Falling about after 30 years? No plans to maintain it/update it or are you just speculating that they might take it down? That would be unfortunate (though I'm glad you managed to finally visit at least)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 08:55:08 AM »

Was the route through ND Muon2, to see more water features?  ND is the one state other than Alaska to which I have never been. It's not on the way to anywhere, and does not have a destination feature.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 09:07:01 AM »

Your wife is a second-degree black belt? Cool!
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 09:37:54 PM »

Falling about after 30 years? No plans to maintain it/update it or are you just speculating that they might take it down? That would be unfortunate (though I'm glad you managed to finally visit at least)

The tower had an 8 ft chain link fence around it with a sign saying that concrete chunks were falling off of it. The sign also said that engineers had determined that the structure could not be stabilized through repair. It mentioned that the structure was likely to come down and a new design would replace it.

Was the route through ND Muon2, to see more water features?  ND is the one state other than Alaska to which I have never been. It's not on the way to anywhere, and does not have a destination feature.

The Peace Garden is centered around a stream, pond and fountain that sit directly on the international boundary. It is a significant tourist destination despite being out of the way (AAA Gem attraction). You should seek it out if you need a trip away from the hustle and bustle.

I could also count the quilting stops as water themed since all the participating shops designed a water-themed pattern this year. Wink

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 10:03:26 PM »

Day 4

Now with four in the car we left for our longest leg so far. Fortunately the weather was beautiful with sunny skies and a high around 80 as we trekked across the Big Sky country of MT. The oil rigs of the Williston Basin fade out after a short distance into MT and the 500 miles we covered are rolling hills with ranges and wheat fields, occasionally interrupted by a small town. BTW Amtrak follows the same route we did along US 2 and we saw an eastbound Amtrak at one point in the afternoon.

The highlight of the day in the morning was a tour of Fort Peck Dam and Powerhouse. This federal Depression era project project (10K employed) is the largest earthen hydraulic dam in the US and the almost 4-mile long dam creates a lake with a shoreline longer than that of CA. The powerhouse uses the 200 foot drop in water to turn 5 turbines and produce about 180 MW of power. My daughter is a recently graduated engineer and my son is studying engineering, so the tour was an excellent fit with the interests of the passengers and ties to our water theme.

The rest of the drive was pleasant and my wife and daughter were able to pick up patterns at three MT quilt shops. Our final destination was the Cobblestone Manor Bed and Breakfast in Cardston AB. We have a nice loft space with deck that could easily sleep 6. Thanks to good weather and high speed limits in MT we arrived in time for dinner, where I enjoyed a very nice homemade roast beef dinner with some excellent mashed potatoes and gravy.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 01:08:04 AM »

Day 5

Fire defeats ice. The last time we were in Glacier National Park was 1997 and my children were too young to remember the scenery. They wanted to return to see some of the namesake glaciers, though the park is named more for the glaciated valleys than the few small glaciers that still remain in the park. A couple can be glimpsed along the road to Many Glacier, but the hike to see them well would have taken more time than we had available. We expected to get a good view along the iconic Going-to-the-Sun highway over Logan Pass, but a wildfire had the road closed. We did some short hiking and had to make do with the distant glimpse.

A little later we encountered another stop that refused to cooperate. Browning MT is about 40 miles from Many Glacier and it looked like a good stop for gas, lunch, and since it was the main town for the Blackfeet Indian Reservation, there was a quilt shop that had a pattern that combined native themes and water. Gas was fine, but the local hamburger stand couldn't serve us since the other help hadn't shown up. Google maps gave conflicting reports about where the shop address was in the small town and we couldn't find it at Google's location. It was probably located near some major construction that jammed the main through traffic intersection of US 2 and 89. We gave up only to find that no bypass for the construction was marked and we had to ask a worker how to get out of town.

It looks frustrating to read events so far, but the rest of the day went great. We took our time in Kalispell for a late lunch and some shopping. Back on US 2 heading west around Glacier to avoid the fire we rely on the series of Roadside Geology books to provide insight to the scenery. As we headed towards ID the book mentioned a scenic view of the Kootenai Falls. Google maps only shows it as kootenai River Historical Marker about the river, but there is a path to to view the falls. With a 200 foot drop in two cascades its the largest undammed waterfall in the northern Rockies. Well worth the stop. Our hotel that evening in Coeur d'Alene was two blocks from a restaurant that distilled its own vodka and was nice nightcap on the rocks with a twist.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 03:46:05 PM »

muon2, looks like you are enjoying your travels!  Have a wonderful time.  I visited the Peace Gardens as a kid before there was a tower.  Too bad it's already decaying.

Torie, damnit, I'm telling you, there is a destination in NoDak.  Please visit TR National Park if you get a chance, and if you're up to it, ride a horse through it.  It's incredibly beautiful.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 12:59:34 AM »

Day 6

On Day 4 we saw one of the largest earthen dams and today it was time for one of the largest concrete dams. We got to Grand Coulee dam by 10 am in time for the first tour. Even though the dam is more impressive and puts out over 30 times the electric power of Fort Peck, the tour wasn't as good as the one at Fort Peck. We didn't see anywhere near as much of the generators at Grand Coulee, just a view from above. Contrast that with Fort Peck where we got to put our hand on the rotating shaft transferring power from the turbine to the generator. The interpretive center at Fort Peck beat the Grand Coulee one, too. The only plus for me was that Grand Coulee had an exhibit where you could play along with Woody Guthrie singing Roll On Columbia, Roll On - a song my music teacher had us learn in grade school. I still remembered this verse, so I guess visiting the dam was somewhat of a bucket list item, too.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

From Grand Coulee we took the scenic North Cascades highway. There is a turnout at Washington Pass with a short walk to an overlook of some beautiful glaciated valleys and peaks. Finally we arrived at our destination resort at Birch Bay, just south of Canada. Coming in to town and seeing the setting sun shine off snow-capped Mt Baker to the east and the waters of the bay to the west was a great way to welcome these travelers.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 10:58:30 PM »

Day 7

We put in over 2500 miles and 41 hours in the car during the first 6 days of driving. After years of trips, I've found it is vital to put a chill day in after the long haul. So on the seventh day we rested.

Here it's helpful to have a good base to rest in, so planning the destination is the most important part of a road trip. We have a large two bedroom unit with a living room, kitchen and loft space for the four of us. That let us go grocery shopping for meals and stay in the unit today. After 6 days on the road dirty clothes build up so one of the first investigations (after wifi) is the laundry. The resort has a laundry room with coin operated washers and dryers, so we were in business since we brought prepackaged detergent and dryer sheets.

The catch was that everything ran on quarters and there was no change machine. There happened to be a branch of my bank in nearby Bellingham as well as a Trader Joes to get some additional things for the kitchen. Bellingham happens to be the home of Fuzzybigfoot so I enjoyed a gelato with him before getting a selfie.

Back in the unit this evening I put together a light pasta dish with salad and a fine cab franc from a local winery. Mmm.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2015, 11:35:20 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2015, 11:42:53 PM by muon2 »

Day 8

This was a highlight day as we took the whale watch out to the San Juan islands. It's really an orca watch, since orcas are not technically whales. In any case we were not disappointed as the 2 1/2 our cruise to western San Juan island treated us to three pods converging to the same area. Lot of tail slapping and a few good breaches. Even the captain seemed impressed, especially by the breaches of Granny, the 104 year-old matriarch of J pod.

Here's one orca I caught with my camera during a breach.

The tour included a two hour stop at Friday Harbor for some shopping. We got back to Bellingham to enjoy one of the many brew pubs that pepper the city. It seems to be a mecca for local brewing.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 11:18:11 PM »

Did you get to go to the whale museum in Friday Harbor?   
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 11:50:00 PM »

Did you get to go to the whale museum in Friday Harbor?  

We decided to check out the shops, especially the art galleries, instead. There was a local big-band style jazz band playing at the harbor and that gave us more time outside in the fabulous weather.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 12:16:37 AM »

Day 9

We are staying so close to Canada it would be a shame if we didn't take advantage our location. We got up in time for the 9 am ferry from Vancouver (Tsawwassen) to Victoria (Swartz Bay). The ride was uneventful and we headed into Victoria. The first stop was to a bed and breakfast in central Victoria run by a relative of mine. Serendipity had his brother and family visiting as well, so it a family gathering over coffee and chocolates to start. We had lunch at a popular pub downtown, and we were there well after the normal lunch hour, but found the service to be quite slow (over a half hour from seating to meal service). It was a holiday and unusually warm, so the Inner Harbour was crowded with tourists.

That left us a bit over a hour to visit the spectacular Butchart Gardens which were designed over 100 years ago. There's an interesting fountain and pond in a sunken garden built from a limestone quarry and a great collection of roses leading to an extensive Japanese garden. We followed the recommendation to avoid the prime tourist times during midday, but even in the late afternoon it was pretty crowded. That's always a mark against any garden since it makes it hard to really appreciate the visuals. The out-of-the way nature of the Peace Garden in ND (day 3) made for a more tranquil viewing.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 08:39:10 AM »
« Edited: August 04, 2015, 08:47:40 AM by Torie »

I saw Butchart Gardens on a family vacation when I was about 12 years old. I still think that it is the most magnificent presentation of landscaping I have seen anywhere in the world. What makes it so special is the topography. It's setting is in a former rock quarry, so there are grottoes and so forth with rock cliffs and ledges at various elevations which serve as a very effective vehicle to display the plants, and create visual variety and drama. Sometimes the rock elevations are all covered with greenery, sometimes not, but in either case, the elevation changes and little valleys of landscape presentations, are most pleasing to the eye. Due to my visit there, when I designed a pool in the desert, I inserted reddish brown flat rocks between the pool and the golf course, inserting in and amongst the rocks various plantings, with water flowing from a raised pool through various crevasses in the rocks.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies