Walker: I don't know if being gay is a choice
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:27:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Walker: I don't know if being gay is a choice
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Walker: I don't know if being gay is a choice  (Read 1288 times)
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2015, 06:46:16 PM »

For anyone who opposes SSM (and ENDA) this is really the only position you can have. Once you agree that being gay isn't a choice, there is no longer any rationale for opposition to gay rights. So opponents have to be in the choice crowd (like Santorum or Carson) or "I dont know."  At least there is some consistency.  Rubio tried for moderate heroism by saying being gay isn't a choice, but gays still shouldnt be allowed to get married. In my book that is worse.

It's a choice.. Plain and simple.

When did you choose to be straight?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2015, 07:21:19 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Are you Jewish? Because most Bible scholars believe that the laws in the OT only apply to the Jewish people.

The only mention in the NT is from Paul, who while an apostle was also just a man.  Jesus makes no known comment on homosexuality being either good or bad.

Of course, if you do believe in following the Old Testament's views on gay men, then I assume you stoned your children to death when they rebelled against you.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2015, 07:28:38 PM »

For anyone who opposes SSM (and ENDA) this is really the only position you can have. Once you agree that being gay isn't a choice, there is no longer any rationale for opposition to gay rights. So opponents have to be in the choice crowd (like Santorum or Carson) or "I dont know."  At least there is some consistency.  Rubio tried for moderate heroism by saying being gay isn't a choice, but gays still shouldnt be allowed to get married. In my book that is worse.

Oh please, do elaborate.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2015, 08:08:27 PM »

Oh please, do elaborate.

Yes, please do.

Sure, gay sex is a choice, being openly gay is a choice, but just being gay in the first place - I've seen no evidence whatsoever that that's a choice. Tell us the evidence.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2015, 09:44:52 PM »

I don't know if Scott Walker is being dumb by choice.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2015, 04:42:16 AM »

Eh, I tend to think it isn't. I mean, I'm heterosexual. I'm attracted to the female human, but not the male one. I don't think I could "choose" to become attracted to men, and if I could, I don't think I'd lose attraction to women. Just how I can't "choose" to like a food I dislike, or dislike a food I like.

And even if you can choose to be straight, or are a straight person thinking that gay people chose it that way, that seems rather arrogant to assume it works that way for everyone else, right? It just makes more sense to assume that gay people are telling the truth that they're gay not by choice, and give them the same rights as straight people.

Now, whether you give them extra protection from discrimination is another thing. I tend to think that "discrimination laws" of any sort are just restrictions on free speech. But I also think that restrictions on marriage, even for Biblical reasons, are also restrictions on individual liberty.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies