Walker: I don't know if being gay is a choice (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:27:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Walker: I don't know if being gay is a choice (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Walker: I don't know if being gay is a choice  (Read 1280 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« on: July 19, 2015, 12:16:20 PM »

For anyone who opposes SSM (and ENDA) this is really the only position you can have. Once you agree that being gay isn't a choice, there is no longer any rationale for opposition to gay rights. So opponents have to be in the choice crowd (like Santorum or Carson) or "I dont know."  At least there is some consistency.  Rubio tried for moderate heroism by saying being gay isn't a choice, but gays still shouldnt be allowed to get married. In my book that is worse.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 12:34:47 PM »

I'm curious why a question like this is even asked. How in any way would his belief if it's a choice to be gay (which its obviously not) affect his ability to run the country. I wish we could actually talk about the issues for once.

Here is why. If you believe being gay is a choice, then gay people should be treated like model train enthusiasts. You have nothing against them and they have every right to enjoy their 'lifestyle' but they shouldn't have any 'special protections.'  Whereas if you believe it isn't a choice, then sexual orientation becomes like race/ethnicity. And therefore deserves protection from discrimination.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 01:16:26 PM »

This 'I dunno' thing is akin to how GOPers are handling climate change with 'I'm not a scientist.' The logic flows gay isn't a choice therefore we can ban SSM/dont need ENDA. Or climate change isn't real/isnt caused by humans therefore we dont need to regulate carbon, stop building new coal plants, etc.

THe GOPers arent ready to give up their positions (SSM is bad, regulating carbon is bad), but they realise the rationales for those decisions are making them look like idiots. So they now default to the 'I dunno' position.  From a policy perspective there is no difference between the most ardent climate deniar and most ardent gay hating bible thumper, but the "I dunno" is a copout to sound less like an idiot (but still kind of an idiot).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies