POST HERE IF YOU WANT TO BE CONSIDERED AS A MOD
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:50:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  POST HERE IF YOU WANT TO BE CONSIDERED AS A MOD
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: POST HERE IF YOU WANT TO BE CONSIDERED AS A MOD  (Read 71012 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2015, 11:15:24 AM »

I think it would be a great show of humility and a step towards healing this community if Leip appointed someone who opposed opebo's banning. The forum was split 50-50 on it, and yet the moderator team apparently supported it unanimously. It's this sort of out-of-step arrogance and unwillingness to engage with the forum community that's caused the moderation staff on here to be such a destructive and negative presence.

Reading through the leaked modcave stuff reminded me that one moderator actually opposed banning opebo, he was just out of town the week we voted.

Sorry to ruin your villainous image of him but that moderator was Torie
Panda Express

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2015, 11:26:52 AM »

Pretty sure the last thing that is needed is more mods. You have enough as it is. Not only have you had a new mod literally self-destruct this week but your entire mod board was leaked to the public. Focus should be placed on cleaning up your department first.

If the 2016 Board needs another mod, throw Dallasfan or Joe or Hash or someone on it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2015, 04:11:07 PM »

i'd be happy to help out as well. i don't really have any specific qualifications that other people haven't listed (a long and active posting history, a non-american timezone, the ability to be impartial when necessary, ...) but i have no life and therefore plenty of time to devote to moderatorly duties.

of the previous applicants i think crabcake, türkisblau and cathcon are the best choices. preferably crabcake, as the mod team in its current state is significantly to the right of the forum as a whole

The current mod team is significantly more British than the forum as a whole also.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2015, 04:47:09 PM »

Pretty sure the last thing that is needed is more mods. You have enough as it is. Not only have you had a new mod literally self-destruct this week but your entire mod board was leaked to the public. Focus should be placed on cleaning up your department first.

If the 2016 Board needs another mod, throw Dallasfan or Joe or Hash or someone on it.

Finally, a voice of reason. Granted, I don't know what level of work the (active) current moderators can reasonably expect to handle, but the moderator:post ratio is already high compared to any other forum I am familiar with.

Yeah, it seems reasonable. They do have experience in the job, something none of the would-be moderators got.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2015, 04:58:34 PM »

i'd be happy to help out as well. i don't really have any specific qualifications that other people haven't listed (a long and active posting history, a non-american timezone, the ability to be impartial when necessary, ...) but i have no life and therefore plenty of time to devote to moderatorly duties.

of the previous applicants i think crabcake, türkisblau and cathcon are the best choices. preferably crabcake, as the mod team in its current state is significantly to the right of the forum as a whole

The current mod team is significantly more British than the forum as a whole also.

Afleitch and Peter (who is inactive)?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2015, 06:11:31 PM »

There may be a lot of moderators, but active mods is another matter. At least half of them log on about once a month, I swear.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2015, 06:21:21 PM »

There may be a lot of moderators, but active mods is another matter. At least half of them log on about once a month, I swear.

Also this site's moderators aren't really site-wide moderators. They tend to stick to policing the forums they frequent, as opposed to the site as a whole like most forums I've seen. It's not really a fair comparison.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2015, 10:32:52 PM »

Also this site's moderators aren't really site-wide moderators. They tend to stick to policing the forums they frequent, as opposed to the site as a whole like most forums I've seen. It's not really a fair comparison.

Our system works decently as long as there is an active Modadmin.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2015, 12:19:51 AM »

yes hi i'd like to submit an application to the moderatorship to any of the "wonderful" boards (2016, congressional elections, etc.)
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2015, 12:54:46 AM »

I'll go ahead and Lincoln Chafee my name into the ring in case you're looking for an outside-the-box choice. You probably don't know me, but I've actually been here for like four years. I'm basically a long-time lurker but infrequent poster. I've always tried to make a point of speaking truth to nonsense, and I have a lot of experience fighting trolls across the internet. I'm online frequently, and I basically never sleep, so I could respond quickly to trouble on my board any time of the day. I would be just and reasonable in my moderating, but would smite the real trolls with righteous fury. I am the moderator you deserve.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2015, 01:19:35 AM »

I'm sorry to all the applicants in this thread, but I believe I have the honor:

I demand fuzzy be awarded the position of Modadmin for his accomplishments in this thread Smiley

X Jbrase

^In response to my maps.  I've been line for over three years, so no cutting! 
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2015, 03:11:57 PM »

ftr I would be interested.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2015, 03:13:08 PM »

Endorsed.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2015, 03:15:04 PM »

^^^^ You have my full support, Gully.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2015, 03:26:58 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2015, 03:37:10 PM by Torie »

I think it would be a great show of humility and a step towards healing this community if Leip appointed someone who opposed opebo's banning. The forum was split 50-50 on it, and yet the moderator team apparently supported it unanimously. It's this sort of out-of-step arrogance and unwillingness to engage with the forum community that's caused the moderation staff on here to be such a destructive and negative presence.

That is not quite right. I was absent and had opposed it prior to being absent, and it was really a Dave intervention, that brought about a basic consensus sans myself because of a concern that opebo's antics were threatening his business model. But unlike you, I accept the ban decisions that are made in good faith, even if I oppose them. One does not always get one's way, and you win some, and lose some. I opposed the CCSF banning too, for that matter, although I considered it a difficult and close case. Such is life.

I wonder how many really still want to be a Mod after the recent unpleasantness? It hasn't been fun - at all.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2015, 07:35:04 PM »

Oh God, Gully as a mod would make Inks look downright tolerable.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2015, 09:43:43 PM »

Peter actually appeared recently, It was like Haley's comet, very exciting.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2015, 11:18:14 PM »

I sometimes forget Al is no longer a mod.   

anyway, point is that such quotas are irrelevant as long as there is no threat of bias in moderation.  And I don't see any threat against left-wing posters expressing their views more than against right-wing views; if anything it is the opposite. 
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2015, 05:51:13 AM »

anyway, point is that such quotas are irrelevant as long as there is no threat of bias in moderation.  And I don't see any threat against left-wing posters expressing their views more than against right-wing views; if anything it is the opposite. 

The mod team is generally conservative.

Ernest is a conservative leaning independent
Dallasfan is a conservative leaning independent
Andrew CT is a Republican
Torie is Republican
Badger is Republican (sort of)
MasterJedi is a Republican (but has gone)
Muon is an elected Republican

That leaves Mr Morden who’s a-political, Joe who’s a-political, Alcon who’s generally a-political as is The Mikado, Hashemite who’s more concerned about international politics, Gustaf who’s Swedish, Tender who’s Austrian, myself Scottish (and even I could be considered conservative), Beet who’s mute and Peter who’s English and gone.

Mr Moderate is probably the only one who argues from the Democratic position at the present time
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2015, 08:48:07 AM »

Torie is Republican [a DINO]

Fixed.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2015, 09:01:25 AM »

It is weird how Badger was initially picked as the Democrat and Mr. Moderate as the Republican for US General Discussion moderatorship.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2015, 11:18:59 AM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2015, 11:41:41 AM »

The mod team is generally conservative.

Torie is Republican

That leaves Mr Morden who’s a-political, Joe who’s a-political, Alcon who’s generally a-political as is The Mikado, Hashemite who’s more concerned about international politics, Gustaf who’s Swedish, Tender who’s Austrian, myself Scottish (and even I could be considered conservative), Beet who’s mute and Peter who’s English and gone.

Mr Moderate is probably the only one who argues from the Democratic position at the present time

lol, so Joe is not a Democrat but AndrewCT is a Republican?  anyway, why are you randomly limiting this to US politics?   The relevant question is how moderators treat posters according to the ideologies of those posters.  Left-wing posts are treated more harshly than right-wing posts by no moderator (not even Ernest I don't think) while compare the numerous posts on here calling for death to capitalists that no one has any interest to infract, to your wars against CCSF or jmfsct.  Longtime right-wingers on this site are on average slightly better at tolerating the presence of views that they strongly disagree with; given that we are a minority here, we have to be.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2015, 11:51:44 AM »

Fixed.
The political leanings of the mods shouldn't really matter for them to do a decent job.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2015, 11:57:07 AM »

Andrew CT is a moderate Republican
Muon is an elected moderate Republican
Tender is a Green with lots of idiosyncracies - some of them right wing
Gustaf is Moderate Conservative
Joe Republic is a Democrat (sort of)
Hash is a Left Lberal of sorts
afleitch is a (Tartan) Tory
Alcon and Morden seems like being more on the left than right.
Mikado is a strange mix

Mods seems to be mostly moderately centre-right. I agree right wingers are generally judged harder than True Leftists, but I think it is mostly because True Leftists are not being taken entirely serious. Some defenders of Left Liberalism are allowed to be nastier than people with other ideologies because they have the standard ideology.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies