Office of Northeast CJO cinyc (June Northern Election Results Posted)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:50:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Northeast CJO cinyc (June Northern Election Results Posted)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Office of Northeast CJO cinyc (June Northern Election Results Posted)  (Read 9305 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2015, 12:23:58 PM »
« edited: June 13, 2016, 12:16:39 PM by cinyc »

Welcome to my office!  Here, you will find the official business of the Northeast Chief Judicial Office, including election information and sample ballots.

Election Information

Next regularly-scheduled election: Likely none.  If the new Senate is not seated by June 17, June 17-19
On Ballot: Governor; Northeast Assembly (3 or 5 seats, depending on number of candidates)
Deadline to declare: 1:00AM EDT on Thursday, June 16
A sample ballot will be placed in this office on Thursday, June 16.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 12:24:19 PM »

Reserved
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 12:50:57 PM »

Interesting development
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=216126.0
You must be logged in to read this quote.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 01:03:41 PM »

The registrar is correct - SWE is not a Northeast citizen and therefore will not be on the ballot next week.

The GM hasn't been recognizing non-Governor sponsored militias.  And the Acting Governor has already called up the Northeast militia to defend the Northeast against invasion.  I doubt SWE will get far. 

If SWE enters the Northeast, engages in insurrection against the Northeast and is brought up on charges, I suppose we could hold a trial.  I'm not a prosecutor, though, just a judge.  The Northeast doesn't have an AG, so it's not clear who would bring charges or even what those charges would be.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 10:47:12 PM »

The election information in the first post with the dates and the deadlines is a useful tool you provide for citizens.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 12:13:48 AM »
« Edited: July 26, 2015, 12:37:01 AM by cinyc »

Official Results - Assembly Special Election II, July 2015

Total voters: 17
Invalid votes: Pessimistic Antineutrino (Failed Activity Requirement); Clark Kent (Failed 7 day requirement)
Total Valid Voters: 15
Quota = 15/(1+1) + 1 = 8

Poirot wrote himself in and therefore is a valid candidate.  Dallasfan did not declare or write himself in and is not a valid candidate.

First Preference Count:
JoMCaR: 8
Poirot: 7

No candidate exceeds quota.  Candidate with lowest vote total (Poirot) is eliminated.  JoMCaR is duly elected to the Northeast Assembly.

x CJO cinyc
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 12:29:03 AM »

Announcement:  Because the Northeast Constitution specifies that voting booths be open on "Eastern Standard Time", the voting booths for all future Northeast elections for which an opening or closing at midnight Eastern Standard Time is specified by constitution or law will open at 1AM Eastern Daylight Time on Fridays during daylight savings time (part of spring, all of summer, part of fall).  Those voting booths will also be closed at 1AM Eastern Daylight Time the following Monday, instead of midnight.  This will generally follow the opening times federal voting booths, at least recently.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 10:40:09 AM »

excellent. atlasia abolished daylight savings time last year so this is a change that makes sense.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 11:02:20 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2015, 05:57:42 PM by cinyc »

Sample Ballot for this weekend's election.  Please let me know if there are any errors or omissions:

[ ] Aye
[ ] Nay

Referendum on Save the Animals Act
Shall the Save the Animals Act be made law?

[ ] Yes
[ ] No[/quote]
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 11:04:36 PM »

Please note that I have preliminarily decided to put SWE on the ballot, despite not being resident in the Northeast.  Unfortunately, the Northeast Constitution has no requirement that the Governor be a registered voter in the Northeast, unlike for Northeast Representatives or CJO.  So I have no obvious power to keep him off the ballot. 

If someone knows of some law or precedent to keep a non-Northeasterner off of the gubernatorial ballot, please let me know.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 12:01:30 AM »
« Edited: July 24, 2015, 12:08:10 AM by cinyc »

The voting booth for the Northeast Special Gubernatorial and Referenda Election is now open.  You can click here to open the booth.

For your vote to count, you must be a registered voter in the Northeast at the time of the election and have posted at least 10 times in the Atlas forum from May 28 to July 23.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 10:29:00 PM »

For your vote to count, you must be a registered voter in the Northeast at the time of the election

Will you apply a 7 days living in the region for a ballot to be valid ?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 10:41:31 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2015, 10:45:34 PM by cinyc »

For your vote to count, you must be a registered voter in the Northeast at the time of the election

I have to research that, if it is relevant.  Is it relevant?  My preliminary answer is yes.

I know that our ancient voter regulations from the time before the Assembly require 7 days living in the region before voting.  But these things have been amended from time to time without any notice on the Wiki, if they are even on the Wiki.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 10:53:40 PM »

Please note that I have preliminarily decided to put SWE on the ballot, despite not being resident in the Northeast.  Unfortunately, the Northeast Constitution has no requirement that the Governor be a registered voter in the Northeast, unlike for Northeast Representatives or CJO.  So I have no obvious power to keep him off the ballot.  

If someone knows of some law or precedent to keep a non-Northeasterner off of the gubernatorial ballot, please let me know.

This is an absolute outrage to have someone on the ballot for the office of Northeast Governor who is not even resident in the Northeast.

His motives for running for Northeast Governor while he is in fact resident in another region is suspect to say the least.  If he doesn't even care enough to be resident in the region he hopes to lead then he has no business being Governor of said region.

This is stupidity run amok and must not be tolerated.

Precedent alone should be enough to keep this carpetbagger off the ballot.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 10:57:02 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2015, 11:02:19 PM by cinyc »

This is an absolute outrage to have someone on the ballot for the office of Northeast Governor who is not even resident in the Northeast.

His motives for running for Northeast Governor while he is in fact resident in another region is suspect to say the least.  If he doesn't even care enough to be resident in the region he hopes to lead then he has no business being Governor of said region.

The Northeast Constitution trumps any precedent (and best I can tell, it is unprecedented, anyway).  There is a specific requirement that the CJO and Northeast Representatives be registered Northeast voters.  There is no such requirement for the Governor.  I can't read something into the constitution that isn't there.  If the voters of the Northeast think someone from outside the region deserves to be governor, so be it.

There will be a constitutional amendment on the August ballot to fix this.  I expect it to pass by a wide margin.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 11:01:07 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2015, 11:30:06 PM by cinyc »

The only people that fail the 7-day requirement are Thinking Crumpets Crumpet, who is a totally new voter, and morgieb, who moved from another region within the 7-day period.  Oakvale moved 7 days prior to the start of the election, I think.  Am I wrong?

Edited to add: And morgieb has voted, so the question is relevant.

I used the registered voter of the Northeast at the time of the election formulation to kind of duck the issue and defer to the Registrar.  But we don't have one right now.  In the absence of a registrar, I'd note that Article V, Section 2, Clause 3 of the Atlasian Constitution states:

So it appears that both the Federal constitution and the regional law I've found require a 7-day waiting period before a registration change is effective.  Therefore, morgieb's vote will be declared invalid, along with those who fail the activity requirement (which is also mandated by the Atlasian Constitution as part of the definition of who is a registered voter.  The Atlasian Supreme Court held that a region cannot maintain a separate voter roll, so we have to follow the federal one.)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 11:28:44 PM »

The Northeast Constitution trumps any precedent (and best I can tell, it is unprecedented, anyway).  There is a specific requirement that the CJO and Northeast Representatives be registered Northeast voters.  There is no such requirement for the Governor.  I can't read something into the constitution that isn't there.  If the voters of the Northeast think someone from outside the region deserves to be governor, so be it.

There will be a constitutional amendment on the August ballot to fix this.  I expect it to pass by a wide margin.

The constitution may not say anything about candidates for Governor must be resident in the Northeast, however, the constitution also does not say specifically that non residents may be candidates for Governor.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2015, 11:36:03 PM »

The constitution may not say anything about candidates for Governor must be resident in the Northeast, however, the constitution also does not say specifically that non residents may be candidates for Governor.

Which I'd use as a good argument to block non-Northeasterns from the gubernatorial ballot if the constitution also didn't specifically require that the CJO and Northeast Representatives be registered Northeasterners.  But it does.  So the question becomes how to read the absence of a residency requirement for governor in light of the fact that there specifically are requirements for other offices.  I say that if the framers of the Northeast Constitution had intended to limit the governorship to Northeast residents, they would have said so (like for Assembly and CJO).  But they didn't - either on purpose or as an oversight.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 12:21:22 AM »

Official Results - Northeast Gubernatorial Special Election and Referenda - July 2015

Total voters: 28
Invalid votes:
-Oakvale (Not resident of Northeast for full 7 days before the election)
-morgieb (Not resident of Northeast for full 7 days before the election)
-Pessimisic Antineutrino (Failed Activity Requirement)
-AutumnLeaf (Failed Activity Requirement)
-Thinking Crumpets Crumpet (Not a registered voter for full 7 days before the election)
Total Valid Voters: 23

Northeast Governor
Quota = 23/(1+1) + 1 = 12.5, rounded down to 12.

Poirot wrote himself in and therefore is a valid candidate.  hantheguitarman did not declare or write himself in and is not a valid candidate.

First Preference Count:
Blair2015: 8 (smoltchanov, dkrolga, Eraserhead, Winfield, cinyc, NHI, Blair2015, Poirot) 
Pikachu: 6 (rpryor03, ClarkKent, Castro2020, JoMCaR, RGN08, Pikachu)
Oakvale: 6 (Dallasfan65, Matt from VT, Peeperkorn, DemPGH, bore, polnut)   
evergreen: 3 (evergreen, Alfred F. Jones, twistory123) 
SomebodyWhoExists: 0
Poirot: 0

No candidate exceeds quota.  Candidates with zero votes and lowest total (SomebodyWhoExists, Poirot and evergreen) eliminated.

Second count - allocate evergreen's votes to later preferences:
Gains:
Pikachu: 2 (evergreen, twistory123)
Exhausted: 1 (Alfred F. Jones)

Count:
Blair2015: 8
Pikachu: 8
Oakvale: 6
Exhausted: 1

No candidate exceeds quota.  Candidate with lowest vote total (Oakvale) is eliminated.

Third Count -  allocate Oakvale's votes to later preferences:
Gains:
Pikachu: 3 (Matt from VT, Peeperkorn, polnut)
Blair2015: 2 (DemPGH, bore)
Exhausted: 1 (Dallasfan65)

Count:
Pikachu: 11
Blair2015: 10
Exhuasted: 2

No candidate exceeds quota.  Candidate with lowest vote total (Blair2015) is eliminated.  Pikachu is elected Governor of the Northeast.

Ratification of Assembly Inactivity Amendment
Aye: 20
Nay: 1

The Assembly Inactivity Amendment has been ratified and becomes part of the Northeast Constitution.

Referendum on Save the Animals Act
Yes: 2
No: 18

The Save the Animals Act fails and will not become law.

x CJO cinyc
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 01:01:29 AM »

Lost my 1 vote, always feels good, Will be making a statement shortly
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 01:23:41 AM »

Did Clyde not vote?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 01:27:47 AM »

On Holiday, along with Griff being banned hurt me
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 02:16:01 AM »

If you had tied on the final count, would you have won?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 06:29:03 AM »

The first tiebreaker in Northeast regional elections is second place preferences, then a condorocet count.  I think that means after losing candidates are taken off the ballot.  Please feel free to calculate any hypothetical outcomes you want.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 10:34:41 AM »

I am of course disappointed but given Blair's decision to deregister any legal challenge would not materially affect the final outcome. I congratulate Pikachu wholeheartedly on his victory.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies