Politics and Elections in the Netherlands: coalition agreement presented
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:03:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Politics and Elections in the Netherlands: coalition agreement presented
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 96
Author Topic: Politics and Elections in the Netherlands: coalition agreement presented  (Read 271920 times)
I Won - Get Over It
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: March 12, 2017, 06:44:32 AM »

I think PVV (and Erdogan) will benefit from it...
SunSt0rm
Netherlands

« Reply #1076 on: March 12, 2017, 07:17:28 AM »
« Edited: March 12, 2017, 07:19:24 AM by SunSt0rm »

If CDA ends up first, they should make a coalition with VVD, PVV, 50+ and SGP (it has the majority of seats). I suppose that some "deceived" PVV and 50+ would vote for them for the next election, consolidating their place as first party.

The party members wont allow it this time. The party almost split last time. And with the radical stances of Wilders nowadays it almost impossible that a deal can be striked this time
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #1077 on: March 12, 2017, 07:44:40 AM »

If CDA ends up first, they should make a coalition with VVD, PVV, 50+ and SGP (it has the majority of seats). I suppose that some "deceived" PVV and 50+ would vote for them for the next election, consolidating their place as first party.

The party members wont allow it this time. The party almost split last time. And with the radical stances of Wilders nowadays it almost impossible that a deal can be striked this time

struck
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1078 on: March 12, 2017, 08:24:20 AM »

This is minor related to the other objections, but SGP has never been in government before and it's difficult to see what kind of coalition deal would be tolerable to both them and VVD.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #1079 on: March 12, 2017, 08:38:05 AM »

This is minor related to the other objections, but SGP has never been in government before and it's difficult to see what kind of coalition deal would be tolerable to both them and VVD.

On things like taxes, the economy and defense the SGP and VVD are quite close to each other. There are differences on ethical issues but I think the SGP would agree to support a government as long as progressive legislation will be blocked and I don't think the VVD cares that much about these issues. In fact the SGP played a big role in passing government policy (VVD and PvdA needed D66, SGP and CU in the senate). I don't think the SGP will be in government but I can see them supporting a VVD-CDA-D66-CU minority coalition. D66 and CU/SGP would be the real problem there.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #1080 on: March 12, 2017, 08:48:57 AM »

That's not going to happen and if CDA does decide to do it, the next election would be a total disaster for CDA, like the 2012 election.
It was a total disaster for the CDA because they were the minor coalition partner, it would have been totally different if they were the leading coalition party.

And yes of course that won't happen, they should though

Why should the CDA ally with a man who double crossed them last time they worked together?
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #1081 on: March 12, 2017, 09:14:51 AM »

PVV will not be in the next government. It just isn't going to happen. The next government probably will be VVD-CDA-D66 with 1 or 2 other parties. I suppose there is an outside chance for CDA-D66-GroenLinks-PvdA-SP if Buma decides personal ambition and his grudge towards Rutte are more important than his own party but I don't think that will happen.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1082 on: March 12, 2017, 11:05:04 AM »

My gut tells me this will hardly affect the election, given the Dutch are closing ranks on this.
A (small) rallying around the flag effect (for the VVD) cannot be ruled out either. Peil.nl will publish a poll in two hours, so we'll see what happens.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1083 on: March 12, 2017, 11:06:34 AM »

is there any party which wishes to compromise?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1084 on: March 12, 2017, 11:10:09 AM »
« Edited: March 12, 2017, 11:14:56 AM by DavidB. »

DENK "want both Rutte and Erdogan to de-escalate" and haven't publicly picked a side. They cannot afford to piss off their supporters and probably don't think it was a problem for Turkish ministers to come to the Netherlands and campaign for a "yes" vote in the first place. All other parties are in agreement with the government. D66 and SP have been especially vocal about their stance.

Meanwhile, Rutte stated that he wants Erdogan to apologize for his remarks about the Netherlands being a Nazi country, contradicting FM Koenders' earlier statement that asking for apologies would not be useful. Erdogan just called the Netherlands a "banana republic" and said the international community should consider sanctions against us.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1085 on: March 12, 2017, 11:47:07 AM »

My 'brain tumour' thesis is holding up surprisingly well!
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1086 on: March 12, 2017, 11:50:15 AM »

For our Dutch posters Curly

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1087 on: March 12, 2017, 11:54:58 AM »

DENK "want both Rutte and Erdogan to de-escalate" and haven't publicly picked a side. They cannot afford to piss off their supporters and probably don't think it was a problem for Turkish ministers to come to the Netherlands and campaign for a "yes" vote in the first place. All other parties are in agreement with the government. D66 and SP have been especially vocal about their stance.

Meanwhile, Rutte stated that he wants Erdogan to apologize for his remarks about the Netherlands being a Nazi country, contradicting FM Koenders' earlier statement that asking for apologies would not be useful. Erdogan just called the Netherlands a "banana republic" and said the international community should consider sanctions against us.

David, you forgot to mention the 5.000 or so Kurds that were killed by the Erdogan-forces over the past year and the 100.000s that were displaced and tortured and intimidated - because after all being a Kurd is the same as being a terrorist.

How many Kurds did the "banana-Republic" Netherlands torture, displace and kill last year ?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1088 on: March 12, 2017, 01:01:02 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2017, 01:02:53 PM by DavidB. »

Good points, Tender.

Today's peil.nl poll shows that the PVV lost 3 more seats. Still no VVD recovery either, and the momentum lies with CDA, GL and SP. I'm inclined to vote Forum now, though still undecided.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1089 on: March 12, 2017, 01:03:00 PM »

Good points, Tender.

Today's peil.nl poll shows that the PVV lost 3 more seats. Still no VVD recovery either, and the momentum lies with CDA, GL and SP.

With the way this is going, they might end up 3rd, 4th or 5th ... Tongue

Or, there's a last-minute election day surge for them because of the Turkish agitation.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1090 on: March 12, 2017, 01:04:07 PM »

Tomorrow there will be a one-on-one debate between Rutte and Wilders in EenVandaag, and the evening before the election an NOS debate with eight party leaders including Wilders will take place.
seb_pard
« Reply #1091 on: March 12, 2017, 01:10:19 PM »

From what I read Aboutaleb was very vocal against Erdogan yesterday. Could that help him in the post-Asscher PvdA?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1092 on: March 12, 2017, 01:19:14 PM »

From what I read Aboutaleb was very vocal against Erdogan yesterday. Could that help him in the post-Asscher PvdA?
Yeah, and he is already pretty popular. I'd say it is rather likely Aboutaleb will lead the PvdA someday in the future. If he wants to, he can do it. But I expect Asscher to stay on as PvdA leader even after their collapse.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1093 on: March 12, 2017, 01:32:06 PM »

That's not going to happen and if CDA does decide to do it, the next election would be a total disaster for CDA, like the 2012 election.
It was a total disaster for the CDA because they were the minor coalition partner, it would have been totally different if they were the leading coalition party.

Why should the CDA ally with a man who double crossed them last time they worked together?
Because they would get additional votes this time as the major coalition partner?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1094 on: March 12, 2017, 02:51:01 PM »

Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #1095 on: March 12, 2017, 03:14:15 PM »

Because they would get additional votes this time as the major coalition partner?

How? Let's say hypothetically the government is formed of PVV-VVD-CDA, with religious party support (I doubt the CU would join, and they would still find the 1rst chamber hard to get past), a repeat of 2010. Under what circumstances are CDA not the most vulnerable to defection to the Left of them?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1096 on: March 12, 2017, 05:36:47 PM »

As someone who took a year of Turkish but does not know any Dutch, this poster was exceedingly confusing!
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1097 on: March 12, 2017, 05:40:16 PM »

Hahahahaha.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1098 on: March 12, 2017, 05:52:15 PM »

The Netherlands is obviously a banana republic because it has a thriving, competitive democracy. Totally weird, the international community must investigate.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #1099 on: March 12, 2017, 09:07:07 PM »

I like the faux Turkish.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 96  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length