Provisional Parliament: Voting on Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:44:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Provisional Parliament: Voting on Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17
Author Topic: Provisional Parliament: Voting on Amendment  (Read 21544 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 25, 2015, 02:48:52 AM »

25 members is too much. The point isn't to give everyone a seat. I have thoughts on a future upper house of 12 members once the requisite population exists, and I can share if people are interested.

Assuming everyone is agreed on SJoyce's proposal, I have further thoughts on an electoral law. Obviously there should be no such thing as party registration, since that is an Americanism. There will be no state supervision of parties at all, but the Registrar General will grant official recognition to certain political parties provided that they meet a certain threshold of members. Parties are in charge of setting their own membership criteria.

Only officially recognized political parties will be able to nominate lists for elections. This does not mean that independents cannot be elected, since parties can place any registered voter they want on their list, and in any case MPs can once elected opt not to take any whip. The purpose of limiting the ability to nominate candidates to officially recognized parties is to encourage cohesive political parties (which makes the game more fun) and to prevent the ballot from being cluttered without jeopardizing the multi-party system that is developing.

I hope people find this all agreeable.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #126 on: July 25, 2015, 03:12:00 AM »

I'd support a PR list system, just because constituencies are much easier to cheat in a certain sense, and would be hard to support overall. Agree with Xahar below, the UK Parliament is strange in that it has about 3-4 independents out of about 650 MPs. We really need to make parties the backbone of this 
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #127 on: July 25, 2015, 03:34:51 AM »

25 members is too much. The point isn't to give everyone a seat. I have thoughts on a future upper house of 12 members once the requisite population exists, and I can share if people are interested.

Assuming everyone is agreed on SJoyce's proposal, I have further thoughts on an electoral law. Obviously there should be no such thing as party registration, since that is an Americanism. There will be no state supervision of parties at all, but the Registrar General will grant official recognition to certain political parties provided that they meet a certain threshold of members. Parties are in charge of setting their own membership criteria.

Only officially recognized political parties will be able to nominate lists for elections. This does not mean that independents cannot be elected, since parties can place any registered voter they want on their list, and in any case MPs can once elected opt not to take any whip. The purpose of limiting the ability to nominate candidates to officially recognized parties is to encourage cohesive political parties (which makes the game more fun) and to prevent the ballot from being cluttered without jeopardizing the multi-party system that is developing.

I hope people find this all agreeable.

I think it's important that we don't have an even number of MPs. A party or a coalition with 10 seats would be disastrous in terms of gridlock. I'm not suggesting that everyone should have a seat. 25 out of 45 citizens (a number which is likely to increase) still leaves a large portion of the citizenry outside of parliament. If the 25-seat amendment is unpopular, that's fine, but the issue of an even number of MPs needs to be addressed, perhaps with an overhang seat.

I'm curious about your thoughts on an upper house, although I tend to oppose the concept of upper houses in general. And I'm in agreement with the rest of your post.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #128 on: July 25, 2015, 08:58:40 AM »

There could be some sort of formula for number of MPs based on population size. Or if not a formula, then an openness the increase the size of parliament as the country grows. The Canadian House of Commons adds risings fairly frequently, for example. Just something to think about it we do eventually find ourselves with a population of 150+.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #129 on: July 25, 2015, 09:27:13 AM »

I've already pointed out an even parliament can be dealt with as long as the Speaker is elected from the parliament and denied a deliberative vote, so in effect you'd have an odd number of MPs. That said, if people are insistent on having an odd number of MPs, we could easily go to 21 members.

Also, do we have a procedure to fill vacancies? Would they just go to the first unelected position on the vacating member's list?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #130 on: July 25, 2015, 10:32:16 AM »

I object to PJ's amendment.

A vote is now open on the following amendment, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Voting will continue until a majority is reached in favor or opposed, or until the allotted debate time expires.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #131 on: July 25, 2015, 10:33:03 AM »

Nay

25 is too much.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #132 on: July 25, 2015, 10:36:53 AM »

Nay
We don't have enough members for 25 yet.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2015, 10:37:42 AM »

Nay
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2015, 10:43:45 AM »

nay
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #135 on: July 25, 2015, 11:03:36 AM »

NAY.

21 is ideal.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #136 on: July 25, 2015, 11:05:41 AM »

Nay. 21 would be best.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #137 on: July 25, 2015, 12:01:09 PM »

I hardly think an odd number is necessary. Plenty of legislatures have an even number of seats all around the world. The rule is that a majority is necessary, and obviously 10 is not a majority, so 11 is needed. It would only be a problem if the legislature were divided into intractable opposing blocs of 10, which would run counter to the purpose of the game given the expressed interest of everyone in a multi-party system.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: July 25, 2015, 12:07:58 PM »

I hardly think an odd number is necessary. Plenty of legislatures have an even number of seats all around the world. The rule is that a majority is necessary, and obviously 10 is not a majority, so 11 is needed. It would only be a problem if the legislature were divided into intractable opposing blocs of 10, which would run counter to the purpose of the game given the expressed interest of everyone in a multi-party system.

It would be entertaining to have a majority hinge upon a single seat in an 11-10 split rather than a 11-9 though.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #139 on: July 25, 2015, 12:21:17 PM »

Aye.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2015, 01:00:27 PM »

Once we get done voting on this amendment, I'm going to propose an amendment that sets 21 as the number of seats for Parliament.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2015, 01:10:36 PM »

Non

---

The traditional thing to do with even numbers is to give the chairman a weighted vote in the event of a tie, fwiw.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #142 on: July 25, 2015, 01:23:23 PM »

Nay, I like 21.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #143 on: July 25, 2015, 01:58:47 PM »

Nay. I support 21.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #144 on: July 25, 2015, 02:32:52 PM »

Nay.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #145 on: July 25, 2015, 03:05:07 PM »

The amendment fails.

Offering the following amendment:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I figured we needed a name, and Foucaulf suggested Patagonia in #mockparliment last night, and I think it's fitting. 
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #146 on: July 25, 2015, 03:09:22 PM »

The name Patagonia only refers to a small part of the South American continent, so I don't think it's appropriate.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #147 on: July 25, 2015, 03:10:33 PM »

The name Patagonia only refers to a small part of the South American continent, so I don't think it's appropriate.

What would you suggest? I'm willing to modify the amendment, of course.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #148 on: July 25, 2015, 03:36:25 PM »

It's boring but I'm fine with just "South America" tbh since I think since Atlasia's taken any other name will be some cringe thing
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #149 on: July 25, 2015, 03:37:46 PM »

How about "The Federation of South America"?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies