Provisional Parliament: Voting on Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:50:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Provisional Parliament: Voting on Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17
Author Topic: Provisional Parliament: Voting on Amendment  (Read 21366 times)
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: August 06, 2015, 02:07:33 PM »

I'm alright with Hash as president. With Hagrid's statement, it seems like he's the only real candidate, and I never thought he'd be bad at the job.

So, I presume we're doing Talleyrand's bill next.

I object to this bit here:

Seriously, why the heck do we need that? It achieves nothing other than making it harder for both to co-exist--maybe you're okay with that, but I'm very much not.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #351 on: August 06, 2015, 02:11:52 PM »

Not really. If we want this game to co-exist with Atlasia, it doesn't make any sense for people to be able to hold offices in both countries. That makes absolutely no sense, especially in situations where we're conducting foreign relations and the like. It should also be noted that it doesn't prevent people from being citizens of both countries, just holding offices in both.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #352 on: August 06, 2015, 02:13:19 PM »

Indeed: it guarantees the stability - and to be absolutely blunt the loyalty - of our institutions at a critical moment in their development.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #353 on: August 06, 2015, 02:23:12 PM »

I'm alright with Hash as president. With Hagrid's statement, it seems like he's the only real candidate, and I never thought he'd be bad at the job.

So, I presume we're doing Talleyrand's bill next.

I object to this bit here:

Seriously, why the heck do we need that? It achieves nothing other than making it harder for both to co-exist--maybe you're okay with that, but I'm very much not.

Well Atlasia is hardly going to be around for much longer, and if anything it makes it easier not harder for the two games to co-exist
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #354 on: August 06, 2015, 02:35:16 PM »

All 3 of you have already concluded that Atlasia's dead, Al and Talleyrand even leading the charge to kill it before they left (I'll give Blair credit; he was very much pro-Atlasia for a while, and when he got bored left quietly without trying to ruin it for everyone else).

My point is that it's not the most unbiased of opinions. So someone like me who still has hope that Atlasia can continue but has enough time to do both can't do both?
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #355 on: August 06, 2015, 02:39:55 PM »

It doesn't matter to me whether Atlasia is dead or not; in fact, I think it'd actually be more interesting if survived simply b/c of the foreign relations aspect we could bring to mock parliament.

If you have time to do both, then you can be an officeholder in one and and an active non-office holding player in the other. Is that really so difficult?
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #356 on: August 06, 2015, 07:23:23 PM »

There may be good in-game excuses for this amendment, but it seems far too likely to suck the oxygen out of both games to be worth it. Even in the best of times for Atlasia there were never more than 50 or 60 active players (and that's generous) at any given time who could be reliably depended on; there just aren't enough of them to split and have both games to work.

Atlasia is still shedding members and is in a bad state but there's no reason to expect everyone to automatically pick this game over it, especially in the critical early period when this game isn't well established. Anyone who is far enough down on their party lists that they might not get in would have every reason to pick a guaranteed position in Atlasia over forced zombie status in both.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #357 on: August 06, 2015, 10:11:46 PM »

Individuals can still run for office while an officeholder in Atlasia; all that clause does is force them to choose which one to serve in should they be elected to an office in South America as well. It doesn't force anyone to automatically pick anything.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #358 on: August 06, 2015, 10:30:02 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2015, 10:31:55 PM by Dereich »

Individuals can still run for office while an officeholder in Atlasia; all that clause does is force them to choose which one to serve in should they be elected to an office in South America as well. It doesn't force anyone to automatically pick anything.

Doesn't it? In the end you'll have to chose Atlasia or South America if you can't be active in both. I'm still not certain why you'd pick South America if your chances in an election are much more uncertain. The power of the parties over individuals would help in that; I don't think members who aren't PM candidates will have much reason to campaign, especially as opposed to Atlasian elections.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #359 on: August 07, 2015, 03:48:37 AM »

By definition it forces people to pick.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #360 on: August 07, 2015, 07:41:07 AM »

You would pick South America because it has a lot more uncertainty, excitement, and intrigue to offer in a game. If someone is only interested in having a position, obviously they would pick Atlasia, where there is a massive surplus of offices (although I've heard that there is an effort to trim this down atm).

In addition, there are multiple roles in a parliament besides PM, including a huge set of ministries. Not to mention that there are widely differing levels of activity required in this game. For example, all a backbench MP is expected to do here (at least now) is show up and vote and maybe occasionally make a comment. You would be crucified if that's all you did as an officeholder in the Atlasian Senate.

Regardless, it doesn't make any sense if we're trying to put these two games in the same universe to allow someone to serve, say as both as an MP in South America and a Senator in Atlasia, especially when we try to inject foreign affairs into the game.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #361 on: August 07, 2015, 10:11:04 AM »

Given that this is clearly a contentious issue I suspect it might be better if we let the people decide (i.e. debate it after the election). Actually I suspect that it would be for the best if the Provisional Parliament is dissolved as soon as all parties have sorted out their lists: which they should do asap.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #362 on: August 07, 2015, 05:17:21 PM »

The amendment designating Hashemite as President as passed.

A final vote is now open upon the Interim Presidency Act. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #363 on: August 07, 2015, 05:21:35 PM »

aye
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #364 on: August 07, 2015, 05:22:00 PM »

Aye
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #365 on: August 07, 2015, 05:50:15 PM »

Aye
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #366 on: August 07, 2015, 06:58:00 PM »

Aye
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #367 on: August 07, 2015, 07:15:03 PM »

Aye.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #368 on: August 07, 2015, 07:38:49 PM »

Aye
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #369 on: August 07, 2015, 07:41:58 PM »

Aye
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #370 on: August 07, 2015, 07:52:44 PM »

Aye.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #371 on: August 07, 2015, 08:24:57 PM »

Aye
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #372 on: August 07, 2015, 09:25:31 PM »

Aye.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #373 on: August 07, 2015, 11:54:40 PM »

aye
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #374 on: August 08, 2015, 05:28:52 PM »

The bill has passed.

Talleyrand's bill to dissolve the Provisional Parliament is now up for debate. Leinard has proposed an amendment striking the clause prohibiting officeholders in South America from serving concurrently as officeholders in Atlasia. I object to this clause, which we will now have a vote on.

Nay
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies